Filipino students lag in learning by 5 years

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I'm allowing myself to calm down a few days before I talk to the administrator on Monday

I'd go in as well.  I cant believe this is "MATH" 

baronapart
Posted
Posted

I was there in April, 2023. The boss's niece (Grade 3) was out of school 50% of the time because her teacher was doing "activities." One activity was teaching a dance program to select students and the other one was entering data into a tracking spreadsheet that no one else at the school knew how to operate.

• Sad 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

The Philippine education system, both public and private, have been highly criticized for as far back as I can remember.  Yet the technical skills of the country's graduates are in high demand all over the world, ranging from manning vessels to medical services to computer related work.  I read an article that all the airports and ports in the Middle East would have to shut down if Filipinos returned home.  Every hospital in the United States has Filipino staff.  Every hospital in the United Kingdom has Filipino staff.  

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Not at all,  but since you aren't allowed to disagree with mods here or else your post will get removed, you'll have to remain confused.

:lipssealed_80_anim_gif:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Did you happen to run across any sites that had the history for each country?

Seems like I remember that some Scandinavian countries were near the top in previous years, and have been replaced by the top Asian countries.

The 3 of them were always in the top five up until the last few years from memory.  I can't find the historical data right now as my internet is playing up. 

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

This is math?

No its not math.

Appears that your child is using text books in her class.

Our 8th grader is using leftover modules from the Covid era as textbooks are not available for any subject.

• Sad 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

The Philippine education system, both public and private, have been highly criticized for as far back as I can remember.  Yet the technical skills of the country's graduates are in high demand all over the world, ranging from manning vessels to medical services to computer related work.  I read an article that all the airports and ports in the Middle East would have to shut down if Filipinos returned home.  Every hospital in the United States has Filipino staff.  Every hospital in the United Kingdom has Filipino staff.  

Very true, but one would expect out of 41 million children a small percentage would slip through the cracks and attain a respectable level of education.   You touched on an issue that is almost, but not quite, as troubling.   Many of the brightest, motivated Filipinos leave the Philippines for greener pastures never to come back (except for vacation to visit the house they purchased while earning a decent wage in a foreign land)   So not only is the education system in piss poor shape, many of the brightest are leaving or have left.   From an article I read,

"Some years ago, this brain drain was felt keenly in the Philippines’ education sector, when even public school teachers preferred to work as maids overseas than practice their profession in their own country. The exodus of teachers slowed down only when the government gave educators in public schools a substantial salary hike.

These days the brain drain is reaching crisis proportions in certain sectors, with the most dramatic impact felt in the health system."    I cant help but chuckle when I read "a substantial salary hike".   Most teachers earn about 20k a month, and those just starting out earn significantly less. 

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Very true, but one would expect out of 41 million children a small percentage would slip through the cracks and attain a respectable level of education.   You touched on an issue that is almost, but not quite, as troubling.   Many of the brightest, motivated Filipinos leave the Philippines for greener pastures never to come back (except for vacation to visit the house they purchased while earning a decent wage in a foreign land)   So not only is the education system in piss poor shape, many of the brightest are leaving or have left.   From an article I read,

"Some years ago, this brain drain was felt keenly in the Philippines’ education sector, when even public school teachers preferred to work as maids overseas than practice their profession in their own country. The exodus of teachers slowed down only when the government gave educators in public schools a substantial salary hike.

These days the brain drain is reaching crisis proportions in certain sectors, with the most dramatic impact felt in the health system."    I cant help but chuckle when I read "a substantial salary hike".   Most teachers earn about 20k a month, and those just starting out earn significantly less. 

It is unfortunate that skilled laborers in the Philippines are forced to seek employment overseas.  This has become a universal issue, and many other less developed countries are experiencing a similar diaspora.  Beneficiaries are wealthier countries.  The cost of an in-home professional caregiver in the United States is now above $5,000 per month.  But the "locals" refuse this type of employment.  I am all in favor to giving the job to "foreigners" who are willing to work hard for less than $5,000.  The point is, we have the skilled labor pool, educated by what many perceive as an incompetent educational system.   

• Like 3

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

For me, We can all quote our own circumstances here BUT i will relate what my old Headmaster told me so many years ago,  It doesn't matter how good or expensive a school is,  Pupils will only learn if They WANT  to :tiphat:

Well of course.   BUT, the quality of the curriculum, the size of the classrooms, the skill and motivation of the teachers, the push from the parents, the commitment from the government etc, play a huge role.   If education is not a priority beginning at an early age, then how many pupils will "WANT" to learn?

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, BrettGC said:

The 3 of them were always in the top five up until the last few years from memory.  I can't find the historical data right now as my internet is playing up. 

Wiki has some history from 2000 forward, but Philippines was not included in that.  Scroll down in the Wiki.  2018 is there.  In 2018, Philippines appears to be dead last.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment

• Like 1