Must be nice!

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I had some small dents on my Honda Brio repaired and painted at this place, and had a complete in/out detail too.  13k.  They do good work but prices are slightly high.   I know the owner a little bit.  I wonder how much he charged for this wash?

https://www.facebook.com/perfectfinishgarage

367316961_23857979110820498_7723276574332502907_n.jpg

Possum
Posted
Posted

In an earlier life I had a 2005 Lotus Elise and after a 2010 Nissan GTR and often wondered what it would be like to have either here. But neither were practical in the USA much less here. The Elise would probably be fun but not family friendly. The GTR? I sold it after one year due to my lack of discipline and a desire for a long life. I'm now perfectly content with a 2009 Hyundai I30 with no worries about the occasional ding.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Possum said:

In an earlier life I had a 2005 Lotus Elise and after a 2010 Nissan GTR and often wondered what it would be like to have either here. But neither were practical in the USA much less here. The Elise would probably be fun but not family friendly. The GTR? I sold it after one year due to my lack of discipline and a desire for a long life. I'm now perfectly content with a 2009 Hyundai I30 with no worries about the occasional ding.

A similar story!  I had a 2007 Corvette in Germany and drove the hell out of it, both on the autobahns and country roads.  Sold it when I moved to Kentucky in 2010 and bought a 2008 Z51 Corvette in the U.S..  I loved it, but it was boring to drive in the U.S.  No place to really drive it.  Sold it when I moved here in 2012.

• Like 4

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Possum said:

When I see one of those types of cars I'll wonder aloud who owns it. My wife always says it is probably someone associated with the government.

Plenty of large local businesses who have a lot more money than you'd think, the large rice mills etc.

There's a Chinese guy my wife rents from that drives round in a 20 mil range rover and owns atleast $10 mil of buildings/land and has businesses aswell. I always joke my wife he's making shabu as he has a 5000 SQM hardware supply warehouse that's never been more than 10% full when I've seen it lol.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Plenty of large local businesses

I would wager that most of those are associated with one of the families that run this country.

On the exotic car subject, what makes it more obscene is that most of the exotic cars cost double here compared to what they sell for in the West,  All that money ends up in somebody's pocket.  The buyers are so wealthy they don't care.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I would wager that most of those are associated with one of the families that run this country.

On the exotic car subject, what makes it more obscene is that most of the exotic cars cost double here compared to what they sell for in the West,  All that money ends up in somebody's pocket.  The buyers are so wealthy they don't care.

Trickle down economics it's called. :wink:

• Haha 2

longway
Posted
Posted
On 9/7/2023 at 4:14 PM, BrettGC said:

My dream car is a little bit more accessible, a Porsche 911, it has been since my teens, but I would never consider owning one here even if I had the means. 

I've only seen two 911's in the Philippines. Both were in Manila. I'm sure there are more out there but rare.

• Like 2

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
On 9/8/2023 at 4:25 AM, OnMyWay said:

A similar story!  I had a 2007 Corvette in Germany and drove the hell out of it, both on the autobahns and country roads.  Sold it when I moved to Kentucky in 2010 and bought a 2008 Z51 Corvette in the U.S..  I loved it, but it was boring to drive in the U.S.  No place to really drive it.  Sold it when I moved here in 2012.

Germany had the most premiere autobahns (not the city or town streets) I ever travelled on.

During the course of my time there I owned 2 different BMWs and a Pontiac and drove them to Rev Limiter every time while on the autobahns.

The Bimmers would top out right around 240KPH and the Pontiaic around 175KPH safest roads ever.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

My experience here is that about 60 - 80 kph is about the fastest anyone should drive unless on those nice roads up north of Manila. Dogs, cats, drunks, motorcycles, jeepneys, idiots.... they all make it unsafe to drive safely if you don't want to a) damage your rocket car or, b) kill someone or something...

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

Germany had the most premiere autobahns (not the city or town streets) I ever travelled on.

During the course of my time there I owned 2 different BMWs and a Pontiac and drove them to Rev Limiter every time while on the autobahns.

The Bimmers would top out right around 240KPH and the Pontiaic around 175KPH safest roads ever.

I have found memories of driving all over Europe for 4 years.  When I got the job assignment in Germany I had just purchased a 2006 Honda Accord Hybrid.   V6 with electric boost, 250 hp.  I loved that car so I paid to have it imported to Germany.  It was speed limited to 132 mph about 212 kph, but it was quiet and smooth at 180-200 kph.

Then I bought the 2007 Corvette Coupe standard and drove it all over my area but not on long overnight trips.  One weekend night I drove up to the A2 autobahn next to Netherlands because it was known as the "go fast" autobahn.  Hit 307 kph in a death wish run!  It had standard suspension and I felt like it was floating.  Luckily, no deer got in my headlights!

• Like 4