Filipino students lag in learning by 5 years

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Are you kidding me?  Have you sent kids to school here?  The education system is an absolute disaster.    The study above did not surprise me one bit, and it is not the first of its kind as well.   Most high school graduates cannot even do simple math, tell you where Singapore is, discuss current events, discuss historical events such as WWII in Europe etc., etc., etc.   Not that my opinion is more valid than others here, but I have been part of this community for over 30 years, and I have sent kids to school here.   The education system is avg or just above avg for the extremely wealthy, and severely below average for everybody else.   And if you think most are happy working their butts off for 500 pesos a day 6 days a week you are incredibly out of touch.    Most are 'happy' to leave their family for years on end, go overseas to earn a better wage, and send money home.    Hell of a dream huh

Whilst I don't entirely agree that the education level is severely below average for all but the extremely wealthy, I pretty much think you've nailed it otherwise. 

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Whilst I don't entirely agree that the education level is severely below average for all but the extremely wealthy, I pretty much think you've nailed it otherwise. 

Agreed, that was a little bit of an overstatement, but not much.   Even many of the affordable private schools really are not that great, albeit, better than the public schools

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Agreed, that was a little bit of an overstatement, but not much.   Even many of the affordable private schools really are not that great, albeit, better than the public schools

Yup.

My son (11 y.o.) has been to 2 private schools here. The 1st flattered to deceive in that everything appeared to be good'ish but a scrape below the surface showed otherwise.  His 2nd (current) is clearly better.  I'd put it at a similar level to the standard of education I got at an average level UK state school.  Neither were/are particularly expensive albeit branded.  

• Like 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Are you kidding me?

Not at all, but you claimed that most Filipinos drink Johnnie Walker, not exactly 'in touch' with the people.

If you were, then you'd know that, yes, they are very much happy just to have a service job, here or abroad. Education, or lack of education, is not a problem, not even a little.  If you don't understand that, you also don't understand that the Philippines is arguably the most successful service industry provider on planet earth., or why the NGOs ignore that and focus only on "muh education".

Edited by Kingpin

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)

This could be part of the problem. More money often leads to more corruption to be sure . DePEd will require real leadership to fix this. Taking posters off of classroom walls isn't going to get it done.

PH spending per student 9 times lower than global average

The Philippines spends an average of $11,030 per student, nine times lower than the average expenditure ($102,612) of the other countries that participated in the 2022 Programme for International Student Assessment (Pisa).

The computation is based on the cumulative expenditure per student over 10 years—from age 6 to 15.

For Education Undersecretary Gina Gonong, such a finding only demonstrated that a developing country like the Philippines was often “underresourced.”

The Pisa is conducted by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) to evaluate the academic performance of 15-year-old students in reading, mathematics, and science every three years.It also looked into “contextual variables” influencing their performance like resources invested, learning environment, home background, and their actual experiences in school.

Sen. Sherwin Gatchalian, chair of the Senate committee on basic education, said in a forum on Wednesday that compared to OECD countries, the Philippines was still far behind in terms of average expenditure for students.

Despite receiving the lion’s share of the national budget every year, the Department of Education still has limited funds so its budget must be allocated properly, especially toward its learning recovery efforts.

Read more: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1872364/ph-spending-per-student-9-times-lower-than-global-average#ixzz8LFK4yk3d

Edited by Lee
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Here's a link to an easy to read results from all participating countries.  

https://www.datapandas.org/ranking/pisa-scores-by-country

To put Philippines performance into context, there's only 81 participating countries so even taking Vatican City out of the running (not many school aged kids there) well below half the world's countries are surveyed.  

• Thanks 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted

I have no idea about other schools but in Ormoc they rarely go a full week.  Last year, maybe 4 weeks out of the full year.  Half days are more common.  My step daughter is in the 3rd grade.  I noticed they were trying to teach them long division without first having them memorize their multiplication tables.  It seems that the teachers do not know how to teach.  Tests come home with the instructions in tagalog while they have not been taught tagalog.  Sad state of affairs.

• Sad 3

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I will add in a micro-rant now:

Today is another holiday! I have not kept track, but I should. It seems as if every week there is some sort of holiday here - at least in Davao City.

Also, the students did not need to attend classes all week because engineers were assessing any damage from the recent earthquakes.

According to  L, there are no provisions for make-up days for when disasters might strike. Back in USA and Canada, we had make-up days for when school was suspended due to snow or other stormy conditions.

Micro-rant over....

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted
31 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

I will add in a micro-rant now:

Today is another holiday! I have not kept track, but I should. It seems as if every week there is some sort of holiday here - at least in Davao City.

Also, the students did not need to attend classes all week because engineers were assessing any damage from the recent earthquakes.

According to  L, there are no provisions for make-up days for when disasters might strike. Back in USA and Canada, we had make-up days for when school was suspended due to snow or other stormy conditions.

Micro-rant over....

Education is not a priority here. Keep them dumb and you can keep them under thumb !

• Like 4

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 12/7/2023 at 12:07 PM, craftbeerlover said:

Are you kidding me? 

Not at all,  but since you aren't allowed to disagree with mods here or else your post will get removed, you'll have to remain confused.

Edit: That is not always the case and I think you are being unfair. Take note that your spurious comment was not removed - silly as it might be.

Edited by Tommy T.