Filipino students lag in learning by 5 years

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Today is another holiday! I have not kept track, but I should. It seems as if every week there is some sort of holiday here - at least in Davao City.

Same here for the public schools today, private attended though.  But having said that 2 weeks ago the local private school had a week of singing, dancing and parading during school hours and then the kids complained they had to attend lessons on the following Saturday :571c66d400c8c_1(103):.  That particular Saturday was the only makeup day or perhaps they're counting the holiday today?  Another little PI foible that'll drive you crazy if you think about it too much, which I don't.. For the most part :89:

Edited by BrettGC
  • Love it 1

P_X
Posted
Posted

I'm going to home school 

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Not at all,  but since you aren't allowed to disagree with mods here or else your post will get removed, you'll have to remain confused.

we must all be confused, with you being the one with true clarity.

• Like 4
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, P_X said:

I'm going to home school 

I know or knew many families who quite successfully home-schooled their kids. And those same kids excelled post home schooling

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Here's a link to an easy to read results from all participating countries.  

https://www.datapandas.org/ranking/pisa-scores-by-country

To put Philippines performance into context, there's only 81 participating countries so even taking Vatican City out of the running (not many school aged kids there) well below half the world's countries are surveyed.  

Did you happen to run across any sites that had the history for each country?

Seems like I remember that some Scandinavian countries were near the top in previous years, and have been replaced by the top Asian countries.

hk blues
Posted
Posted

A few posts above in support of home schooling.  

Pushing aside the issue of ensuring kids get a good level of interaction with other kids, isn't there an issue with having recognised qualifications etc for entry into university etc?

Just wondering. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Lee said:

Seems sensible enough.

Nice article about one family's experiences with home schooling in the PI.

https://handsonparentwhileearning.com/how-to-apply-for-pept-and-pass-it-our-homeschool-accreditation-story/

We have a group of parent's here in Subic who home school and do some collaborative activities together.  You really have to be dedicated to make it work.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/7/2023 at 4:35 PM, hk blues said:

Yup.

My son (11 y.o.) has been to 2 private schools here. The 1st flattered to deceive in that everything appeared to be good'ish but a scrape below the surface showed otherwise.  His 2nd (current) is clearly better.  I'd put it at a similar level to the standard of education I got at an average level UK state school.  Neither were/are particularly expensive albeit branded.  

We have talked about our private schools before and I think we have similar experiences.  Our current private school only costs around 45k per year + extras, maybe 60k per kid, X2.  We do get a discount for having 2 kids there.  2nd grade and 4th grade.

My now 19 yo step daughter went to this school for grades 3-10.  We thought it was good for her.  Luckily, she met some very good students and their habits rubbed off on her, and she did well.

I was disappointed in the school this past week.  They got their 2nd quarter exam results back.  My 2nd grader got 47/50 on her math.  She is good at math and gets good grades.  I reviewed the 3 that she missed.  Here they are:

385548297_1108125483888793_7431217696188964008_n (1).jpg

This is math?  Memorizing the faces / names on currency?  You can't even see the 4th one.  I'm allowing myself to calm down a few days before I talk to the administrator on Monday.  I don't expect anything to change.

Now this is from the math book.  I think most private schools follow Deped guidelines and the books are Deped recommended.  The books have many errors and typos.  Shows the lack of quality in the whole system.

We are thinking of moving them back to Manila Time College, where they went online during the pandemic.  The reason we moved them was because there were not enough students at that time.  3 students in 3rd grade??  After being locked up for 2 years, we really want the girls to have a lot of human interaction, and they have that.  However, Manila Times has built up the student population over the past two years and made great improvements.  This is the old George Dewey high school where @jake went back in the day.  They now have a full size Olympic pool, air con auditorium, extracurricular music programs, etc.  We will make a decision before the next school year.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

For me, We can all quote our own circumstances here BUT i will relate what my old Headmaster told me so many years ago,  It doesn't matter how good or expensive a school is,  Pupils will only learn if They WANT  to :tiphat:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1