Termites in the kitchen.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

"In the kitchen".

18 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

If you can access the wood, try applying Solignum on open edges and in gaps. It seems to work wonders keeping termites at bay.

I would be very cautious slapping that nasty stuff around in an existing kitchen.

• Like 2
  • Hmm thinking 1

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I would be very cautious slapping that nasty stuff around in an existing kitchen

I agree 100%. thats why we made our kitchen out of hollow block, tile and granit.

20240111_100432.jpg

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, gbmmbg said:

I agree 100%. thats why we made our kitchen out of hollow block, tile and granit.

20240111_100432.jpg

Are those the "wood-look" floor tiles?  I think we are going with those in our renovations.  Any advice in choosing / buying?

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

Are those the "wood-look" floor tiles?  I think we are going with those in our renovations.  Any advice in choosing / buying?

I've seen several installation and my only advice would be ensure the tiler doesn't run the tiles in a line i.e. offset each tile. It looks terrible when they're run in a horizontal line IMO.

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I've seen several installation and my only advice would be ensure the tiler doesn't run the tiles in a line i.e. offset each tile. It looks terrible when they're run in a horizontal line IMO.

:shades: Yep and the TERMITES might lose their way to the nest :whistling:

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, hk blues said:

That would be a very amateur mistake!  I will make sure they are clear on that!

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted

The tile we used came 6 in a box. out of the 6 tiles there are 3 different patterns and if you flip them you can go 5 rows before the patterns repeat. after a few " shit wrong tile or it needs to be flipped" i started numbering them with an arrow to show what way. The tile pattern in the bathroom was even harder for them to wrap there heads around.

20240111_190540.jpg

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, gbmmbg said:

The tile we used came 6 in a box. out of the 6 tiles there are 3 different patterns and if you flip them you can go 5 rows before the patterns repeat. after a few " shit wrong tile or it needs to be flipped" i started numbering them with an arrow to show what way. The tile pattern in the bathroom was even harder for them to wrap there heads around.

20240111_190540.jpg

I tiled both baths in our US house.  The one used a unique pattern that involved three different sizes of tile.  The no pattern in the tiles and the colors were all the same but they needed to be laid in a precise pattern.  I first drew it out on paper and then had to mark it out on the floor with a felt tip pin prior to laying the tile.  Ended up looking great.  If I can find a picture I will post later.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

That would be a very amateur mistake!  I will make sure they are clear on that!

Indeed. But...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, gbmmbg said:

20240111_190540.jpg

We had a tile that appeared to have a random pattern but on closer inspection it was not random at all.  However, the tile manufacturer had included an angled line on each tile which, if laid in the correct pattern, would create a square across the 4 tiles in the pattern set.  I've also seen similar on the underside of tiles.  Clever idea.

• Like 2