Are these numbers really be correct?

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, jjcabgou said:

May be a graphic of text

I'm seeing nothing but a black rectangle.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

hmmmm it shows all the colleges that have their funding cut (substantially) for this upcoming year

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 9/4/2023 at 7:37 PM, Guy F. said:

I can see it.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 9/4/2023 at 7:37 PM, Guy F. said:

image.jpeg

• Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

I have issues with making donations to public schools.  We would ask friends with children to donate books which we shipped in Balikbayan boxes or carried as 2nd luggage during visits.  Included was our entire National Geographic collection dating back to 1965 which went to one high school.  On visits, the books remained on the shelves.  The reason why they weren't loaned out was because the school feared the students would get them dirty!  They looked nice on display, just waiting for the termites. 

Our family (the entire clan) decided to become benefactors for a Manila elementary/high school with 3,000 students.  It was named after a great grandfather who was a deputy secretary of public education during the Commonwealth Era.  The main request was for used laptops, none of which made it to the students.  The teachers got all of them and the reason given was the students wouldn't know how to use them.  Unbelievable.  

• Sad 4

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Our family continues to provide support to public school students through an NGO (non-government organization).  They identify children at risk of dropping out after the 3rd grade because parents need them for work at home or as street vendors.  A small monthly stipend to cover school expenses is provided to the parents on condition the child continues with their education.  Random checks are done to make sure the child is attending school.

• Like 1
  • Love it 2

baronapart
Posted
Posted

My wife and I don't even have kids but the parents of her niece and nephew's parents are always messaging her for donations. We made the mistake of making the largest donation for a new gate or some such nonsense. Now we are marked)))

Possum
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Included was our entire National Geographic collection dating back to 1965 which went to one high school.  On visits, the books remained on the shelves.  The reason why they weren't loaned out was because the school feared the students would get them dirty!  They looked nice on display, just waiting for the termites. 

My wife confirms that when she was in public school library books were for display only . Schools required to have them but not required to lend them out. It's another nonsensical aspect of the "education" system here.

• Sad 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, JJReyes said:

We would ask friends with children to donate books which we shipped in Balikbayan boxes or carried as 2nd luggage during visits. 

I just met an interesting neighbor for the first time yesterday.  I have chatted with him and his wife of FB a few times before, but never face to face until they came to our garage sale yesterday.

He is a retired seaman.  I'm not sure if he was a captain or???  He said he first came to Subic Bay in the 80's, shuttling ships back and forth from Taiwan, for repairs.

Now retired, he built his own ship a few years back.  Unusual, to say the least, but I would bet it can handle some severe SE Asia storms!

14444794_10211042221279871_1177615138862628827_o.jpg

Now, what they are doing, is collecting books and delivering them to remote villages on remote islands.  He says he has 3000 lbs of books on board for their next trip.  We are going to give him a bunch of used school books.  He said most of the places they go to don't have internet.

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

He said most of the places they go to don't have internet.

There is a small group of young entrepreneurs located in BGC (Bonifacio Global City) raising money to purchase Starlink equipment.  The equipment will be gifted to schools in remote locations to allow students internet access.  I would want to meet them first during my next visit before making a donation. 

• Like 1