How long can I live in the Philippines and still receive SSDI payments?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, MikeB said:

From what I've heard and read these benefits are often very difficult to obtain so it's not something you want to lose. It's unlikely any forum members are in this situation so I would definitely talk to SS directly about this before moving to the other side of the world.

Excellent advice.  The different US Social Security Administration programs have different rules, and the rules keep changing. 

Have a bank in the US for direct deposit and a system to withdraw money from that account in the Philippines.  This could be as simple as a debit card you can use for ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world.  My bank reimburses me for any local charges.  I also have cash just in case the debit cards malfunction.

• Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

dapper
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeB said:

It's run by the govt so getting a clear answer is an impossibility. According to SS (and the many law firms who want your money) you can live in the Philippines and continue to collect SSDI but you are expected to be available to return at their discretion if they want to evaluate your disability. No idea if they actually require that periodically. The confusion is mainly because there is a US residency requirement for SSI, another disability program, if you are living outside for 30 days they stop benefits (for SSI). 

From what I've heard and read these benefits are often very difficult to obtain so it's not something you want to lose. It's unlikely any forum members are in this situation so I would definitely talk to SS directly about this before moving to the other side of the world.

Thank you Mike and everyone,  I'll definitely talk to SSA at some point to try and get a answer.  I was hoping to talk to someone on here that gets ssdi and lives in the Philippines, But it does seem hard to find anyone like that.  Thanks agin all

MikeB
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I also have cash just in case the debit cards malfunction.

Absolutely, in a secure hidden place or a bolted down heavy safe.

usa32
Posted
Posted

There is a "famous" youtuber named barry Jordan. he lived in the Philippines for over 7 years getting SSDI. It was a small amount like 500 USD. I think occasionally he had to show in manilla for paperwork purposes or maybe to get tests done. He apparently is still getting SSDI even though hes in immigration detention for overstay.  Besides this, on a personal level. I dont think anyone should be getting SSDI and living in another country. If you are able to get on a flight, walk,talk and perform basic tasks, you should be working and getting a job in the USA .    

• Sad 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, usa32 said:

There is a "famous" youtuber named barry Jordan. he lived in the Philippines for over 7 years getting SSDI. It was a small amount like 500 USD. I think occasionally he had to show in manilla for paperwork purposes or maybe to get tests done. He apparently is still getting SSDI even though hes in immigration detention for overstay.  Besides this, on a personal level. I dont think anyone should be getting SSDI and living in another country. If you are able to get on a flight, walk,talk and perform basic tasks, you should be working and getting a job in the USA .    

I see your point but SSDI can be permanent or temporary.  If the disability is permanent and the recipient wants to live in a cheaper place, why not?  Some disabilities are not physically apparent.

SSI is different.  SSI is for poor people so they should not be travelling around.

If @dapper searches SSDI here, there are some old members who were receiving SSDI.  The guy who ended up having major marital problems.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 9/18/2023 at 7:03 AM, OnMyWay said:

As a tourist you will not be able to open a Philippines bank account.  Under no circumstances should you let anything important be mailed through the Philippines mail system.

Keep your U.S. bank account or get another that has no fees for Int'l ATM withdrawals.  Have your checks deposited and transfer as needed.  If needed, get a mailbox service to use as your address.  Don't give SSDI a Philippine address.

Not true and depends whear you are and what bank you approach.

10 hours ago, dapper said:

Thank you Mike and everyone,  I'll definitely talk to SSA at some point to try and get a answer.  I was hoping to talk to someone on here that gets ssdi and lives in the Philippines, But it does seem hard to find anyone like that.  Thanks agin all

The OP requested that I delete his account.  I guess that talking to the official channels is what really anyone should do as everyone's situation could be slightly different than anyone here or on other forums. 

Sometimes I think it is all a waste of time when members don't get the answer they want to hear they want their account deleted.  What happens when they need advice on another issue? 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

guess that talking to the official channels

I think in cases like these, they know the official answer (which they dont like) and are hoping to find someone who has bent the rules, gotten away with it and use that method to beat the system

• Like 5

usa32
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I see your point but SSDI can be permanent or temporary.  If the disability is permanent and the recipient wants to live in a cheaper place, why not?  Some disabilities are not physically apparent.

SSI is different.  SSI is for poor people so they should not be travelling around.

If @dapper searches SSDI here, there are some old members who were receiving SSDI.  The guy who ended up having major marital problems.

Every situation is different. But I guess my view of disability is different. Barry Jordan above, was on video walking,running,motorcycling, and ziplining. Could he of gotten a job in the USA? Of course. Did he want to? No.  A good amount of people on SSDI, aren't truly disabled, as most people would define "disabled". My sister before her death, was born severely mentally and physically handicap and could not hold a conversation or walk. That's disabled.  And what SSDI should be for. disabled isn't my back gets sore if im on my feet for more than 4 hours. But such is life in the USA currently, where everyone is a victim.

• Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 9/19/2023 at 2:31 AM, usa32 said:

If someone has contributed to the state most/all of their working life and then decided to move abroad for whatever reason I don't see why they should be excluded from disability benefits providing they meet the necessary criteria. I don't think getting on a flight, walking, talking and performing basic tasks are in themselves enough of a test to say someone is/isn't disabled.  And if they are, the same should apply wherever someone lives.   

ETA - One thing I do agree with is that in some countries (including the UK and USA) the culture is getting handouts from the state rather than working seems to be prevalent, and the more folk do this the more others decide to jump on the bandwagon.  

Edited by hk blues
  • Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)

In the USA the biggest handout comes from social security programs . You have to meet the poverty level to qualify for the biggest program which is Medicaid and then SNAP [food stamps] Poverty level for a family of four is about $27,000/year and the average SNAP benefit is $231/month. Only about 20 out of 100 in poverty receive housing assistance or direct cash assistance. Welfare in the US will help you stay alive if you're lucky but just barely.

Edited by Possum
care to caid

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic