Mail Forwarding from the Home Country?

Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted

For those who still maintain a presence in their home country, especially those in the US, how do you handle mail back home while residing in the Philippines?  We will always maintain a home in the US, to facilitate things like drivers licenses and passports, but have a property in the Philippines where we will spend long periods of time.  Do you have mail forwarded to family or friends back home?  Do you use a mail forwarding service to the Philippines?  Do you let it accumulate and then fly back and look at it every six months or so?  In looking at rates, it seems pretty expensive to forward mail to the Philippines on a routine basis.

Thanks!

Max

Lee
Posted
Posted

I use a mail forwarding service named USA Box out of Miami for $10 per month. They will hold your mail until you ask for it. If you only need to know what is inside a mail piece they will open it, scan a pic, and send it to you. Mail that you don't want they simply toss. You will get a frontal scan of every piece of mail that shows up in your box. They handle packages also. Have used them for several yrs with zero problems.

• Like 4

Possum
Posted
Posted

I also have used USAbox for years, very good service from them.

• Like 1

StayAtHomeDad
Posted
Posted (edited)

I use Traveling Mailbox. Good service, no issues. Little more expensive than some others (like $5 per month more), but for me, it's worth it. And if you pay annually, you get two months for free. So, I guess it evens out.

Edited by StayAtHomeDad
  • Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, StayAtHomeDad said:

I use Traveling Mailbox. Good service, no issues. Little more expensive than some others (like $5 per month more), but for me, it's worth it. And if you pay annually, you get two months for free. So, I guess it evens out.

Same here.  You have to look at all the plans from the different operators and see what fits your situation.  Traveling Mailbox includes a lot of free scans whereas others may not.

I hardly get any mail but a few things from the IRS, so I have to keep it.  I tried using my sister for year or two, but had to fire her and report her to the BBB! :hystery:  Well worth it to hire a pro.

I have never had to have TM send me a package of mail, which can be expensive.  I have received several checks there over the years.  Open, scan, download, print, then use my Chase Bank App to take a picture and deposit.  Never had an issue.

Another consideration for the OP is taxes.  Most people choose a state with no income tax, so you can potentially make that your home state.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Same here.  You have to look at all the plans from the different operators and see what fits your situation.  Traveling Mailbox includes a lot of free scans whereas others may not.

I hardly get any mail but a few things from the IRS, so I have to keep it.  I tried using my sister for year or two, but had to fire her and report her to the BBB! :hystery:  Well worth it to hire a pro.

I have never had to have TM send me a package of mail, which can be expensive.  I have received several checks there over the years.  Open, scan, download, print, then use my Chase Bank App to take a picture and deposit.  Never had an issue.

Another consideration for the OP is taxes.  Most people choose a state with no income tax, so you can potentially make that your home state.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you just can't claim a state as your home state as easily as you could 20/30 years ago, especially with the Real ID Act in play now.

You will need some type of state ID, most commonly a driver's license or a state issued ID showing a current address for the US Postal system. 

In order to get the state ID you will need to prove your residency of that state with at least two documents showing your name, address etc, usually by utility bills, insurance, rental contract, school, business etc.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but you just can't claim a state as your home state as easily as you could 20/30 years ago, especially with the Real ID Act in play now.

You will need some type of state ID, most commonly a driver's license or a state issued ID showing a current address for the US Postal system. 

In order to get the state ID you will need to prove your residency of that state with at least two documents showing your name, address etc, usually by utility bills, insurance, rental contract, school, business etc.

You’re correct, but some of the mail forwarding services can help establish residency and get you your drivers license or state issued ID card (for a fee). The one I use is in Crestview Florida is designed for RV’ers and offers that service. The address is a street address and you do not need to use a PO or PMB box number. You can simply add your “box” number to the end of the street address. Florida accepts it as a valid address. A cell phone bill counts as a utility bill and you can use a bank or credit card statement as well.

They are the same as many of the other services, they scan the envelope and you get an email notification. Log into your account, or use their app, and decide if you want it opened and scanned or shredded. If you open it then you can decide to have it forwarded, held (I think for up to 6 months) or shredded. 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

We retired nearly 10 years ago, moving from Hawaii to South Dakota.  To make sure the former state tax collectors won't pursue making a claim, we opened a local bank account, exchanged our driver's license for SD (renewable online once extending validity to 10 years), registered our then new RV, and got an authorized mail forwarding service.  The forwarding service is a requirement for government mail like IRS notices and vehicle license renewal.  Two additional forms required our signature.  The first is a Nomad Certification, meaning we won't be staying.  This means no notices for state or federal jury service.  Voting is through mail-in ballots.  The second form is stating our intent to relocate in South Dakota sometime in the future.  To establish residency, we needed to stay at a hotel or motel one night and show the receipt.  

The mail forwarding service is excellent.  Last month, I received an email that my annual vehicle registration renewal was due in August.  I needed to send them a bank check for the amount required and they charged my account for postage and handling.  Last Saturday, I received an email that the tags and paperwork are ready to be mailed.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MotorSarge said:

Yes, not so easy but that is why I said "potentially".  It's a start.  Getting a mailbox in California would be a huge mistake for some.  The tax collector will be all over you even if you pay taxes in another state.

• Like 1