How long can I live in the Philippines and still receive SSDI payments?

usa32
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

If someone has contributed to the state most/all of their working life and then decided to move abroad for whatever reason I don't see why they should be excluded from disability benefits providing they meet the necessary criteria. I don't think getting on a flight, walking, talking and performing basic tasks are in themselves enough of a test to say someone is/isn't disabled.  And if they are, the same should apply wherever someone lives.   

ETA - One thing I do agree with is that in some countries (including the UK and USA) the culture is getting handouts from the state rather than working seems to be prevalent, and the more folk do this the more others decide to jump on the bandwagon.  

just my point its not that they are in another country. It's if you can go to another country to live, deal with all the headaches of airports, walk, talk, and breathe. You can also get a job. May not be the greatest job, but its a job. And if they can support themselves, they aren't truly disabled.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, usa32 said:

just my point its not that they are in another country. It's if you can go to another country to live, deal with all the headaches of airports, walk, talk, and breathe. You can also get a job. May not be the greatest job, but its a job. And if they can support themselves, they aren't truly disabled.

Yes...and No.  Plenty of disabled people travel the world despite the challenges it no doubt provides so in itself being able to travel abroad doesn't mean you aren't disabled.  Being able to walk, talk or breathe is a pretty low bar to set for defining disability for me.  Many people have spouses, other family members or even carers assisting them when travelling.  

Don't get me wrong, I often feel the bar is set way too low for defining disability but I wouldn't say living abroad is in itself an automatic rejection.  

• Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic