Dying

RBM
Posted
Posted (edited)

Urgent request for advice, long complicated story which I shall try to condense 

American guy living 2 floor beneath us is dieing, started mosi bite now gangrene. He is a total loner, no family or friends, has never communicated with me just a few Filipinas including my partner. She begged him to accompany her to hospital few weeks ago while able hobble around. Due to a previous argument with our local hospital he refused, now this. Since this pic my partner has cleaned up his unit, the maggots and rotten foods makes one vomit, he unable move due pain. I begged local barangay help him, they sent rescue unit, did treat him, washed him,  but refused bring him hospital as need papers signed from a next of kin. To make it worse we believe a staff member here has his ATM card and milking it on the pretense of caring him. Today his position is same as yesterday's (pic) I have a pic of his Military ID. Have tried in vain calling every US Embassy number but frustratingly impossible....Please can A US citizen help us?  Just want advice not money. Location Bacolod, he not going last longer, age around 65

IMG-20230930-WA0002.jpg

Edited by RBM
spelling
  • Sad 6

• RBM changed the title to Dying
Lee
Posted
Posted

Pitiful.

IMO, pain or no pain he has to be loaded into an ambulance and taken to a hospital. A google search suggest that there are 10 hospitals in Bacolad. He can't have had problems with all of them.

Paying for his care might be problematic. Does he have Phil Health Insurance by chance as I know some ex pats do. A call to the bank might be required to shut his ATM card down. Is he a retired military---you mentioned a military id card---perhaps the VA can help. The VA has a office in Manila I believe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

longway
Posted
Posted

The person Must get taken to a hospital whether they want to go or not. Man dying downstairs from you is not acceptable.

• Thanks 1

Lee
Posted
Posted

PERHAPS the Philippine Red Cross could help. Their mandate seems to cover health welfare during a crisis or not.

Anyway, their office is on 10th St Bacolad.  Their phone # is 09683292625.

• Like 1

GeoffH
Posted
Posted

He looks like he could be malnourished as well 😕

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

The Embassy has a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/USEmbassyPH/    Maybe  message to them through Facebook would work.

RBM
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ram1957 said:

The Embassy has a Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/USEmbassyPH/    Maybe  message to them through Facebook would work.

Thanks, have been going in circles here, finally got an e mail away so maybe tomorrow a reply.

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lee said:

PERHAPS the Philippine Red Cross could help. Their mandate seems to cover health welfare during a crisis or not.

Anyway, their office is on 10th St Bacolad.  Their phone # is 09683292625.

Appreciate this lee, will visit Red Cross  tomorrow, was again at barangay this am,  according to them before a hospital will admit a next of kin must sign a document. How ever the government hospital may admit if somebody signs him in like a guarantor I guess,. They promised to come again today to do what they can. Yesterday they bathed him and tended his wound.

The guy has never spoken to me, or any other foreigner living here,  he is a total loner, how ever as a poster said this situation is unacceptable. He has zero money and just conscious but makes no sense, at the least his leg will need to be amputated. No idea these costs how ever guess would at least P100K

Further during the time he was rational my partner spent many hours trying to convince him to accompany her to hospital, she would translate and stay with him, at this stage strong antibiotics I suspect would of cured him.  He was extremely stubborn and flatly refused, now he is paying the price.

I would love the bank to stop his pension as we strongly suspect a staff member has his card and number and milking it. We tried asking him today how ever he is not making sense at all.

RBM
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lee said:

Pitiful.

IMO, pain or no pain he has to be loaded into an ambulance and taken to a hospital. A google search suggest that there are 10 hospitals in Bacolad. He can't have had problems with all of them.

Paying for his care might be problematic. Does he have Phil Health Insurance by chance as I know some ex pats do. A call to the bank might be required to shut his ATM card down. Is he a retired military---you mentioned a military id card---perhaps the VA can help. The VA has a office in Manila I believe.

The only hospital possible would be the Government Hospital, unless somebody fronted up with a substantial deposit, Hospitals are a business.

I or somebody must accompany him in the rescue and sign many documents with rescue plus at hospital, I suspect the liabilities will be quite high given his condition, lets hope the red cross can help.

If there is US ex marine reading this please send me a PM as I have his military IDs on file. and this may help.

Edited by RBM
spelling

Lee
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, RBM said:

If there is US ex marine reading this please send me a PM as I have his military IDs on file. and this may help.

Is he a retired Marine---if so the VA in Manila might help.

If it were me, I would go through all of his "stuff" and hopefully find some contact info about a child, family members etc. If he protests you doing this--- I would do it anyway. Did you check on Phil Health?