Going to Kaohsiung for total medical checkup and treatment

Avalon
Posted
Posted (edited)

Kaohsiung, Taiwan has received accolades from Asian expats as the top spot for private medical treatment in terms of cost and quality - here's an example.

My Filipino uncle had a minor heart attack two years ago and was rushed to Holy Angel Hospital in Angeles - 3 days and one stent fitted he paid P1.4 million - call it US$25,000+

In contrast my 65yo German friend needed a stent in mid 2019 and flew to Veterans General Hospital in Kaohsiung (1hr 50mins MLN to KHH direct flight / P10,000 return).

They did a whole host of tests and ascertained he needed 3 stents plus work on other major arteries.  He was there as a private in-patient for 6 weeks getting 3 stents, other scans, tests and surgeries, and left with a goodie bag of 6 months medication - total cost US$15,000

He raved about everything in the hospital - which had me interested as most Germans I know are very particular on details and conformity.

As he was given his final check the elderly Chinese doctor told him that as he had been there 6 weeks and stopped smoking he should continue this.  The doc said he had 10 years or more if he stopped for good - otherwise he probably had 2 years but not 3.   Sadly he resumed smoking and 2 years 2 months later was found dead on his kitchen floor making the morning coffee.

The wife and I will go there in March for total medical checkups and possible dental implants and IVF options, here are some links - I'll update the thread as we go:

https://www.kcmt.org.tw/en/health-check2-3.html

https://www.kcmt.org.tw/img/folding-en.pdf

https://www.kcmt.org.tw/en/feature10-kvgh.html

Edited by Avalon
Edited links
  • Like 5

Lee
Posted
Posted

Are you using cash, insurance, or CC to pay for your treatment? Some details about this would be appreciated.

Avalon
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Lee said:

Are you using cash, insurance, or CC to pay for your treatment? Some details about this would be appreciated.

Cash as my German friend did.  He did a video chat with the doctor before he left (and subsequently afterwards) then arrived for treatment with nothing paid until he checked out 6 weeks later.

Lee
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Avalon said:

total cost US$15,000

Any problems getting 15K USD cash (or it's  equivalent) through Taiwan Customs to pay for services rendered?

It would take quite a few trips to the ATM to have 15K USD (or 465K NT dollars) in hand to pay for treatment.

Avalon
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Lee said:

Any problems getting 15K USD cash (or it's  equivalent) through Taiwan Customs to pay for services rendered?

It would take quite a few trips to the ATM to have 15K USD (or 465K NT dollars) in hand to pay for treatment.

I don't know how he sorted that and as he's passed away can't ask him.  My needs will be easier and so ATM withdrawals there should be fine.  I always travel with cash as once you've experienced card failures at critical times overseas you tend not to rely on plastic.  Could also go online to HSBC HK and transfer to the hospital direct I'd imagine - but will check and update the thread prior to leaving

• Thanks 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

Most hospitals in Taiwan, Thailand etc., take credit and debit cards.

• Like 1

Avalon
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Possum said:

Most hospitals in Taiwan, Thailand etc., take credit and debit cards.

Great to hear thanks.  I'm looking forward to this - Philippines health care even at premier Manila institutions is piece meal and second rate.  My German friend's experience at KVGH was essentially a one-stop shop of the best staff and facilities in one location.  We can get checked for everything in one day and then look at in-house options to address anything of concern as well as dental implants etc at a higher standard and much lower cost then here - then go home and back to work knowing we're sorted - and with video chat access to the treating doctors as required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lee
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Avalon said:

Philippines health care even at premier Manila institutions is piece meal and second rate.

I have argued this for years to little or no avail.

• Like 1

Avalon
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Lee said:

I have argued this for years to little or no avail.

Hi Lee.  I have a 57yo American friend now in Zambales in need of treatment for a long term foot injury that has spiraled out of control.  He waited almost a week for an Olongapo doctor to attend the hospital and prescribe Morphine (it's very serious pain), goes to Clark Medical City for an MRI, to St Lukes in Manila for a doctor to read the MRI - it takes weeks for appointments plus travel and is ad hoc and second rate at best.  The system here is purely a business with little to no care for the patient.

Having said that we have an awesome GP here in Concepcion who is the exception to the rule but as a provincial GP can only do so much.

There is just no one-stop shop here for world-class medical care at a reasonable price - even with airfares and accommodation in Taiwan the travel time and cost saved here for overpriced treatment makes it a good option.

I last visited Kaohsiung in 2000 when there were direct flights from Subic International Airport.  Wonderful place, totally different to Taipei and places up North in Taiwan.  The mainland Chinese KMT invaded in 1949 with Chang Kai-Shek and took over the North - but the South is mainly the original inhabitants of Formosa.

Low cost similar to here for staying and eating etc, layback atmosphere, awesome fresh seafood and super-friendly people.  The wife and I will enjoy the break as well as the treatments.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Avalon said:

Philippines health care even at premier Manila institutions is piece meal and second rate. 

If people really think this  I have to wonder why they choose to stay here, I am a 12 year Stroke survivor and have received nothing but Good  Medical Care:tiphat: