Car Buying - Another Factor To Consider

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

In other topics the advantages of driving a high clearance vehicle is mentioned often, usually related to flooding.  I don't think this aspect was mentioned.

The past few months it seemed like my night vision was getting worse.  Oncoming headlights were really blinding me.  I was mostly driving my low riding Brio because I was waiting for some parts for my high riding Trailblazer.  Got the Trailblazer fixed last week.  Last night while driving the Trailblazer at night I realized my night vision was not bad in it.

My night vision in the Brio is much worse!  My head is probably 2 feet lower in the Brio compared to the TB.  So in the Brio I am looking directly into the oncoming headlights and being blinded.  Especially by the idiots with high beams on or with aftermarket super bright LEDs.

In the Trailblazer I am looking at headlights from a higher position, and they are not as blinding.

So for you old farts who are starting to have problems with night vision while driving, a high vehicle might be best for you.

images.jpeg

• Like 4

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

I try to only drive my Vios at night. only a band of tint at the top front window. The Navara has very dark tint. Nice on clear days but at night especially when its raining....nope.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

My Raize has dark tint - I didn't ask for any tint at all and wasn't aware it was included.  It definitely impairs night vision and pretty much means I'm driving full beam much of the time whenever possible.  As mentioned above, when it's raining the problem is multiplied.  That said, I rarely drive at night.  

• Like 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

We opted for the reflective tint rather than the dark on our Rush and couldn't be happier.  It not only keeps the car cooler but doesn't impede vision at night at all unlike the dark.  We did pay at extra 5k PHP for the privilege though.

I also enjoy being higher, much better field of view.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Regarding tint, you might recall that I removed the dark 3m tint from my Trailblazer and replaced it with Nexfilms ceramic.  I think the Brio is light to medium 3m.  For night visibility, I would estimate they are about the same now.

Now the difference is that the Brio puts the oncoming lights directly in my eyes.

I was noticing tonight that the blinding lights that are a problem in the Trailblazer are usually high riding pickups and SUVs.

Some of the new tints claim to be much better than ceramic, as far as inside visibility vs. heat and light rejection.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, BrettGC said:

We opted for the reflective tint rather than the dark on our Rush and couldn't be happier.  It not only keeps the car cooler but doesn't impede vision at night at all unlike the dark.  We did pay at extra 5k PHP for the privilege though.

That is good to know.  After driving my Everest a short while at night I realized how much the tent hampered my night vision.  I had mentioned to others before someone may be able to make a fortune if they developed a windshield/windscreen that would be change from clear at night to tent during daylight similar like photochromic or transition eye glasses.

• Like 4

Joey G
Posted
Posted

Regarding your night vision... have you been checked for cataracts lately?  I know for me it was not obvious at all I was developing cataracts (all was good during the daytime)... but at night it was a lot more apparent.  Just a thought to check into.

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, intrepid said:

That is good to know.  After driving my Everest a short while at night I realized how much the tent hampered my night vision.  I had mentioned to others before someone may be able to make a fortune if they developed a windshield/windscreen that would be change from clear at night to tent during daylight similar like photochromic or transition eye glasses.

I just did a quick search and can't find them anywhere so I'm guessing it's prohibitively expensive?  Just as an aside the Aussie military banned the technology when operationally deployed as it takes to long to transition particularly when going from daylight back into a relatively darker environment like a ship; some accidents occurred.  Not an issue in a sunset situation whilst driving though and I can't think of anywhere in PI that has extensive road tunnels. 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, hk blues said:

That said, I rarely drive at night.  

Very wise, same same just drive local and not far at night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Brett, what brand is your tint?