Why we will eventually move to the Philippines

Joey G
Posted
Posted

JJ, I hope you've contacted impartial consulting agencies for your plan.  In the USA I would contact "A Place For Mom". Google it for contact info. They are very good at looking for options based on your individual situation.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The 2023 estimate from the Genworth Cost of Care Survey indicates an average of $276 per day or $8,390 per month for a semi-private room in a nursing home.  A private room is about $315 per day or $9,584 a month.  That's for custodial care.  Prescription medication, visits to your doctor, including transportation, and hospitalization are separate expenses.  If you can no longer pay, the practice is called "dumping" wherein a taxi is called to take you a shelter for the homeless.  They don't take you inside.  The driver leaves you on the curb and hopes a staff member notices you.

The other option is in-home caregiver services.  The agencies charge about $7,000 a month depending on your state.  Filipino families in the USA have a network wherein they can hire undocumented Filipinas for $3,000 a month plus room and board.   I have no choice except to retire overseas when assisted care is required.  

If anyone knows sources for caregiver services, please let me know.  My wife and I have a scheduled 85 days visit from December to February.  We would like to continue our research on this topic.

I think this one would be worth checking out.

https://plantationbay.com/callhome/

Maybe this one?

https://web.facebook.com/SafehavenAssistedLivingPhilippines/?_rdc=1&_rdr

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

In Australia the cost of residential health care is government regulated and capped at 85% of the aged pension.  This is for food, bed, cleaning, laundry and facilities management.  If you have income over and above the pension you pay more (means testing). Most health costs are covered under the Medicare system but elective procedures cost the user.  The system is open to corruption by the owners of the facilities and whilst not rife yet, it is increasing to the point where it prompted a Royal Commision.  Overcharging and withholding of services paid for are just two of the issues... Same as private prisons.

Link to aged care and the costs in Australia: 

https://agedcaredecisions.com.au/how-much-does-a-nursing-home-cost-in-australia/#:~:text=Basic Daily Care Fee%3A&text=It is set at 85,is currently %2460.86 per day.

If you have Amazon Prime Video I highly recommend watching a movie called "I Care a Lot".  It's a fictional account of the extremes of Aged Care abuse and rorts.  

• Like 4

hk blues
Posted
Posted

So, based on the numbers in the OP, Americans work all their lives in order to be able to pay for 10 years in a care home.  If they're lucky.  

There must be other options open to Americans who cannot move to cheaper countries. 

• Sad 1

Sea Turtle
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, hk blues said:

So, based on the numbers in the OP, Americans work all their lives in order to be able to pay for 10 years in a care home.  If they're lucky.  

There must be other options open to Americans who cannot move to cheaper countries. 

That is a decent analysis.  The income inequality is rising fast,  the measurement is called gini coefficient.  Americans have stuff,  but time is given to have the stuff.  I know some that move to Mexico for this reason.  In some parts of Mexico cost of living is very low.

More cases of kids paying for parents is also happening. 

To make it worse,  its difficult for an old one to get a decent paying job,  because younger will work 20 hours a day.  An old one just can not.  Most companies find ways to get rid of older workers. 

If your female many states have resources to help those that don't have.  For men it is more difficult.

• Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

In the US there are still are some family members willing to care for elderly or handicapped parents.

More prevalent years ago that extended family lived under the same roof.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

That is a decent analysis.  The income inequality is rising fast,  the measurement is called gini coefficient.  Americans have stuff,  but time is given to have the stuff.  I know some that move to Mexico for this reason.  In some parts of Mexico cost of living is very low.

More cases of kids paying for parents is also happening. 

To make it worse,  its difficult for an old one to get a decent paying job,  because younger will work 20 hours a day.  An old one just can not.  Most companies find ways to get rid of older workers. 

If your female many states have resources to help those that don't have.  For men it is more difficult.

1 hour ago, Old55 said:

In the US there are still are some family members willing to care for elderly or handicapped parents.

More prevalent years ago that extended family lived under the same roof.

So there are other options - I assumed so as there is no way the majority of Americans are paying north of $100k a year on residential care.   

Also, surely there is a significant percentage of the population who continue to care for themselves at home? 

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

HK, I would only guess at numbers of in home elder care by family members. Would expect the numbers to be significant until skilled care is required.

Medicare may allow a basic care-provider that comes into your home infrequently in certain situations. Medicare also provides truly helpful advise and classes on home care. JJ would have much more knowledge in this regard.

• Thanks 1

Sea Turtle
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Also, surely there is a significant percentage of the population who continue to care for themselves at home? 

Yes,  many do that.  Many end up alone in old age.  Very common that one or the other in a marriage end up taking care of the partner.

US has two major setups, Medicaid and Medicare.  Medicare is a system that old one sign up for and pay a small fee to get ok medical coverage.  Medicaid is a more complete system of coverage that is for any who qualify.  Qualifications can be complex but involve not having money.  Surprisingly robust services if one qualifies.     

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1