Why we will eventually move to the Philippines

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Possum said:

Agitated seniors here cannot even get Xanax to help them relax in their later years

Xanax is available as "Xanor", generally prescribed by a shrink. No pain pills = no pain pill addiction, a net benefit for this society.  Extreme cases can get pain relief in a hospital.

• Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

No pain pills = no pain pill addiction, a net benefit for this society.  Extreme cases can get pain relief in a hospital.

IF you can afford to stay in a hospital. Cancer and a few other diseases offer a very painful way to die.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, JJReyes said:

There are several innovative programs, including one in California.  They pay a husband, son, daughter or niece a monthly salary to take care of a bed ridden loved one.  My recollection is about $3,000 a month.  The difficulty is the application process.  Add to that the monthly paperwork requirement.  The state has inspector to do spot checks to make sure the family caregiver is always around or another family member.

We have similar in the UK - it's called a carers allowance and paid to someone taking care of another.  It's nothing like as much as the figure you mention though - under $400 a month. It's not quite expected that the invalid will be bed-ridden, just not able to take care of themselves.  

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Xanax is available as "Xanor", generally prescribed by a shrink. No pain pills = no pain pill addiction, a net benefit for this society.  Extreme cases can get pain relief in a hospital.

A close cousin living in Arizona was under hospice care but continued to live at home.  His primary care physician had certified that the patient was expected to live less than 90 days, although my cousin lasted more than one year.  His prescription allowed all kind of drugs.  He joked it was enough to kill a horse.  My response, "Maybe the state of Arizona Medicaid is sending you a message."

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

We have similar in the UK - it's called a carers allowance and paid to someone taking care of another.  It's nothing like as much as the figure you mention though - under $400 a month. It's not quite expected that the invalid will be bed-ridden, just not able to take care of themselves. 

I believe the pay calculation is based on minimum wage which in California is currently $15.50 per hour.  Multiply that by 8 hours a day and 25 working days a month, and the amount is $3,100.  There is a fight to get the minimum wage increased to $18.00 per hour plus benefits including transportation allowance because gasoline is so expensive.  

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Update.  If you need round-the-clock in-home care, Genworth Cost of Care Survey estimates 24/7 cost at $19,656 a month or $235,872 a year. For purposes of budgeting, I believe paying three caregivers P25,000 each, working on a rotation basis, is sufficient.  Add the cost for food and miscellaneous expenses such as uniforms, I will need $2,000 per month rather than $19,658.  Total annual cost with the 13th month pay is $26,000. 

• Like 3

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Update.  If you need round-the-clock in-home care, Genworth Cost of Care Survey estimates 24/7 cost at $19,656 a month or $235,872 a year. For purposes of budgeting, I believe paying three caregivers P25,000 each, working on a rotation basis, is sufficient.  Add the cost for food and miscellaneous expenses such as uniforms, I will need $2,000 per month rather than $19,658.  Total annual cost with the 13th month pay is $26,000. 

That is quite substantial savings.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, MotorSarge said:

So doing simple math that is like $22.00 USD a day per caregiver? 

Possum
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

So doing simple math that is like $22.00 USD a day per caregiver? 

At that rate they will do their best to make sure you are well and stay alive as long as possible. Smart move.

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

Yes.  Especially since I can't afford to pay $235,872 per year.  Yet this is a problem facing many American households with aging parents.  Who is responsible for paying caregiver services?  

• Like 2