Dying

RBM
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Lee said:

Is he a retired Marine---if so the VA in Manila might help.

If it were me, I would go through all of his "stuff" and hopefully find some contact info about a child, family members etc. If he protests you doing this--- I would do it anyway. Did you check on Phil Health?

I have a card with his picture,  it says armed forces of United stated, guess that means a marine, hoping a member replies with knowledge of this  by PM so able send it for clarification and advice

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, RBM said:

it says armed forces of United stated

There are 6 branches of the military in the US---the card should say which branch he was in.

Take a pic of the id and PM me with it if you want.   (Front and back)

Edited by Lee
added info

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

There are 6 branches of the military in the US---the card should say which branch he was in.

Take a pic of the id and PM me with it if you want.   (Front and back)

Please PM me with the ID too.  I will reach out to RAO here for advice.

Lee
Posted
Posted

OK guys----I have seen the gentleman's military ID and he is indeed a retired Marine Gny Sgt.

I'm sure there has to be a few retired military types on this board who might could pitch in and help figure this thing out.

Anyone know of any VA or Marine Corp contacts? Congressman---anybody. He might be running out of time. Might need to get proactive here.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Lee said:

few retired military types

If he is a honorably retired US serviceman (and it sounds that he is), like me he is eligible for Tricare medical insurance. You say you have is ID card, any other documents? The golden document you need to look for is his DD 214, that is the master document that will open up any benefits he should be eligible for. If not with his Social Security number we should be able to unravel this mess. It will take a lot of wrangling with different administrative offices, but not impossible.

Lee
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, scott h said:

You say you have is ID card, any other documents? The golden document you need to look for is his DD 214, that is the master document that will open up any benefits he should be eligible for. If not with his Social Security number we should be able to unravel this mess. It will take a lot of wrangling with different administrative offices, but not impossible.

I have seen his ID card----I don't have it in my procession.

This old timer military number isn't his SSN as I'm used to but is an old service number. Unknown about 214---suggested to OP to go through his stuff--don't know if he did or not. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, Lee said:

I have seen his ID card----I don't have it in my procession.

This old timer military number isn't his SSN as I'm used to but is an old service number. Unknown about 214---suggested to OP to go through his stuff--don't know if he did or not. 

I reached out to RBM but have not heard back.  Send me ID and anything else.  I will forward to Jack Walker at RAO.  He has a lot of contacts and may be able to help.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I reached out to RBM but have not heard back.  Send me ID and anything else.  I will forward to Jack Walker at RAO.  He has a lot of contacts and may be able to help.

All available information has been e-mailed to Jack Walker at RAO.  I need the city.  Let's hope we can give this vet the dignity he deserves.  According to his ID he was born in 1929!  That would put him at 94!

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

A military veteran is a military veteran such as a military retiree is a military retiree, his branch of service is irrelevant.

The folks, expats, vets & retirees that are geographically closest to him will have the best resolve in this matter. Need to contact the RAO, VA in Manilla & Red Cross.

It is a little bit more complicated for the folks across the pond.

This is truly sad and should not happen to any expat regardless of if a veteran or not.  

• Like 2

RBM
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

All available information has been e-mailed to Jack Walker at RAO.  I need the city.  Let's hope we can give this vet the dignity he deserves.  According to his ID he was born in 1929!  That would put him at 94!

I appreciate your help thank you ' At this stage Lee is doing his upmost to help so think its easier that you liaise with him as I have no knowledge about these matters,

No not 94 they have made a mistake on the birth date.