Forced incarceration’: American archivist responds to Las Piñas hospital amid passport issue

mountainside
Posted
Posted (edited)

I can hardly imagine the state of Tewell's Filipina wife.  Her destitute foreigner husband likely to be deported under blacklist, never to return.  His archives perhaps lost forever.  Likely no chance of entry to the US for her unless she's a dual citizen.  And no budget to travel to the US or pay for living expenses in the US, even if she could gain entry.  I hope that none of us or our Filipinas ever come to such a fate.

Edited by mountainside
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, mountainside said:

I can hardly imagine the state of Tewell's Filipina wife.  Her destitute foreigner husband likely to be deported under blacklist, never to return.  His archives perhaps lost forever.  Likely no chance of entry to the US for her unless she's a dual citizen.  And no budget to travel to the US or pay for living expenses in the US, even if she could gain entry.  I hope that none of us or our Filipinas ever come to such a fate.

Amen to that. 

The one and only piece of advice that I'd give to a newcomer is 1) Have exit funds readily available to at least get you home in an emergency and 2) Make sure your partner has access to sufficient funds in the event you are not around for whatever reason.

I'm pretty sure I'm preaching to the converted though.

• Like 3

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

The hospital response stated that they sent a letter to him in 2020 after his counsel had intervened re his passport, and they told him to come and pick it up. No one did.

He says he  couldn't get his extensions w/o his passport.

They billed him more recently, and he had moved from his previous address, so the billing was not responded to, I assume.

Perhaps they notified the immigration re his unpaid bill. I don't know how the events unfolded, but he is apparently being deported for overstaying his visa.

This whole situation started with his operation c. 5 years ago, is my understanding, so there was plenty of time to sort it out and keep his fanny out of the fire. But either indifference or failure  to deal with his ongoing debt situation ended up with him being listed as perhaps an undesirable foreigner dead beat. I'm guess here. 

Although part of his collection, he says, is in the Filipinas Heritage Library, and the rest in his abode, the ownership of the collection upon his demise, returns to his son... who is an academic Ph.D. historian in the U.S.

Too bad he never resolved his issues with the hospital in a timely manner. I guess the Perpetual Help Medical Center didn't offer perpetual debt continuation, as well. Nor did the Bureau of Immigration re his visa overstay.

Mama Mia ! That's a summa bowl a spaghetti with plenty of sloppy sauce you-a got der !

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 6/8/2023 at 9:43 AM, Joey G said:

Like Rocky said.... "you should planned ahead"

Off-topic, just catching up on this thread.  Anybody watching Tulsa King?  Stallone does a good job of making a bad guy likable.  If you like Yellowstone, this is another Taylor Sheridan series.  Stallone with be 75 in July!

Lee
Posted
Posted

If someone thought that they might want to help Mr. Tewell, here is a very recent FB post.

"This coming week I will need transportation to the US Embassy and PH Immigration. Also somebody to be my ears to help if I should have problems understanding speech. I live in Imus City. " (Cavite)  

On the other hand---maybe not.

Another recent FB post:  

"A smear campaign is being waged against me by an entity using tactics that are not true. Out right lies."

• I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Lee said:

If someone thought that they might want to help Mr. Tewell, here is a very recent FB post.

"This coming week I will need transportation to the US Embassy and PH Immigration. Also somebody to be my ears to help if I should have problems understanding speech. I live in Imus City. " (Cavite)  

On the other hand---maybe not.

Another recent FB post:  

"A smear campaign is being waged against me by an entity using tactics that are not true. Out right lies."

I expect either Bureau of Immigration or the PNP will be providing "transportation" in the near future.  

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Sad situation.  Hopefully, there will only be a few and far between.

Lee
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I expect either Bureau of Immigration or the PNP will be providing "transportation" in the near future.  

The jail in the bottom of BI is a rough place for a foreigner so don't tempt fate Mr. Tewell. Just leave the country on your own accord as you have been served notice.

• Like 2