Termites in the kitchen.

Onemore52
Posted
Posted (edited)

What do I spray in the kitchen to get rid of these phuckers? I think it is marine ply, hard to tell but they are loving it.

TIA

Edited by Onemore52

Onemore52
Posted
Posted

NO

• I'm Confused 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

I think most "marine ply" here is a joke. Recently we have had some work done building a new storage house for all our "stuff." In many places where the workers cut some of the "marine ply," there were huge air gaps exposed  in one or more layers. L advised me that this was the norm.

If you can access the wood, try applying Solignum on open edges and in gaps. It seems to work wonders keeping termites at bay.

Edited by Tommy T.

Lee
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

If you can access the wood, try applying Solignum on open edges and in gaps. It seems to work wonders keeping termites at bay.

When this subject came up recently some suggested using diesel fuel instead of solignum. I've seen the locals use old motor oil.

Solignum is quite expensive.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Lee said:

When this subject came up recently some suggested using diesel fuel instead of solignum. I've seen the locals use old motor oil.

Solignum is quite expensive.

That may work, but motor oil or diesel could be quite smelly.... consider the odour verses the benefits? Solignum seems to work well here. but, it's your decision - do what feels right for you.

And also remember, you get what you pay for...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 3

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

santa clara marine plywood is pricey but if you want something to last its the only thing to use. IMO of course.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted (edited)

That has been L's recommendation  to me all along... It is pricey, but, again, "you get what you pay for."

I would suggest using the Santa Clara plus the Solignum, if using plywood...

Edited by Tommy T.
  • Like 2

Lee
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

It is pricey, but, again, "you get what you pay for."

Not to put anyone off but when we rebuilt our bamboo rest house every stick of wood was coated in Solignum. Within a few weeks of completion there was evidence of insect damage (wood dust) on the floor.

A few weeks later someone opined on the MB that the culprits were really beetles not termites. IDK. YMMV.

• Hmm thinking 1

Possum
Posted
Posted

I had some rather expensive door trim installed around a closet pocket door, bought the trim at Wilcon. Started noticing some dust at the bottom after about 6 months. I have seen this before in S. Florida and decided it was wood borers. Bought a can of Soliginum foam, drilled a few small holes and injected it. That was 3 years ago and no dust since then. The borers probably came with the trim.

• Like 2

Rooster
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Onemore52 said:

What do I spray in the kitchen to get rid of these phuckers? I think it is marine ply, hard to tell but they are loving it.

TIA

I used Termite X and have never seen them again. https://orsusbiochem.net/product/termite-x/

Good information here as well.

https://www.termaxpro.com/5-best-ways-to-kill-termites-in-the-philippines/

• Like 4