Cabbie charged foreigners P10K each; locked them up until they paid

Joey G
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Cola Cubes said:

Think in centavos, not pesos, never mind dollars.

I like that.... next time the 8 year old niece asks for a new phone I'll ask how many centavos that would be!  7 digits minimum is my guess :tiphat:  

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Cola Cubes said:

Tip 10% to a taxi driver?

Many people here do assembly job out work for 30 centavos per assembly.  That is alot of work to get just 50 pesos or so.  

So my approach is,  why should a taxi driver, who already earns a good salary, easily receive money when the poorest do not?  It demeans the value of the money.  If you choose to give  you could aim more precisely, unless the giving is actually mainly a "feel good" factor for the ego of the donor.

I have been working with the poorest people here for 17 years.  Not an armchair commentator.  Fire away.

If you've followed this forum for any length of time you'd see that the majority of posters haven't imported the USA culture for tipping anybody and everybody who as much as smiles at them. There are 1 or 2 who are he'll bent on doing so but they remain where they belong - in isolation. 

I never tip taxi drivers here for several reasons, including the simple fact they rarely earn it.

I do agree with you that oftentimes here tipping is for the benefit of the giver in much the same way as in China where it's all about face so everyone fights over the bill. We're not living in a tipping culture so let's keep it that way.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, hk blues said:

I never tip taxi drivers here for several reasons, including the simple fact they rarely earn it.

I don't like to carry a bunch of coins so I "sort of" tip taxi drivers depending on the final meter fee.  I make sure that I carry small bills to include 20 peso notes.  When I pay I tell him to keep any small change.    

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

Here we go again... Another tipping discussion....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

Here we go again

here we go again.jpg

• Haha 3