Posted
7 hours ago, Mike J said:

“we will be redefining our definition of classrooms

"A place to drop your kids off, like a day care center but more crowded."

• Haha 5

Gator
Posted
Posted

Niece in grade 11 at a private STEM certified school, but it’s one of those private schools sponsored by an NGO and the Catholic Church. There is no or very little tuition (niece is there on a full boat scholarship). Her class is divided into 5 sections with about 40-45 students per section. 

Wife’s public school, grades 8 to 12, each section has about 40 students. Depends in part on the total class size. For example grade 8 has only 2 sections; 43 and 42 students respectively, grade nine has 3 sections and so on. 

Dividing the classes into sections is how the schools deal with over crowding in the classroom and limiting the workload of the already over worked teachers. As already pointed out, the gov can add as many classrooms as they want, but without getting more qualified teachers it’s a pointless endeavor. 

I recall years ago in Florida in the county where I lived we faced an overcrowding issue in the high schools and the junior high schools. At the time there were 3 high / jr high schools and a 4th one was under construction (there’s also a two private schools as well). To cope with the issue until the 4th school opened, they divided the classes into two shifts: early morning and afternoon. To reduce class size I wonder if the same thing could be applied here (maybe it already is?)? At least in the highly urbanized and overcrowded cities. But of course the same problem arises about getting enough teachers to cover the second shift. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

To cope with the issue until the 4th school opened, they divided the classes into two shifts: early morning and afternoon. To reduce class size I wonder if the same thing could be applied here (maybe it already is?)? At least in the highly urbanized and overcrowded cities.

I think they already do it in a lot of places.  They do here in Olongapo.  My SIL is a teacher in Manila and I think they do it there too.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I think they already do it in a lot of places.  They do here in Olongapo.  My SIL is a teacher in Manila and I think they do it there too.

Out of interest, does this mean each 'shift' is half-day only or is the school day extended (for teachers, I mean)?  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Out of interest, does this mean each 'shift' is half-day only or is the school day extended (for teachers, I mean)?  

I'm not sure about the teachers, but the kids, for instance, might be 6-12 and then 1-7, etc.  However, that might be by age, so young ones in the AM and teens in the PM.  The one school I go by a lot seems to have something like that.

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm not sure about the teachers, but the kids, for instance, might be 6-12 and then 1-7, etc.  However, that might be by age, so young ones in the AM and teens in the PM.  The one school I go by a lot seems to have something like that.

They had half-day schooling when I was working in Hong Kong as they also suffered from class shortages but it was mainly for the younger grades.  I have nothing against half-day classes as long as the time is maximised.  On the optimistic side, a reduced schedule may force schools to reduce the amount of unnecessary activities in order to focus on what's important.

We can but hope! :wink:

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

On the optimistic side, a reduced schedule may force schools to reduce the amount of unnecessary activities in order to focus on what's important.

Less dancing!  :shock_40_anim_gif:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Less dancing!  :shock_40_anim_gif:

No...less math and History! :tongue:

• Sad 1

craftbeerlover
Posted