'Be at the airport three hours before flight.'

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Bureau of Immigration Commissioner Tansingco reminded the public that processing delays and the potential of missing your flight is not their fault.  Passengers are to blame for not showing up at NAIA three hours before flight.  There has also been a significant increase in passenger totals both at NAIA Terminal 1 & 3.  Immigration officers are overwhelmed.  We need to blame passengers who want to travel overseas now that the pandemic is over.  

My assumption is the government has a special fee added to every airline ticket to pay the Bureau of Immigration for expenses related to passenger processing.  With the significant increase in passengers, the amount collected should be substantial, enough to pay overtime and the hiring of new officers.  Am I wrong?

• Like 4

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Bureau of Immigration Commissioner Tansingco reminded the public that processing delays and the potential of missing your flight is not their fault.  Passengers are to blame for not showing up at NAIA three hours before flight. 

It's been some years now but SWMBO was 'questioned' and I wasn't allowed to be present during that process, we were inside the airport 4 hours before our flight.  I had only a few questions and was told I could go through security to board (which I declined to do as I wouldn't leave her behind).

They didn't stop the 'questions' until barely before the gate shut, leaving not enough time for us to get through security (even with assistence from airline staff) before the gate had closed.  The timing of the end of questioning was... 'managed' in my opinion.

Since the delay was caused by immigration staff my travel insurance refused to pay out and it ended up costing us around 100,000 peso in lost air fares and hotel bookings.

Since that time she's flat out refused to travel overseas (and I can't say I blame her) and from what I've read not much has changed over the last 5 years.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 5
  • Sad 8

Joey G
Posted
Posted

3 hours is standard recommendation for international flights at most airports worldwide.  Not always necessary, but for crowded airports makes sense. 

To Geoffs point and experience... agree... the Philippines is often a flat out a mess for Filipino's leaving the country... it was back in 1980 in our first experience and apparently continues today. 

• Like 5

Lee
Posted
Posted

Couldn't all of this traveler questioning and paperwork shuffle be done a day or two prior to travel at your local BI office or perhaps at NAIA ? 

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

This is very much a YMMV scenario.  My wife has never done the seminar and never been held up at immigration on departure; not even her first time out of the country way back when to move to Switzerland with her boss's family (she was the business developent/PA person) back in the early 2000's. I guess since then they see she's been in and out of the country so often they don't see the requirement.  

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

Onemore52
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Bureau of Immigration Commissioner Tansingco reminded the public that processing delays and the potential of missing your flight is not their fault.  Passengers are to blame for not showing up at NAIA three hours before flight.  There has also been a significant increase in passenger totals both at NAIA Terminal 1 & 3.  Immigration officers are overwhelmed.  We need to blame passengers who want to travel overseas now that the pandemic is over.  

My assumption is the government has a special fee added to every airline ticket to pay the Bureau of Immigration for expenses related to passenger processing.  With the significant increase in passengers, the amount collected should be substantial, enough to pay overtime and the hiring of new officers.  Am I wrong?

No, you aren’t wrong, you are using what is called “common sense “, which is  not used here .

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lee said:

Couldn't all of this traveler questioning and paperwork shuffle be done a day or two prior to travel at your local BI office or perhaps at NAIA ? 

It could I'm sure.  But I don't think that would satisfy BI's goal.  

• Like 1

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted

I've taken my girlfriend out of the country 6 or 7 times & no matter what she is always detained with the same stupid questions. while waiting on many occasions distressed foreigners are always there. The last 5 times I've been told, Sir I see you have travelled many times with your girlfriend, but this will be the last time she will face these question's & am told to go thru security but refuse as will not leave her there. I remain respectful & calm (on the outside) but realise that for some reason I cannot fathom, I just Know this will continue in the future. Our last trip to Japan recently, she said you know how much I love travelling right? I said yeah babe, then she said I don't want to go outside Philippines anymore ok. I will not let it stop us tho.

They may be saying they are a bit short staffed with Immigration officers but this last trip recently while waiting for the "questioning" to be complete, no joke I observed a couple of complete meltdowns by passengers and at least 2 dozen of the questioners just standing around chatting doing nothing for up to 40 minutes. Not sure, perhaps a shift change but to me the organising was a mess.

I do appreciate it's a tireless endeavour but honestly believe it could be better streamlined.

• Like 4

Lee
Posted
Posted

BI at J Center can be a mess also.

On one occasion I had to go into the back offices for some type of procedure (don't recall). I was amazed at the half dozen or more BI employees, screened from view of the lobby, sitting at their desks playing with their cell phones. It was the same 3 or 4 employees doing all the work at the windows that were open.