Are these numbers really be correct?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

There is a small group of young entrepreneurs located in BGC (Bonifacio Global City) raising money to purchase Starlink equipment.  The equipment will be gifted to schools in remote locations to allow students internet access.  I would want to meet them first during my next visit before making a donation. 

Is giving them internet a good thing?  I have my doubts.  In a few years they will be walking around staring at a phone all day.

• Hmm thinking 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Is giving them internet a good thing?  I have my doubts.  In a few years they will be walking around staring at a phone all day.

Good or bad, walking around all day with a mobile phone, whether as an adult, student or child, is inevitable.  Some call it progressive, others a regression.  

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Good or bad, walking around all day with a mobile phone, whether as an adult, student or child, is inevitable.  Some call it progressive, others a regression.  

while I agree that walking around with a mobile phone is inevitable, the statement was actually walking around 'staring' at a phone all day, which I dont think is inevitable.   As how most generations progress, those kids with thoughtful, forward thinking, engaged parents will, for the most part, out perform those that, for example, give their kids a gadget instead of parenting. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

while I agree that walking around with a mobile phone is inevitable, the statement was actually walking around 'staring' at a phone all day, which I dont think is inevitable.   As how most generations progress, those kids with thoughtful, forward thinking, engaged parents will, for the most part, out perform those that, for example, give their kids a gadget instead of parenting. 

You are right, I forgot the word "staring."  We have observed families of four in Philippine restaurants each one staring at phones while waiting for their food.  Also, a mother hands a toddler her phone at a restaurant for entertainment.  Looking at the bright side, the benefit is a quieter restaurant with very little conversation at the other tables.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

My mother-in-law passed away a couple of weeks back.  Papa had passed two years ago.  We are turning the home in a youth drop-in/study center with library and internet for high school and college students.  The staff who cared for Mama will remain and supervise students and care for the house.  There is also a posted notice of acceptable and nonacceptable behaviors.   The books were donations from the USA and not just for display.  Hopefully the students will be encouraged to read real books instead of "Facebook". 

• Like 1
  • Love it 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Looking at the bright side, the benefit is a quieter restaurant with very little conversation at the other tables.

Yep...in itself I don't see a problem.  Would folk complain if the kids were reading a book instead of looking at a smartphone - I doubt it!  Parents can still ensure their kids have good interpersonal skills through other types of interaction.