Why we will eventually move to the Philippines

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

doing simple math that is like $22.00 USD a day per caregiver? 

Yes.  California's minimum wage is $15.50 per hour with the expectation this will increase to $18.00 possibly next year.  Add to that FICA and such items as fuel allowance, now that gasoline is at $7.00 per gallon.  Paying minimum wage, you probably get an untrained person who hardly speaks English.  There are other states where it is less expensive to hire a caregiver.

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Update.  If you need round-the-clock in-home care, Genworth Cost of Care Survey estimates 24/7 cost at $19,656 a month or $235,872 a year. For purposes of budgeting, I believe paying three caregivers P25,000 each, working on a rotation basis, is sufficient.  Add the cost for food and miscellaneous expenses such as uniforms, I will need $2,000 per month rather than $19,658.  Total annual cost with the 13th month pay is $26,000. 

Our plan is to build a small staff house in our garden area and hire a middle age couple whose children are raised.  She can cook, clean, do laundry, etc.  He will do yard work, driving, chores, heavy lifting, etc.  Not sure what the pay will be when the time comes but will provide housing, utilities, salary, food and/or food allowance.  We will also provide social security payments and PhilHealth.  We have remodeled the main CR of our house with a shower that is large enough for a chair if required, plus grab bars.  Grab bars not yet installed beside the toilet.   Less expensive to do here in the province as opposed to the city I think.  The challenge might be to find a couple both of whom have speak adequate English.    Hopefully I can spend my "feeble end times" sitting on the deck enjoying the view, reading my Kindle, and/or visiting with my extended Filipino family.

IMG_20230917_175307.jpg

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Yes.  California's minimum wage is $15.50 per hour with the expectation this will increase to $18.00 possibly next year.  Add to that FICA and such items as fuel allowance, now that gasoline is at $7.00 per gallon.  Paying minimum wage, you probably get an untrained person who hardly speaks English.  There are other states where it is less expensive to hire a caregiver.

We are talking caregiving in the PI correct?

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

I ask because my 40yr old son in law with 2 kids to our eldest daughter makes about $12.00 usd a day, grinding, mixing & stuffing longganisa, seldom makes $100.00 usd per week.

So, $22.00 usd per hour is good money in the PI?

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

I ask because my 40yr old son in law with 2 kids to our eldest daughter makes about $12.00 usd a day, grinding, mixing & stuffing longganisa, seldom makes $100.00 usd per week.

It's great money here - 260,000 php per annum.  

stevewool
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike J said:

Our plan is to build a small staff house in our garden area and hire a middle age couple whose children are raised.  She can cook, clean, do laundry, etc.  He will do yard work, driving, chores, heavy lifting, etc.  Not sure what the pay will be when the time comes but will provide housing, utilities, salary, food and/or food allowance.  We will also provide social security payments and PhilHealth.  We have remodeled the main CR of our house with a shower that is large enough for a chair if required, plus grab bars.  Grab bars not yet installed beside the toilet.   Less expensive to do here in the province as opposed to the city I think.  The challenge might be to find a couple both of whom have speak adequate English.    Hopefully I can spend my "feeble end times" sitting on the deck enjoying the view, reading my Kindle, and/or visiting with my extended Filipino family.

IMG_20230917_175307.jpg

Myself and Emma will be free when you start looking for those kind of folk 

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

Not my post, but am sure the $22 would be per day, per worker. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

Yes.  The money comparison explains why in the United States caregiver services is unaffordable for many Americans.  

7 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's great money here - 260,000 php per annum.  

Sometimes there is confusion because labor is usually stated as per day in the Philippines while the United States is per hour.  Another factor is the exchange rate.  P260,000 per annum would be a good salary for a skilled worker.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 9/30/2023 at 8:52 PM, JJReyes said:

Sometimes there is confusion because labor is usually stated as per day in the Philippines while the United States is per hour.  Another factor is the exchange rate.  P260,000 per annum would be a good salary for a skilled worker.

Actually, it wouldn't be 260,000 per annum - it would be nearer 2,600,000 at the quoted rate of $22 per hour!