Filipino students lag in learning by 5 years

Lee
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Guy F. said:

Four hundred years of this was enough to train people to not think or plan beyond tomorrow's food and shelter. It became ingrained cultural habit.

So I would ask you, who is "training" the youth of today to fail because of Spanish rule that ended 130 years ago?

Guy F.
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Lee said:

So I would ask you, who is "training" the youth of today to fail because of Spanish rule that ended 130 years ago?

It's an ingrained cultural habit, passed on from generation to generation. So I would say the parents are doing most of the training, supported by schoolteachers.

Lee
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Guy F. said:

So I would say the parents are doing most of the training, supported by schoolteachers.

So parents and school teachers are teaching the youth of today to fail.

Then we have a solution to the problem don't we---get rid of all parents and school teachers !!!

Probably won't happen and would solve nothing if we did. 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

In many countries, students who take the PISA are selected to achieve a better overall score.  If India only selected students who were destined for IIT (India Institute of Technology), their ranking would be in the top five or better.  

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Lee said:

So parents and school teachers are teaching the youth of today to fail.

What are the criteria's' that determine success or failure? 

During our recent cruise to Tahiti, we encountered a guide in Morreau, and it was his first day on the job.  Short on training and information, he encouraged everyone to ask questions.  It turned out he was hired by the tour company for his English language ability (American father) with only a recent high school diploma (no colleges on the island).  Everything was very expensive for us tourists, but for the locals, the land provided for all their needs.  There are fruits from your backyard to exchange with neighbors, taro fields, pigs for community gatherings, and fish.  Absolutely no ambitions.  A van full of seniors with children, grandchildren and great grandchildren tried to convince him there was more to life, but to no avail.  He was at a young age, content with life.  The guy had already achieved nirvana in my opinion.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee said:

fail because of Spanish rule that ended 130 years ago?

That old chestnut? It just an excuse loosers trot out in an attempt to excuse poor performance in all levels. And we know that excuses are like butts, everyone has one and they usually stink. 

Blame every failure upon the colonizers. Hmmmm let see, South Korea was colonized, (brutally) by the Japanese for 50 years, Vietnam by the French, Taiwan by the Japanese, Singapore by the Brits, heck even the US of A was colonized by a bunch of losers at one point (just kidding guys:wink:) and they seem to be doing alright. Hell, Japan had nukes dropped on 'em and their infrastructure was bombed back to the stone age. 

1 hour ago, Lee said:

It became ingrained cultural habit.

57 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

It's an ingrained cultural habit, passed on from generation to generation.

The longer I stay here, the more I believe the above to be the major factor and the root of most of the problems facing the Phil. and it permeates all levels of society. The old Asian hands used to call it the "rice bowl" mentality. As long as my rice bowl if full, I really dont care about anybody or anything else. 

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Tom, what about links to pages that have to be configured by the person viewing them at the time as many of the global stats type web pages are?  You know the ones, you can order them by each different column, or click on a map for that country's information etc.  They're pages of data, rather than narrative.  They don't lend themselves to copying direct to another format.   An example of what I'm talking about is the link I posted on the second page and if the information on the top of the page is pasted as plain text or in any format it's unintelligible. Here's the link as an example: https://www.datapandas.org/ranking/pisa-scores-by-country

World Data Info and many similar sites operate the same way.  

What I have done in that circumstance is use the Windows function to snip the graph, chart, etc.   Below for example is what @OnMyWaywas referring to in his post.  To do a clip like this the key combination is = image.png

image.png

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Mike J said:

What have done in that circumstance is use the Windows function to snip the graph, chart, etc.   Below for example is what @OnMyWaywas referring to in his post.  To do a clip like this the key combination is = image.png

image.png

I've done the same thing in the past for specific instances but it doesn't really show the whole picture which can sometimes put the data in context and show its validity.

Anyway, no links without accompanying text or pictures moving forward.  Roger that.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Hestecrefter
Posted
Posted (edited)

Leaving aside the question of just how good is the education system in the Phils, may I ask if working hard and completing, say, a university degree at a university that is generally respected in the Phils, does it serve the ordinary Filipino well?

I have little empirical data to go on.  More just an impression over the years.  But, it seems to me that for most ordinary folk, getting a high education opens few doors, apart from maybe a job at Jollibee, a cashier at SM, at a call centre, or as an OFW.  

What I am getting at, is how many well-educated but "ordinary" Filipinos are there who parlay their education into jobs in the Phils that pay what I would call "western style" wages?  How many get jobs paying anything like, say, USD75,000 a year or more?  Such wages are within reach of more ordinary types in western countries, but do many Filipinos get there?  For sure, quite a few do, but I see those as being part of well-connected and well-placed families.  But really, I do not know the provenance of those I see here with nice houses, cars, able to travel abroad for vacations, etc.  I am not sure that the average Filipino can accomplish that by dint of hard work. Or can they?

Edited by Hestecrefter
Replace period with question mark.
  • Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, JJReyes said:

In many countries, students who take the PISA are selected to achieve a better overall score.  If India only selected students who were destined for IIT (India Institute of Technology), their ranking would be in the top five or better.  

Let's  not let the PISA muddy the waters.  The rankings merely confirm what pretty much every poster here is saying, and indeed the government of the day - the education system for many is amongst the poorest in the world. 

• Like 2