Filipino students lag in learning by 5 years

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 12/23/2023 at 7:33 PM, Kingpin said:

They don't have sports, or equipment, or field or courts, or leagues. Unless you're talking about private schools.

You didn't qualify your statement- and even if you had I would still have raised my eyebrows at the idea NO public schools have sports facilities across the whole country.

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted

4 hours ago, hk blues said:

I would still have raised my eyebrows at the idea NO public schools have sports facilities across the whole country.

And yet "Filipino students lag in learning by 5 years" didn't trigger you...

Selective nitpicking aside, the point remains.

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Kingpin said:

And yet "Filipino students lag in learning by 5 years"

That is a conservative estimate in my opinion. Most of my friends who attended public schools in the Philippines agree. The exception is those who can afford to go to the beast private schools but they are a minority.

Edited by Possum
word addition
  • Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Possum said:

That is a conservative estimate

The fact that it's an estimate is the point, taking it as a blanket statement to include ALL students would be ridiculous.

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/26/2023 at 2:59 AM, Kingpin said:

The fact that it's an estimate is the point, taking it as a blanket statement to include ALL students would be ridiculous.

Talented students do come out of the public system, there are a number of very bright family members who’ve graduated from university over the last 7 years and gone on to work in a number of areas.

But I’ve also noticed the less talented/motivated ones tend to ‘fail hard’, compounded by the fact that the families limited resources tends to be ‘invested into’ those with the best results.

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
52 minutes ago, GeoffH said:

Talented students do come out of the public system, there are a number of very bright family members who’ve graduated from university over the last 7 years and gone on to work in a number of areas.

But I’ve also noticed the less talented/motivated ones tend to ‘fail hard’, compounded by the fact that the families limited resources tends to be ‘invested into’ those with the best results.

That last para. is probably true of most developing countries where there is a very limited welfare system to pick up the slack.

Survival of the fittest right enough!

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Survival of the fittest right enough!

Survival of the richest

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Survival of the richest

Same thing here. Hence the ever present need to keep the poor poor.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2