Malaysia Advice

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

We are headed to Malaysia, end of July, for 10 nights.  KL, Genting Highlands and Johor Bahru, most likely.  Any tips for a family?

AirBnbs are cheap.  I think the food will be reasonable.  In KL, we will stay in the city center.  In Johor Bahru, Legoland.

I went to Malaysia in the early 90's, but it was a super quick trip to KL and Penang sponsored by Malaysian Airlines, for cargo customers.  It looks like KL has evolved into a beautiful modern city.  Appears to be clean too.

We are flying AirAsia, which I don't like, but I have to tolerate.  Cebu Pacific is competitive, but the flight times are ridiculous, arriving and departing KL in the middle of the night.  Prices on PAL and Malaysian are almost double!  Last time we flew AirAsia was domestic, and the legroom was so small, I was crammed in like a sardine.  4 hour flight this time, and I have a good exit row seat.

• Like 3

mountainside
Posted
Posted (edited)

KL city center at night:  Petronas Towers and the fountains there.  

Edited by mountainside
edited to remove link to youtube vlogger.
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

We are headed to Malaysia, end of July, for 10 nights.  KL, Genting Highlands and Johor Bahru, most likely.  Any tips for a family?

AirBnbs are cheap.  I think the food will be reasonable.  In KL, we will stay in the city center.  In Johor Bahru, Legoland.

I went to Malaysia in the early 90's, but it was a super quick trip to KL and Penang sponsored by Malaysian Airlines, for cargo customers.  It looks like KL has evolved into a beautiful modern city.  Appears to be clean too.

We are flying AirAsia, which I don't like, but I have to tolerate.  Cebu Pacific is competitive, but the flight times are ridiculous, arriving and departing KL in the middle of the night.  Prices on PAL and Malaysian are almost double!  Last time we flew AirAsia was domestic, and the legroom was so small, I was crammed in like a sardine.  4 hour flight this time, and I have a good exit row seat.

It was a good 15 years ago the last time I was in Malaysia - KL and Penang.  KL was already a developing city by then and has no doubt continued to develop apace.  I liked it but struck me as being a typical Asian city with few real attractions to fill more than a couple of days.  Penang was a very typical beach resort with everything you'd expect albeit less developed and sophisticated than it's Thai counterparts.  

We liked both very much (although my comments above may seem less than enthusiastic) but were without child then so have no idea how attractive they'd be for kids.  The main things I recall doing were the Petronas Towers and KL Tower but there must have been more but I don't recall. 

By coincidence, KL has been the one and only place I've had my credit card cloned - I'm pretty sure it was in the Hard Rock Cafe which was, at that time, a pick-up joint although we weren't aware of that when we went.  

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

It's a long drive from the airport to KL, count on an hour or so,  I strongly suggest getting one of the Avanza taxis because the cheaper, standard ones have much less leg room and low seats.

I'm short (5' 8") and even I was (to quote a renowed car reviewer) 'sitting like a girl in a only fans clip' which isn't comfortable for such an extended trip. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It was a good 15 years ago the last time I was in Malaysia - KL and Penang.  KL was already a developing city by then and has no doubt continued to develop apace.  I liked it but struck me as being a typical Asian city with few real attractions to fill more than a couple of days.  Penang was a very typical beach resort with everything you'd expect albeit less developed and sophisticated than it's Thai counterparts.  

We liked both very much (although my comments above may seem less than enthusiastic) but were without child then so have no idea how attractive they'd be for kids.  The main things I recall doing were the Petronas Towers and KL Tower but there must have been more but I don't recall. 

By coincidence, KL has been the one and only place I've had my credit card cloned - I'm pretty sure it was in the Hard Rock Cafe which was, at that time, a pick-up joint although we weren't aware of that when we went.  

This video I watched yesterday gives a good overview of KLCC without too much detail and pictures of food!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

It's a long drive from the airport to KL, count on an hour or so,  I strongly suggest getting one of the Avanza taxis because the cheaper, standard ones have much less leg room and low seats.

I'm short (5' 8") and even I was (to quote a renowed car reviewer) 'sitting like a girl in a only fans clip' which isn't comfortable for such an extended trip. 

For around p600 a head, there is an express train from the airport to KL Sentral.  Then you can GRAB taxi to your destination.  I will have to see if it is worth it to GRAB direct from the airport, but if it is rush hour, train is probably better.  A couple of vloggers said it took close to two hours for a taxi from the airport, in traffic.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

This video I watched yesterday gives a good overview of KLCC without too much detail and pictures of food!

I'd say about 50% of the stuff on the video is new and wasn't around when we visited - having thought about it it must have been 20+ years since we were last in KL. 

Thanks for posting the video - it brough back memories of things we saw and did that has escaped my mind.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I'd say about 50% of the stuff on the video is new and wasn't around when we visited - having thought about it it must have been 20+ years since we were last in KL. 

Thanks for posting the video - it brough back memories of things we saw and did that has escaped my mind.  

The KLCC park looks amazing!

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Lived there for 5 year in KL... KL is a huge city, with limited u turns on highways if you are driving. Good rest stops but can be up to 20kms to find the nearest U turn on highways. Theres a nice monorail thats easy and yes take the train to KL Sentral from airport . also easy.

If you want to know if a restaurant serves alcohol.. look at the beverage sign as part fo restaurant sign. If it says Coke, no alcohol a halal place. If it says tiger or Carlsberg, alcohol served. Great street food , but only go to the mamak stalls where others are waiting. 

Nasi lemak for breakfast with milo.. ah , used to love that.

• Like 3

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Been flying Air Asia quite a lot of late, I think they are good, unlike Cebu Pacific. I'm a big fella but aisle seat fine. Enjoy your trip!

• Like 2