Love The Philippines Promotion

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mountainside said:

I'm guessing I could clear Clark and be well on my way in the time it would take me to hit the taxi line at NAIA.  With a lot less hassle.

You could expect  2 -3 hrs travel time on a bus to get from Clark to Manila.

Edited by Lee
added info
  • Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Lee said:

You could expect  2 -3 hrs travel time to get from Clark to Manila.

So about the same time as getting off the plane at NAIA, through customs, collecting luggage and getting to say... Pasay (in my experience).

Not sure it'd save a lot of time for me.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, GeoffH said:

So about the same time as getting off the plane at NAIA, through customs, collecting luggage and getting to say... Pasay (in my experience).

But you might save the hassle?

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

There is that :hystery:

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Whatever hassle that you might have avoided by not going to NAIA would be tempered by the 2-3 hr bus trip back to Manila.

IMO having an airport in Bulacan would be more of the same.

• Like 2

mountainside
Posted
Posted
On 7/5/2023 at 6:00 PM, Lee said:

You could expect  2 -3 hrs travel time on a bus to get from Clark to Manila.

On 7/5/2023 at 6:02 PM, GeoffH said:

On 7/5/2023 at 6:04 PM, Mike J said:

Thanks, Gents.  It would likely be a longer journey from wheels down to final destination, but I'd be happier upon arrival.  It's a personal thing for me.  I just can't stand NAIA and I'm fond of Clark.  And to get myself back on topic, I've always felt welcomed at Clark, but not so much at NAIA. 

• Like 2

Lee
Posted
Posted

A inexperienced political appointee hires a bunch of her home-province amigas with predictable results.

Fire Frasco for the fiasco

Opinion by Rigoberto D. Tiglao • Yesterday 12:10 AM

ICOULDN'T help but use that catchy headline, a rare one as it has both alliteration and rhyme. Perhaps the universe indeed is conspiring against the tourism secretary Christina Garcia Frasco and her P49-million tourism slogan, "Love the Philippines." It has turned out to be a fiasco, and will go down in the department's history as the most ridiculed and disliked among our past six slogans.

An official video for the slogan telling the world to travel to the Philippines and they'll love the country, yet having scenes from Brazil, Indonesia, Switzerland and the United Arab Emirates misrepresented as "lovable" sites here? Ridiculous.

The fiasco is a case study of the high risk of having top officials with no experience in the tourism industry and letting the department head take in as his or her core staff her home-province amigas.

Frasco, one of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr.'s first appointees, has no experience in the tourism industry and her appointment was obviously a spoils-of-war post. She is with the powerful Garcia clan that has ruled the province for decades, the daughter of Cebu Gov. Gwendolyn Garcia, and the representative of Cebu's third congressional district from 2013 to 2019. Her husband is Vincent "Duke" Frasco, representative of Cebu province's fifth district, also a deputy speaker.

Frasco's main work experience had been as a litigation lawyer with a top Manila-based law firm, until she won in 2022 as mayor of Liloan municipality adjacent to Cebu City.

As soon as she was appointed to her post, Frasco immediately replaced three of the department's four top secretaries with Cebu officials: Ferdinand Jumapao, a councilor from Liloan; Ronald Canopio, her mother's private secretary and Cebu City's chief protocol officer; and Elaine Bathan, former chief of staff of former Mandaue City mayor Luigi Quisumbing, a close Garcia clan ally.

Provincial

As smart as Frasco and her three top officials may be, they couldn't have learned the ropes of the tourism industry or advertising in just a year.

These former provincial officials would have been putty in the hands of DDB (Doyle Dane and Bernbach) Worldwide Communications Group LLC, owned by the New York-based Omnicom, the world's largest advertising holdings group. Or perhaps DDB left everything to their incompetent local unit DDB Philippines, a tiny client for the global DDB.

Frasco promptly terminated DDB's contract with her department when the fiasco came into public light. The DoT issued a statement "expressing outrage at the use of non-original stock footage purporting to be scenes from the Philippines." DDB "profusely apologized" but not really: "While the use of stock footage in mood videos is standard practice in the industry, the use of foreign stock footage was an unfortunate oversight on our agency's part."

