Mail Forwarding from the Home Country?

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but you just can't claim a state as your home state as easily as you could 20/30 years ago, especially with the Real ID Act in play now.

You will need some type of state ID, most commonly a driver's license or a state issued ID showing a current address for the US Postal system. 

In order to get the state ID you will need to prove your residency of that state with at least two documents showing your name, address etc, usually by utility bills, insurance, rental contract, school, business etc.

For those (like me) no familiar with the Real ID Act.  Following is from Wikipedia

<snip>

The Real ID Act of 2005 (stylized as REAL ID Act of 2005) is an Act of Congress that establishes requirements that driver licenses and identification cards issued by U.S. states and territories must satisfy to be accepted for accessing federal government facilities and nuclear power plants and for boarding airline flights in the United States. The requirements include verification of the personal information presented when applying for the identification document, security features on the document, and electronic sharing of databases between states. The act also made various modifications to U.S. immigration law regarding asylum, border security, deportation, and certain work visas.[1]

Enacted in response to the September 11 attacks, the provisions regarding identification documents were originally intended to take effect in 2008, but enforcement was repeatedly delayed due to widespread opposition and refusal by many state governments to implement them.[2] Eventually states began to comply in 2012, and enforcement began in 2014 for certain federal facilities. After numerous extensions, by 2021 all states and territories were certified as compliant except American Samoa, which remained under review. As of 2023, the final and most significant phase of the implementation, regarding identification documents accepted for boarding flights, was scheduled for May 7, 2025, after being postponed many times

<end snip>

Gator
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Mike J said:

For those (like me) no familiar with the Real ID Act.  Following is from Wikipedia

Lots of controversy around that law concerning privacy, hence the long delay to implement it, but soon you will have no other choice if you want to continue to legally drive in the USA, board an airplane or enter a federal facility where an ID check is required. 

I believe the requirements are the same for all states, but here’s how to get it in Florida (from the FL DHSMV - Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles)  

How to apply for the REAL ID in Florida

To apply for the new card, you'll need to gather a few documents and take a trip to the DMV. 

1. First gather any of the following identity documents:

• Valid U.S. passport
  • Birth certificate
  • U.S. certificate or consular report of birth abroad
  • Certificate of naturalization or citizenship
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card
  • Unexpired employment authorization document (EAD) Card (I-766) or valid/expired EAD Card with Notice of Action (I-797 C)
  • Unexpired Permanent Resident Card or valid/expired Permanent Resident Card with Notice of Action (I-797 C) or Approval Notice (I-797)
  • Unexpired foreign passport stamped "Processed for I-551"
  • Documents reflecting Temporary Protected Status (TPS) benefit eligibility

2. Then find proof of your social security number (full number required)

• Social Security card
  • W-2 form
  • SSA-1099 form
  • Non-SSA-1099 form
  • Paystub

3. Gather two of these documents to prove Florida residency

• Home utility bills (including cellular phone)
  • Medical documents
  • Car or Boat registration
  • Employment documents
  • Insurance documents
  • Bank and Financial institution records
  • Change of Address confirmation by the U.S. Postal Service
  • Mortgage bill
  • Rental or lease agreement (signed by owner and tenant)
  • IRS or Florida FTB tax return
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Gator said:

How to apply for the REAL ID in Florida

Wow, one more reason I am happy to be living in the Philippines.

• Haha 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

As a Brit reading all this about state tax, state residence etc etc

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, hk blues said:

As a Brit reading all this about state tax, state residence etc etc

We have state taxes, state licenses and state residence for tax purposes in Australia as well, although I'd say that states rights are more extensive in the US than in Australia.

I assumed Scotland, Wales and Northern Island had something similar? 

They have their own parliments, are you saying they don't have taxation rights upon the citizens who live in their jurisdictions?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

We have state taxes, state licenses and state residence for tax purposes in Australia as well, although I'd say that states rights are more extensive in the US than in Australia.

I assumed Scotland, Wales and Northern Island had something similar? 

They have their own parliments, are you saying they don't have taxation rights upon the citizens who live in their jurisdictions?

Not really.  The idea that Scotland, Wales and N Ireland have their own parliament is a bit off in that each of those are mini-parliaments in reality with limited powers and jurisdictions.  It's nothing at all like the system in the USA or Oz.  And even if it was, it would only be for 4 countries rather than the 50 in the USA.   But it's not so that last sentence is moot. 

As for your last question, yes, Scotland has authority to set it's own tax albeit with very strict parameters given by the UK parliament i.e. +/- 1% (I assume Wales and NI similar) but it's purely based on actual residency so no fictitious (for want of a better word) addresses etc to try to chose a tax-efficient location. We have property tax in the UK and all residents have to elect their main residence which is then used to determine which of the 4 tax jurisdictions they come under. 

My main point was the idea of 'choosing' your tax residency at will is, as a Brit, alien. 

ETA - when I say tax in para 2 I mean only income tax. 

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
On 8/11/2023 at 6:57 AM, Gator said:

You’re correct, but some of the mail forwarding services can help establish residency and get you your drivers license or state issued ID card (for a fee). The one I use is in Crestview Florida is designed for RV’ers and offers that service. The address is a street address and you do not need to use a PO or PMB box number. You can simply add your “box” number to the end of the street address. Florida accepts it as a valid address. A cell phone bill counts as a utility bill and you can use a bank or credit card statement as well.

They are the same as many of the other services, they scan the envelope and you get an email notification. Log into your account, or use their app, and decide if you want it opened and scanned or shredded. If you open it then you can decide to have it forwarded, held (I think for up to 6 months) or shredded. 

You can simply add your “box” number to the end of the street address. Florida accepts it as a valid address. 

DMVs do not accept a PO box as a physical address listing on the driver's license. 

Sure, you could use a relative, etc as long as you got the required requested utility bills, etc.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

DMVs do not accept a PO box as a physical address listing on the driver's license. 

South Dakota does.  The reason is the state faces depopulation, and they encourage residency because the share of federal revenues depends on total population.  A large number who use the services are military personnel.  I do face problems with financial institutions regarding the PO box, so we use our son's La Jolla address in San Diego.

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

South Dakota does.  The reason is the state faces depopulation, and they encourage residency because the share of federal revenues depends on total population.  A large number who use the services are military personnel.  I do face problems with financial institutions regarding the PO box, so we use our son's La Jolla address in San Diego.

That has changed, SD requires at least one document with the current physical address.

This is from the Real ID Act:   

A Real ID can be identified with a gold or black star located on the top right third of the ID, depending on the state.[145] As of March 2022, all U.S. states and territories have been certified as compliant with the law except American Samoa, which is under review.[146] See RealID article for dates of adoption by individual states.

Hawaii is suppose to become Real ID compliant in 2025. 

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

And just to add it is also a requirement of the U.S.P.S. that you provide a current physical address to apply for a PO Box now.