Mail Forwarding from the Home Country?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

That has changed, SD requires at least one document with the current physical address.

This is from the Real ID Act:   

A Real ID can be identified with a gold or black star located on the top right third of the ID, depending on the state.[145] As of March 2022, all U.S. states and territories have been certified as compliant with the law except American Samoa, which is under review.[146] See RealID article for dates of adoption by individual states.

Hawaii is suppose to become Real ID compliant in 2025. 

Quickly checking our SD driver's license, it has a gold star and the address embedded in the license is our P.O. Box.  I guess we were grandfathered.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Sorry.  I rechecked the driver's license and found our address is designated as PMB or Private Mail Box.  The treatment could be different from a US Postal Service POB or Postal Office Box.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

You can simply add your “box” number to the end of the street address. Florida accepts it as a valid address. 

DMVs do not accept a PO box as a physical address listing on the driver's license. 

Sure, you could use a relative, etc as long as you got the required requested utility bills, etc.

You’re correct that most DMV’s won’t accept a PO Box as a valid address for the REAL ID.  Sorry I wasn’t clear enough for you to understand what I meant when I said you could simply add your box number to the end of your street address so I’ll spell It out for you. 

What I meant was the address given by most mail forwarding services is a physical street address and you can add the number assigned to you after it. Example: 123 South Main St. 4567, Tampa, FL …….

The 4567 being your “box” number. Writing your address that way is acceptable by the DMV and it’s how it has appeared on my DL for over 25 years. A couple of years ago when I renewed I was issued a REAL DL with the gold star in the upper right corner.  All I showed them was my passport, vehicle registration and a cell phone bill. 

• Like 1