Cabbie charged foreigners P10K each; locked them up until they paid

hk blues
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, Possum said:

I find some parts of this story believable. Three years ago my daughter arrived at NAIA Terminal 1 while I was at Terminal 3 at 1130pm. I told her to get the shuttle bus but she couldn't find it so I said I would come to her. I asked the guard where to get the shuttle bus and he said,"Sorry sir no shuttle bus after 11 but I can get you a taxi and he produced one immediately. I asked the driver how much and he said only 2000 peso. I told him to go away after I got his info. I then took a photo of the security guard, he even smiled. Went upstairs and found the shuttle bus station myself and the bus driver said they run 24/7. I turned all this information over to the airport administration and never heard another word back.

I spent years dealing with the NAIA taxi mafia. There is no doubt in my mind the people running the airport condone and profit from it. It's their way of introducing visitors to the Philippines

2,000 I can understand, but 10,000?  It's just asking for trouble IMO.

• Like 2

Possum
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

2,000 I can understand, but 10,000?  It's just asking for trouble IMO.

Even 2,000 is 10x the actual metered price.

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, scott h said:

You and me both,,,,,but I am willing to be the deed to my house (or at least my wifes house lol) that the words in bold might have had a bit to do with it lol :whistling:

nah, Filipinos use his and hers interchangeably.   They have no pronouns for gender in tagalog

• Haha 1

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

NAIA has a free transfer bus that makes it's rounds to terminal 1, 2 , 3 and 4. And it runs 24/7,why get caught up in the NAIA scams that have been going on for decades.

Lee
Posted
Posted

In case you were wondering what the shuttle fares are between NAIA and points in Manila.

You don't have to pay P10,000': Here are the updated premium airport shuttle bus fares

You may have already read about the latest airport taxi scam to go viral: the one involving an alleged ‘airport-accredited regular taxi’ who attempted to charge passengers upwards of P10,000 for a ride. The amount is shocking, but incidents like this happen so often, it doesn’t come as a surprise anymore.

Bus company UBE Express has now released the updated rates for its premium airport shuttle bus service with this note: "You don’t have to pay P10,000. Always ask for a receipt." The service runs between Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) and several locations in Metro Manila and Laguna, and there’s also a NAIA Loop going around the four terminals.

NAIA Loop

• NAIA Terminal 1, 2, 3, 4 – P50

NAIA point-to-point (P2P) service

• Robinsons Santa Rosa – P300
  • Araneta City Cubao – P200
  • Ayala South Park – P200
  • Robinsons Place Manila – P150
  • Robinsons Galleria Ortigas – P150
  • Victory Liner Pasay – P150
  • PITX Parañaque – P150

You’ll have to check the UBE Express page on Facebook regularly for each route’s schedule because it could change without prior notice. 

'You don't have to pay P10,000': Here are the updated premium airport shuttle bus fares (msn.com)

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Possum said:

Even 2,000 is 10x the actual metered price.

No, I agree it's verging on extortion but 10,000 is criminal.

• Like 2

GeoffH
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yeah I got caught a few years back, went to get out at the hotel and the driver said 2000 peso.

I argued and said it was a less than 500 peso trip and why wasn’t your meter on.

He got very angry, so much so that the security guard from the front of the hotel came over and talked to him.

After a bit the security guard said he talked him down to 1000 peso, which I reluctantly paid.

I should have taken a photo of the cab after I got out but I didn’t think of it in time.

Since then I don’t use white taxis at NAIA.

But 10000… that’s some next level scamming!

Edited by GeoffH
  • Like 4

starrt
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

Here's a follow up article, supposedly the driver has been identified...

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/12/28/23/lto-suspends-license-of-taxi-driver-in-viral-overcharging-video

The Land Transportation Office (LTO) has issued a 90-day preventive suspension on the license of a taxi driver caught in a viral video charging a P10,000 fare to a foreign tourist at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).

In the show-cause order (SCO) issued to the taxi driver, LTO chief Vigor D. Mendoza II said the driver was ordered to explain the alleged overcharging.

Mendoza said the driver violated at least three provisions of the Joint Administrative Order 2014-01 on overcharging passengers, discourtesy and arrogance to passengers, and violation of the franchise.

Airport taxi na naningil umano ng P10,000 sa Taiwanese na pasahero, hinahanap
“Under the guidance of Department of Transportation Secretary Jaime J. Bautista, we are now coordinating with the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board on the sanctions that may be imposed on the operator of the taxi,” said Mendoza.

Bautista earlier said the entire fleet of the taxi company that owns the cab will be barred from operating at the NAIA.

Mendoza said the probe led to the identification of the taxi through CCTV footage.

The taxi was seen in parking area of the taxi company in Valenzuela City. Based on the statement of the operator after the video went viral, the driver went on vacation in his province.

The driver did not report for work since he last appeared to remit his earnings to the taxi owner on Dec. 19. He is believed to have gone into hiding.

“We are now coordinating with the Philippine National Police and our local offices to locate this man. Hindi tayo papayag na palampasin na lang ang ginawa niya dahil nagdulot ito ng kahihiyan sa ating bansa, at sa lahat ng Pilipino,” said Mendoza

Edited by Mike J
  • Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, starrt said:

Hi all,

Here's a follow up article, supposedly the driver has been identified...

https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/12/28/23/lto-suspends-license-of-taxi-driver-in-viral-overcharging-video

I notice the article doesn’t mention the driver by name. Perhaps another article does. Might help to catch him if they publicly identified the guy and posted his pic. 

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, starrt said:

Bautista earlier said the entire fleet of the taxi company that owns the cab will be barred from operating at the NAIA.

Hopefully they didn't follow through on this one now he's been caught. It's been my experience that the vast majority of drivers around NAIA are honest, hard working people.  There's outliers in every industry...

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 1