How long can I live in the Philippines and still receive SSDI payments?

dapper
Posted
Posted

There was another thread about this from like 8 years ago and I don't think we got a clear answer.

I've been reading the SSA website and everything I can find on internet searches and still do not have a clear answer to this question. One thing I read said you can only live outside the USA for 6 months at a time, then you had to come back to the states for one full month. Other things I've read says as long as your eligible for benefits and your a US Citizen you can receive your payments in the Philippines.  

What I'm thinking about doing is moving to and living in the Philippines for 3 years straight. From what I've read you can do this with the long term tourist visa and using extensions to stay for a total of three years, then you leave the country on a "border run" and enter agin and start the three years over agin. Has anyone here done this while receiving SSDI benefits? Is anyone on here living in the Philippines long term while still receiving your SSDI benefits?  Also I'm not talking about retirement or SSI benefits as they are different.  This is for social security disability insurance.  Any info is appreciated as I've hit a dead end. 

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)

Social Security benefits are provided irregardless of your location. Are you online with My Social Security?

Welcome to the forum.

Edited by Old55
  • Love it 1

dapper
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Social Security benefits are provided irregardless of your location. Are you online with My Social Security?

Welcome to the forum.

Yes I have a "My SSA account" online. Thanks. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

As a tourist you will not be able to open a Philippines bank account.  Under no circumstances should you let anything important be mailed through the Philippines mail system.

Keep your U.S. bank account or get another that has no fees for Int'l ATM withdrawals.  Have your checks deposited and transfer as needed.  If needed, get a mailbox service to use as your address.  Don't give SSDI a Philippine address.

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

As a tourist you will not be able to open a Philippines bank account.

I opened my Philippines HSBC account as a tourist, many years ago though. Still the best financial decision I've made here.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

I opened my Philippines HSBC account as a tourist, many years ago though. Still the best financial decision I've made here.

And I opened my BPI accounts as a tourist in 2012.  Generally speaking, that is not possible anymore.

• Like 1

dapper
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

As a tourist you will not be able to open a Philippines bank account.  Under no circumstances should you let anything important be mailed through the Philippines mail system.

Keep your U.S. bank account or get another that has no fees for Int'l ATM withdrawals.  Have your checks deposited and transfer as needed.  If needed, get a mailbox service to use as your address.  Don't give SSDI a Philippine address.

Ok couple questions. Have ssdi payment direct deposited in American bank and use my American bank card to buy things in Philippines? 

Also, don't give Social security administration my address that I'm living at in the Philippines? I'm pretty sure I have to, or I could lose my benefits if they see I'm living there without notifying them. I wanna do this all legit and proper and if it's not possible I'll stay here I'm America and keep my ssdi benefits. 

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, dapper said:

Have ssdi payment direct deposited in American bank and use my American bank card to buy things in Philippines?

If that American bank is HSBC, you can open a connecting account in the Philippines, and are able to transfer up to $200,000 daily, free.

• Thanks 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dapper said:

Ok couple questions. Have ssdi payment direct deposited in American bank and use my American bank card to buy things in Philippines? 

Also, don't give Social security administration my address that I'm living at in the Philippines? I'm pretty sure I have to, or I could lose my benefits if they see I'm living there without notifying them. I wanna do this all legit and proper and if it's not possible I'll stay here I'm America and keep my ssdi benefits. 

You have a few options for accessing your U.S. money.  A few brokerages and credit unions will refund foreign ATM fees, so you can withdraw at ATMs.  You can use transfer services like Wise.  Or you can use U.S. credit or debit cards for purchases.  If those are Mastercard or Visa, you get a top exchange rate.  Make sure the cards don't have fees.

I get SS and use a mailbox address in Florida.  I don't know if SSDI has residency requirements that are different than SS.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Thanks 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, dapper said:

There was another thread about this from like 8 years ago and I don't think we got a clear answer.

It's run by the govt so getting a clear answer is an impossibility. According to SS (and the many law firms who want your money) you can live in the Philippines and continue to collect SSDI but you are expected to be available to return at their discretion if they want to evaluate your disability. No idea if they actually require that periodically. The confusion is mainly because there is a US residency requirement for SSI, another disability program, if you are living outside for 30 days they stop benefits (for SSI). 

From what I've heard and read these benefits are often very difficult to obtain so it's not something you want to lose. It's unlikely any forum members are in this situation so I would definitely talk to SS directly about this before moving to the other side of the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic