Concerts

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted

What was the first and the best concert you ever attended?   My first concert was the Doobie Brothers in 1975...  Best concert really is a coin toss.     Was front row for the Stones, Santana, and Bob Seger, so those are all memorable.  The most fun concert I ever saw was a band called NRBQ, saw them in a bar in my home town, tons of energy, playing to the crowd, really enjoying the show they were putting on.   The beer and... and good friends helped of course

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

The first concert was The Police on their Synchronicity tour in 1983, I was 14.  Great night and learnt some things that a 14yo probably shouldn't know hahahaha.

The best I ever saw was Lou Reed.  The worst I ever saw was Lou Reed.  One was when he was sober, the other when he was still in the throws of addiction.... I'll let you guess which was the better concert.  

Other Notables are Billy Bragg, Sting solo, Nine Inch Nails, Type O Negative, KMFDM, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop and dozens of others.

Weirdest experience was taking my mother and her friends to see AC/DC on their Black Ice tour in 2010.  These ladies were all in their 60's and 70's and had been fans since Bon Scott was their singer before he passed.  People of all ages there.  It's what I love about music, it's a great unifier.  

LIve music is amazing and there's bands/artists I'd never given a second thought to until I was dragged along to their concerts. 

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

The Police on their Synchronicity tour

Wow, I saw the Police on that tour as well.  Flock of Seagulls and the Fixx were the warmup bands.   Was 1983 in Foxborough, MA.   Great concert!!!

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

The best I ever saw was Lou Reed

Yeah, Lou Reed can be all over the place, your concert experiences kind of mirror his studio albums, some are great and others I cant listen to a second time.  Having said that, his live album Rock n Roll Animal is one of the best live albums ever made IMO. 

• Like 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

My first concert was the Doobie Brothers in 1975..

So what mine actually.

The best live performance that I ever saw was Sonny Rollins on his tenor sax.

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Lee said:

So what mine actually.

The best live performance that I ever saw was Sonny Rollins on his tenor sax.

wow, he is still alive, born 1930!!

jimeve
Posted
Posted

My first concert was Pink Floyd, Manchester UK.  I was already hooked on them, I had all the early stuff when Syd Barrett was lead singer. Later when David Gilmour, I had most albums, my favorite is Meddle followed by Dark side. 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

wow, he is still alive, born 1930!!

I believe that he has quit touring now---why wouldn't he at his age.

Wife and I used to hit jazz and blues fests quite often in Boston, Chicago, and Montreal. Not too many years ago these cities used to be fun places to go.

Memorable Phantom of the Opera performance seen at the Majestic Theater, Manhattan. Just noted that this opera finally shut down in April of 2023 after almost 14K performances.

Edited by Lee
  • Like 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

Wow, I saw the Police on that tour as well.  Flock of Seagulls and the Fixx were the warmup bands.   Was 1983 in Foxborough, MA.   Great concert!!!

Hard to imagine him playing second fiddle to anyone but it was Bryan Adams when I saw them in Sydney but it was before he became as big as he eventually did.  Also playing were legendary local act The Sunnyboys.  

• Like 1

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

Iron Maiden, last year. The concert was good but showing my son and his friends that went to the show with us how to sneak past the guards and get up front was priceless. 

• Haha 2