Car Buying - Another Factor To Consider

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

Regarding your night vision... have you been checked for cataracts lately?  I know for me it was not obvious at all I was developing cataracts (all was good during the daytime)... but at night it was a lot more apparent.  Just a thought to check into.

I think I am ok there.  I just got new glasses and the eye exam for those.  My vision had not changed for the past two years.

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Brett, what brand is your tint?  

3M - fitted at the dealership so no idea what it would cost on the open market.  UV protection and anti-glare as well. The anti-glare works, there's nothing coming off the ocean on a sunny day on the coastal roads around here. 

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
28 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

3M - fitted at the dealership so no idea what it would cost on the open market.  UV protection and anti-glare as well. The anti-glare works, there's nothing coming off the ocean on a sunny day on the coastal roads around here. 

I was reading about the newest 3M tints.  That might be "The firm also has an excellent ceramic window tint line known as Crystalline, and it boasts of the best TSER (Total Solar Energy Rejected).".  p5000 extra is probably a great deal.

I see Huber Optics here a lot too, and it is supposed to be very good.

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, BrettGC said:

We opted for the reflective tint rather than the dark on our Rush and couldn't be happier.  It not only keeps the car cooler but doesn't impede vision at night at all unlike the dark.  We did pay at extra 5k PHP for the privilege though.

I also enjoy being higher, much better field of view.

We would have been happy to pay the extra 5k for the reflective tint but the agent didn't mention such an option - in fact she didn't mention any tint was included so it didn't cross our minds to ask.  We were actually her very 1st customer so I can cut her some slack for that.  

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, hk blues said:

We would have been happy to pay the extra 5k for the reflective tint but the agent didn't mention such an option - in fact she didn't mention any tint was included so it didn't cross our minds to ask.  We were actually her very 1st customer so I can cut her some slack for that.  

It might be worth it to replace it.  Shop around.  For my large Trailblazer, including removing the old tint, the Nexfilm ceramic was 8500.  Smaller car should be less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

It might be worth it to replace it.  Shop around.  For my large Trailblazer, including removing the old tint, the Nexfilm ceramic was 8500.  Smaller car should be less.

Thanks for the tip and info. The car is only 5 months old so I'm not really willing to spend a few thousand on something that's not much more than an inconvenience as we next to never drive at night.  If and when the tint starts to bubble and peel we'll replace with something better.  Part of the problem is that lighting is generally poor anyway so even a better tint won't solve the problem completely. 

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 12/14/2023 at 6:53 PM, BrettGC said:

We opted for the reflective tint rather than the dark on our Rush and couldn't be happier.  It not only keeps the car cooler but doesn't impede vision at night at all unlike the dark.  We did pay at extra 5k PHP for the privilege though.

I also enjoy being higher, much better field of view.

Glad I spotted this, thanks Brett.

We were talking about this last night as I am close to pulling the plug on night driving especially after a few beers, here in Bacolod so many motors, bicycles without lights......accident waiting to happen. My partner has a swift but very dark tint makes it impossible to drive at night. 

Going to change to this reflective tint, wonder if it goes by any other name as trying to explain anything here is a nightmare, plus my partner gets even more frustrated than me. Was your reflective tint fitted  in Cebu Brett?

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RBM said:

Was your reflective tint fitted  in Cebu Brett?

At the Toyota dealership in Dumaguete just prior to delivery.  You could walk into a new car dealer as ask about it to get the details maybe? Getting it done there might be more expensive than with another supplier though. I know the local Rusco dealership does it in town here as well.  It's the same 3M reflective coating they put on building windows so maybe a local glass supplier or somewhere like Citi/Ace/Triumph hardware?  If Citi has it they'll probably install it for you for a fee; they install just about every thing else they sell when asked and from personal experience do a good job.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, RBM said:

We were talking about this last night as I am close to pulling the plug on night driving especially after a few beers, here in Bacolod so many motors, bicycles without lights......accident waiting to happen. My partner has a swift but very dark tint makes it impossible to drive at night. 

Going to change to this reflective tint, wonder if it goes by any other name as trying to explain anything here is a nightmare, plus my partner gets even more frustrated than me. Was your reflective tint fitted  in Cebu Brett?

If you have access to Facebook, search (your city) car tint, and there will be several.  Most will have samples.  Ceramic or nano ceramic seems to be the latest.  3m has a version of it and I think I mentioned the name above.  I think a dealer will charge double, at least, for a walkin.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 12/17/2023 at 7:58 AM, RBM said:

The other, and cheaper and more effective option, is of course to have no tint!  Given the efficiency of a/c in cars nowadays I'm not sure how big a deal it really is. At least one of my neighbours removed it and didn't replace.

• Like 2