Cabbie charged foreigners P10K each; locked them up until they paid

Lee
Posted
Posted

Authorities are looking for the taxi driver who charged his Taiwanese passengers as much as P10,000 each for a ride from the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3 to Terminal 4.

According to a "24 Oras" report by Jonathan Andal, the cabbie even locked up his passengers until they have paid the taxi bill.

The incident was recorded on video which was uploaded and became viral.  However, the video did not catch the plate number or body number of the vehicle.

In the video, it can be seen that a fake taxi fare list with the logo of the Department of Tourism and NAIA was handed over by the driver to the passengers.

Based on the list, the fare to Terminal 3 costs over P13,000 per passenger while the cheapest fare for those bound to hotels and bus terminals in Metro Manila is P10,000 pesos per passenger.

The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) is now investigating the video. However, the agency said it has no information on the driver's identity and the taxi's plate number.

The uploader refused to be interviewed but said that his Taiwanese boyfriend only shared the video which came from a Facebook group of Taiwanese tourists in the Philippines. 

According to the original post, it was the guard at NAIA who took the Taiwanese passengers to the taxi driver since there was no shuttle bus in the area. 

The cabbie allegedly even locked up the passengers in the taxi until they paid P10,000 per person, which was reduced to P5,000 per passenger after they bargained.

The Manila International Airport Authority is investigating the incident.

Meanwhile, the LTFRB also warned that the said driver could be suspended once proven that he overcharged the passengers. 

Cabbie charged foreigners P10K each; locked them up until they paid (msn.com)

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

IMO these are the words that stand out in this article

56 minutes ago, Lee said:

LTFRB also warned

could be suspended

once proven

We will never hear about this again,,,,

• Like 1
  • Love it 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

I would have kicked out a window.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Mike J said:

I would have kicked out a window.

1 hour ago, Lee said:

his Taiwanese boyfriend

You and me both,,,,,but I am willing to be the deed to my house (or at least my wifes house lol) that the words in bold might have had a bit to do with it lol :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lee said:

How many tourists do you actually see here?  Most people come here because of a relationship.  The few others I have seen are 99% Asian.  Will the few tourists that do come return after being overcharged or having the experience of having their luggage stolen at the airport?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Long lines, delays and attempts to hustle you at NAIA is too much.  My expensive solution is arranging for a hotel car.  Their P2,500 one way fee is worth it.  After just 2 weeks in Makati, we have already encountered problems using Grab and city taxis. 

Our travel plans include a trip to Baguio City.  We have arranged to hire a car and driver for four days at the start of the New Year.  My brother-in-law and sister invited us to stay at Baguio Country Club where they are members.  Apparently, the facility, for an extra charge, has a dorm and offers meals for drivers.  The suggestion of taking a luxury bus is good, but it means taking a taxi and carrying our luggage to the bus terminal and another taxi ride once we are in Baguio.

• Like 3

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Lee1154 said:

How many tourists do you actually see here? 

We see many many tourists in Moalboal.  The tourist industry is what drives the local economy.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm suspicious as to the accuracy of this story. 

Gator
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Lee said:

The cabbie allegedly even locked up the passengers in the taxi

Sounds like a modernized version of an old joke. You know, the one about the guy who accidentally locked his family in the car.🤣🤣🤣 

Possum
Posted
Posted

I find some parts of this story believable. Three years ago my daughter arrived at NAIA Terminal 1 while I was at Terminal 3 at 1130pm. I told her to get the shuttle bus but she couldn't find it so I said I would come to her. I asked the guard where to get the shuttle bus and he said,"Sorry sir no shuttle bus after 11 but I can get you a taxi and he produced one immediately. I asked the driver how much and he said only 2000 peso. I told him to go away after I got his info. I then took a photo of the security guard, he even smiled. Went upstairs and found the shuttle bus station myself and the bus driver said they run 24/7. I turned all this information over to the airport administration and never heard another word back.

I spent years dealing with the NAIA taxi mafia. There is no doubt in my mind the people running the airport condone and profit from it. It's their way of introducing visitors to the Philippines

• Like 1
  • Sad 1