I haven't read anything about Frasco apologizing for the fiasco. Whether she asked for it or had nothing to do with it, her clan's supporters and allies who called themselves One Cebu Island, issued a statement that "the recent criticisms against the DoT and Frasco are a 'coordinated demolition job' directed at her."

" We maintain that this barrage of criticisms in social and mainstream media is aimed at destroying neither the DoT nor the concerned private advertisement agency, but Secretary Frasco herself," the group's statement claimed. It's just politics, Frasco's supporters are in effect saying.

Who approved it?

Yes, it was the DDB that produced the embarrassingly plagiarized video. But who approved it? Certainly Frasco as chief of the entity that commissioned it, or she could not been doing her job. But who among her three top undersecretaries and close officials reviewed it, and submitted it to her for approval? Her officials are beyond accountability and reproach, it certainly seems.

Did she herself or any of her officials actually view the video presentation? For a video to be viewed globally – its intention as it is an advertising campaign – didn't she ask experts outside the department to vet it? Is she so loyal to her Cebuano officials she can't even disclose who were responsible for this fiasco?

A more professional CEO, whether in government or private corporation, would have immediately fired the officials responsible for the boo-boo. She herself should resign, or her "Love the Philippines" slogan — if the DoT insists should not be dropped — will forever be referred to as "Frasco's Fiasco."

Even before popular blogger and investigative journalist Sass Rogando Sasot posted two weeks ago on Facebook that several images in the campaign video were from other countries (see https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10161101748534085&id=578854084&mibextid=Nif5oz), I already disliked the "Love the Philippines" slogan thinking that it was just thought of by some smarty-pants official at the DoT.

DDB

I was shocked how a global advertising firm like DDB — legendary for its "Think Small" slogan for the Volkswagen Beetle and Avis " We Try Harder" — could have proposed such an overused, syrupy slogan, unabashedly borrowed from New York City's "I love NY" tourism slogan created half a century ago. At least that slogan was a tribute from someone presumably visiting the city, not something that had some commanding tone.

Since the practice became popular in the 1990s, some 142 countries have adopted tourism slogans, many of them costing millions of dollars to concoct as rich countries like Saudi Arabia and Singapore commissioned top global advertising firms to formulate one for them. Not a single one of these 142 countries' slogans use the clichéd term "love."

Did these 142 countries and their ad firms miss something so attractive as the power of the word "love" in a slogan that only DDB Philippines and the DoT could see?

Among the 10 best, according to a Sydney Morning Herald article, are: Djibouti – "Djibeauty; "Scotland – "A spirit of its own; Morocco – "Much mor"; Cape Verde – "No stress"; Greece – "All time classic"; Latvia – "Best enjoyed slowly"; Argentina – "Beats to your rhythm"; Norway – "Powered by nature"; Austria – "Arrive and revive"; and Turkey – "Be our guest."

Among the 10 worst: Hungary – "Think Hungary more than expected"; Slovakia – "Travel in Slovakia - good idea"; Lithuania – "Real is beautiful"; Tunisia – "I feel like Tunisia"; Cyprus – "Cyprus in your heart"; Honduras – "Everything is here"; Ecuador – "All you need is Ecuador"; Uruguay – "Uruguay natural"; Qatar – "Where dreams come to life"; Luxembourg – "Live your unexpected Luxembourg."

If Frasco insists on having "Love the Philippines," a new category would have to be invented: the corniest, and probably the shortest-lived.

Fire Frasco for the fiasco (msn.com)

image.png

• Like 2

Lee
Posted
Posted

tour.webp

• Haha 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)

https://twitter.com/mmvisuals_/status/1676156863124221960/photo/1

Outrage has erupted among Pinoy netizens as Tourism Secretary Christina Frasco opted for a family getaway in the wake of the disastrous “Love the Philippines” campaign.

https://bilyonaryo.com/2023/07/11/public-outrage-mounts-as-tourism-secretary-takes-family-break-amid-love-the-philippines-campaign-disaster/business/

Edited by Kingpin
  • Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I really like the new proposed slogan by pinoy netizens, "LEAVE THE PHILIPPINES."  It encapsulates Filipino sentiment focused on finding greener pastures overseas.

• Like 2