I will be moving permanently to the Philippines on January the 23rd I need advice

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 12/16/2023 at 12:03 PM, jimeve said:

if you have kids with her, if she dies you can still live here with your kids

on 13A? Needs sourcing.

On 12/14/2023 at 10:52 PM, rikstick4493 said:

I plan on marrying my fiance who lives in Cebu.

A good rule for marriage is don't get married until you're sure she's better for you than other Filipinas, not just better than other American broads (which isn't difficult).

• Like 5

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 12/16/2023 at 7:31 PM, jimeve said:

Don't know for sure, wouldn't that be so wrong when the kids finished full time education, then having to get a tourist visa or leave your kids behind.

I doubt it.

There doesn't seem to be any definitive ruling on this, but plenty of suggestions that the BI may be willing to allow the 13a to run until the child is 21.  Some comments suggest this would apply only if the child is a Filipino citizen, living with the 13a visa holder and unmarried i.e. truly a dependant. All this suggests to me that each BI office may apply different levels of flexibility.  

I suppose the fact that other options exist i.e. tourist, retirement etc. is why no firm policy has been made.  Of course, given that the wife doesn't need to sign anything on renewal of ACR and no photo of the wife is part of the 13a process many may take the path of least resistance and carry on as if nothing had happened.  Personally, I wouldn't take that route as it's a ticking time bomb and if and when it detonates there will be little sympathy or flexibility from the BI.

• Like 4

jimeve
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Kingpin said:

on 13A? Needs sourcing.

A good rule for marriage is don't get married until you're sure she's better for you than other Filipinas, not just better than other American broads (which isn't difficult).

I think it depends on the BI office. I was doing my annual report and an American was doing his report. The BI officer asked if he was still married and he replied his wife died a few months ago. The officer asked if he had kids with her and he had two. Officer told him he could stay in the country and continue with his 13A.

What happens when the youngest reaches 21 I don't know. Maybe go the tourist route!

• Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 12/18/2023 at 1:38 PM, jimeve said:

I think it depends on the BI office. I was doing my annual report and an American was doing his report. The BI officer asked if he was still married and he replied his wife died a few months ago. The officer asked if he had kids with her and he had two. Officer told him he could stay in the country and continue with his 13A.

I wonder what happens when he needs to renew his I-Card, which lists the wife as the petitioner.

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

I wonder what happens when he needs to renew his I-Card, which lists the wife as the petitioner.

You don't need anything from your wife to renew your card and your wife is not mentioned on it :tiphat:

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

You don't need anything from your wife to renew your card and your wife is not mentioned on it :tiphat:

Yep...and further, I just took a quick look at the Annual Report form and see that whilst there are sections for both spouse and petitioner, neither section is required to be filled in.  

It seems that once you jump through all the hoops to get the 13a there is nothing to make sure you continue to qualify.  Nothing other than someone with a grudge against you, that is!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 12/19/2023 at 6:44 PM, Jack Peterson said:

You must not have a card, because your petitioner-wife's name is listed in full right on the back. :tiphat:

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kingpin said:

You must not have a card, because your petitioner-wife's name is listed in full right on the back. :tiphat:

So it is But she still has nothing to do for a renewal

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 3

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

So it is But she still has nothing to do for a renewal

Except being alive, which is the other point you're missing.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Except being alive, which is the other point you're missing.

No mate, I am not missing any point, I know of 2 people ( whose wives are  passed away)and who are still ( illegally) holding a 13 a. As they ( wives) have NO input after probation for renewal of I cards, you can nit pick all you want but life is and  goes on, for me, you need I feel to give this up while you are losing :shades:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1