Car Buying - Another Factor To Consider

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

The other, and cheaper and more effective option, is of course to have no tint!  Given the efficiency of a/c in cars nowadays I'm not sure how big a deal it really is. At least one of my neighbours removed it and didn't replace.

I've been tempted.  The hot sun here is much more damaging to the interior of the car, without tint.  And my wife would open her umbrella inside the car.  And I would be instantly pulled over by the crocodiles in Manila / Makati.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I've been tempted.  The hot sun here is much more damaging to the interior of the car, without tint.  And my wife would open her umbrella inside the car.  And I would be instantly pulled over by the crocodiles in Manila / Makati.

I think your last point is highly relevant based on comments from others but is this purely anecdotal or is there something in it, do you think?

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I think your last point is highly relevant based on comments from others but is this purely anecdotal or is there something in it, do you think?

Personally, 3 pullovers when visiting Manila, even with tint.  First one in my old Avanza, it was super light tint.  I was with my nephew in Makati and they could probably see the $ signs glowing on our foreheads.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Personally, 3 pullovers when visiting Manila, even with tint.  First one in my old Avanza, it was super light tint.  I was with my nephew in Makati and they could probably see the $ signs glowing on our foreheads.

I've been pulled over twice here, and that's with tint!  Two different locations, same LTO officer both times.  We saw him every day looking for 'victims' but he hasn't been around for more than 2 weeks - maybe he pissed off the wrong person. 

Possum
Posted
Posted

There's not a window tint law in Philippines, unless things have changed in the last year

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, Possum said:

There's not a window tint law in Philippines, unless things have changed in the last year

Maybe I confused you.

I wasn't pulled over because of my tint, rather some other made up reason i.e. going through a traffic signal on amber (number 3 amber) and turning right into a two-lane road in the outside (2nd) lane! 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, hk blues said:

Maybe I confused you.

I wasn't pulled over because of my tint, rather some other made up reason i.e. going through a traffic signal on amber (number 3 amber) and turning right into a two-lane road in the outside (2nd) lane! 

I got pulled over in Florida for tint being too dark.  Had to change it.  In the U.S. I think one of the justifications for not allowing for tint to be dark is police safety.  They can't see the guns.

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I got pulled over in Florida for tint being too dark.  Had to change it.  In the U.S. I think one of the justifications for not allowing for tint to be dark is police safety.  They can't see the guns.

They are serious about tint in Florida for safety reasons not just for the police but the drivers. I had the darkest tint legally installed there as I was living in a condo with no covered parking, wanted to reduce the heat. I was stopped  and the first thing the officer did was hold a card against the inside of my window to see if he could read it. Then he asked my Caucasian self if I knew why he stopped me. I said ,"Because I'm black?" He looked shocked and looked around the inside then advised me I was 5 mph over the speed limit and to slow down. I went on my way.

• Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

In Australia it's a ridiculous situation in that "darkest legal tint" differs from state to state and then differs from window to window. 

In Queensland, there are following rules that you should follow before applying any tints. Each of the windows of your vehicle have a specific VLT (visible light transmission) percentage. Below are the following.

Windshield only the uppermost 10% windshield may be tinted.
Front side windows: It must have more than 35% VLT.
Backside windows: Must have more than 20% VLT.
Rear window: Must have more than 20% VLT.

Darkest Legal Tint Qld

I've never heard of anyone being pulled over for it but it's not unheard of for people to have to change their tint if they move interstate and want to pass their new state's registration check.