Going to Kaohsiung for total medical checkup and treatment

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Had a mate have heart attack , lives close to Makati med so had stents. Says his time in intensive care was super, great care, but when in general ward was distinctly average. Bill was 1.2 mill pesos. He requests to go to atm to withdraw as much cash as he could ( having already given them P600k in cash ) .. no sir you are staying here till bill is paid. Ask someone to get the money for you. Imbecilic policies . He called police and said he was being kidnapped...... was then allowed to go to atm with two guards, even though they had copy of his passport, his drive licence, his address, his SRRV etc etc.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Freebie said:

He called police and said he was being kidnapped...... was then allowed to go to atm with two guards, even though they had copy of his passport, his drive licence, his address, his SRRV etc etc.....

It is illegal to hold a patient;

What is RA 8344 all about?

What is the law on unpaid hospital bills in the Philippines?

IMPLEMENTING RULES AND REGULATIONS OF REPUBLIC ACT NO. 9439, OTHERWISE KNOWN AS "AN ACT PROHIBITING THE DETENTION OF PATIENTS IN HOSPITALS AND MEDICAL CLINICS ON GROUNDS OF NON PAYMENT OF HOSPITAL BILLS OR MEDICAL EXPENSES" :tiphat:

• Like 2

Avalon
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

If people really think this  I have to wonder why they choose to stay here, I am a 12 year Stroke survivor and have received nothing but Good  Medical Care:tiphat:

For all the reasons that makes (for me) the Philippines the best place on earth to live - for 26 years now.  Unfortunately no place is utopia, it has pros and cons, and as I'm in good health medical care has not been a priority.  But for all the joys of living here - the healthcare system is crap - and I now plan to deal with this by using a better option nearby - Taiwan.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Avalon said:

the healthcare system is crap

Seems not by everyone certainly not by me

Avalon
Posted
Posted
23 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Seems not by everyone certainly not by me

Cool, you've had a good experience and that's great.  I've not needed serious treatment here but have had friends and relatives who have, some of who passed away who would have survived quite likely had they not been given second rate care and diagnosis.  That's not just my opinion, in one case that was the "off the record don't quote me" chat with one of the attending doctors and in another an opinion from a US doctor who was shocked at what was done to the patient here.

Lee
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Avalon said:

He waited almost a week for an Olongapo doctor to attend the hospital and prescribe Morphine (it's very serious pain),

As I understand it, most doctors in the PI cannot prescribe anything for pain so you just have to bear with it no matter how bad it gets.

1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

If people really think this  I have to wonder why they choose to stay here

They stay here because it's cheap or perceived to be anyway. 

1 hour ago, Avalon said:

I last visited Kaohsiung in 2000

Things could have changed a lot in almost a quarter of a century.

Hopefully your reports back to the MB will shed some light on this.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
9 minutes ago, Lee said:

As I understand it, most doctors in the PI cannot prescribe anything for pain so you just have to bear with it no matter how bad it gets.

Not so My friend;

Morphine distribution shall comply with the following: Morphine dispensing shall be covered by a duly) accomplished DOH prescription issued by a current PDEA S2 licensed doctor and dentist.

Lee
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Morphine distribution shall comply with the following: Morphine dispensing shall be covered by a duly) accomplished DOH prescription issued by a current PDEA S2 licensed doctor and dentist.

Who as I understand it are often few and far between.

Most doctors are not qualified to prescribe medications like this with the results being often predictable for the patient. Not pretty to be sure.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Lee said:

Who as I understand it are often few and far between.

Most doctors are not qualified to prescribe medications like this with the results being often predictable for the patient. Not pretty to be sure.

That is an Opinion not Fact, If you can quote statistics then please do so :huh:

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I have to wonder why they choose to stay here

We fell in love and have a family.   Decided to endure a third world country for the sake of our family.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1