Music Buffs/Audiophiles

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

Any music buffs in the group?  I brought about 75 percent of my vinyl over here with me, and most of my stereo equipment.  I was pleasantly surprised to find many filipinos who shared a passion for collecting vinyl etc (way more than I expected).   

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Any music buffs in the group?  I brought about 75 percent of my vinyl over here with me, and most of my stereo equipment.  I was pleasantly surprised to find many filipinos who shared a passion for collecting vinyl etc (way more than I expected).   

Out of interest, how do the covers stand up to the humidity here? Or, do you have them covered in plastic?

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Out of interest, how do the covers stand up to the humidity here? Or, do you have them covered in plastic?

about 90 percent are in plastic.   For awhile about 40 percent of my collection was not in an air conditioned room, and I have seen some mold on a few (hoping thats it).   I still have 5 or 6 boxes boxes that I have not yet opened, but the rest are now comfortably breathing in a room that is air conditioned (not 24 hours a day, but enough to take care of my collection).   PS, the plastic really wont help that much, especially if they are in humid areas for an extended length of time.  I put them in plastic to protect the album cover, avoid that ring. 

• Thanks 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I left about 900 LPs in purpose built metal rubber sealed boxes at my parents place, most in plastic covers.  The limited run/collectors items are framed with a glass covering.  About 1300 CDs in the same state.   They're kept in the climate controlled wine storage room which is a good thing; it's a semi-tropical climate.  They're in good hands as it was my parents that instilled my love of music in me.  

The pride and joy is original pressings of every Pink Floyd album while Roger Waters was still in the band, signed by Roger waters.  My daughter was nanny to his grandkids for 2 years in the UK starting around 2010.  I was calling her one night on Skype and this head I recognised appeared; I tried not to go all fan boy but man, it was tough but I managed to get out a conversation.  Damn nice bloke.  Anyway, long story short turns out the family adored my daughter and he sent me the LPs without me asking.  I sent a thank you note via snail mail and never heard from him again.  My daughter still stays in touch with the family though.  

On the CD front it's the limited edition numbered and signed by the surviving members Led Zeppelin Remasters.  It's not the 2 CD mass release version but the 4 CD collectors set.  My ex-wife bought it for me for my birthday one year.  Yes, we all loved our ex's once. 

Over the years I managed to digitise most of the LP collection in a way that still retains that old LP sound.  Same for the CD's but that's already digital media so not much hiss and static unless the original recording method was analogue and deliberately "dirty".  I have them backed up on a cloud and 2 external HDD/SSD as well. 

I didn't bring any of my stereo gear, way too bulky as some of it was analogue but I do have some excellent Dolby 5.1 surround speakers running out of one of my laptops via USC-C.  SteelSeries Arena 9 if you're interested.  

• Like 5

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

Pink Floyd album while Roger Waters was still in the band, signed by Roger waters.  My daughter was nanny to his grandkids for 2 years in the UK starting around 2010.  I was calling her one night on Skype and this head I recognised appeared; I tried not to go all fan boy but man, it was tough but I managed to get out a conversation.  Damn nice bloke.  Anyway, long story short turns out the family adored my daughter and he sent me the LPs without me asking.

wow!!!   I've been trying to get his Amused to Death album on vinyl for years.   Hard to find and when I do find it, it is out of my price range

• Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

wow!!!   I've been trying to get his Amused to Death album on vinyl for years.   Hard to find and when I do find it, it is out of my price range

None of his solo stuff was sent unfortunately.  Obviously more than happy with what I did receive though considering it wasn't even asked for :smile:.  My daughter explained to him what a massive Floyd fan I was pre-'84.

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

None of his solo stuff was sent unfortunately.  Obviously more than happy with what I did receive though considering it wasn't even asked for :smile:.  My daughter explained to him what a massive Floyd fan I was pre-'84.

what you have is quite incredible

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

@BrettGC Double wow!  While still living with my parents, I wore out a few sets of headphones listening to Dark Side of the Moon.  I had a Master or something like that of it.  All my vinyl is gone now, but I have a DVD Audio of it that is awesome on a good surround system.  When I get into our new house I'm going to dig it out.

@craftbeerlover I was on the road today when I saw your post.  I immediately thought of my BIL (actually husband of SIL) in Auckland.  He has a garage full of older amps, speakers, turntables, etc., and loads of vinyl.  When we were visiting a few years ago, he took me to a music store in Auckland that carries a lot of old used and new vinyl.  He stops by every few weeks to take a look.

So I get home tonight and they called my wife on video call!  They are visiting my wife's other brother and family in Brisbane.  So I asked him about vinyl in PH.  He said there is a shop in MOA but it is mostly local artists that have been repressed.  And there is a shop somewhere in Quezon City.  He could not remember either name.

• Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I made a post about my BILs collection back then:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

@BrettGC Double wow!  While still living with my parents, I wore out a few sets of headphones listening to Dark Side of the Moon.  I had a Master or something like that of it.  All my vinyl is gone now, but I have a DVD Audio of it that is awesome on a good surround system.  When I get into our new house I'm going to dig it out.

@craftbeerlover I was on the road today when I saw your post.  I immediately thought of my BIL (actually husband of SIL) in Auckland.  He has a garage full of older amps, speakers, turntables, etc., and loads of vinyl.  When we were visiting a few years ago, he took me to a music store in Auckland that carries a lot of old used and new vinyl.  He stops by every few weeks to take a look.

So I get home tonight and they called my wife on video call!  They are visiting my wife's other brother and family in Brisbane.  So I asked him about vinyl in PH.  He said there is a shop in MOA but it is mostly local artists that have been repressed.  And there is a shop somewhere in Quezon City.  He could not remember either name.

There are actually quite a few.   I know a couple of the shop owners, met them at the Legazpi market in Makati.  They sell albums there every Sunday.   Also attended a vinyl/stereo event at the Dusit hotel many years ago.   Found another place that sells used albums in Clark Freeport Zone, and he has A LOT.   I have not thumbed thru them yet and probably wont anytime soon.  My buying days are just about over, I have about 4000 now, and thinking that is about enough.  

• Like 1