Sen. Marcos questions shipment of 39 M gallons of fuel from Pearl Harbor

Avalon
Posted
Posted

The dispute in the South China Sea is a real issue, but it doesn't go beyond that.  There is no indication whatsoever that the Chinese have any intent to invade as it would go against their larger strategic interests world-wide.  The issue is problematic but can be resolved without the need for Washington to interfere.

As for organised crime from China, I totally agree, it's a dangerous trend that needs to be stamped out - but the US military (and the CCP) have no part in this.

The problem of Chinese organised crime and the proliferation of POGO's is a matter for the Philippines government - but the money involved is slowing down the wheels.  I won't elaborate in a public forum, I'm sure you get my drift.  Government agencies, law enforcement, property developers and all involved in the food chain have a vested financial interest in keeping the gates open despite the very real social ills it brings to the country.

No, I didn't come here to see the Chinese take over - I breathed a sigh of relief every time I flew out of China to head back home here - but I also didn't come here to see the return of foreign military bases and the risks and negativity they bring either.

The Filipinos I speak to are happy to have a mutually respectful relationship with the US - and also with Russia (which is developing nicely) and China.  They don't want to be a US colony any more than they do a Chinese one.

I had a visit a few months ago from a dear long time friend who lives in Cavite.  He's a retired AFP, PSG and ISAFP officer in that career sequence and is privy to knowledge and contacts that I don't.  He made it clear he and his colleague do not want to see US assets or personnel stationed here.  He tells me what they want is to see the money injected to get better training and materiel for the AFP so that Filipinos can better defend their own country themselves.

At the end of the day it is for the Filipino to fight for his country, not outside forces that have their own vested interests that may or may not be in the interests of the country.

The US does not send men and equipment here for the benefit of the Philippines, but for the benefit of the US.  Facing a possible conflict with China, the US needs advance positioning of equipment and supplies for their "lily pad" strategies.  While these benefit the US, and can on occasion benefit the Philippines, it's not always a win-win and as the shipment of this fuel behind the back of the AFP shows - not always done in an honest manner.

In the words of a devil who I was delighted to see dead recently:

“America has no permanent friends or enemies, only interests” ― Henry Kissinger

I want to see the Philippines, run by Filipinos for their interests, become the nation it could and should be.  Yeah I know, long way to go...   :smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Avalon said:

He tells me what they want is to see the money injected to get better training and materiel for the AFP so that Filipinos can better defend their own country themselves.

So the "money injected"... is he is talking about US $... or some other source ?  

5 hours ago, Avalon said:

“America has no permanent friends or enemies, only interests” ― Henry Kissinger

Henry Kissinger didn't say that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Avalon said:

The dispute in the South China Sea is a real issue, but it doesn't go beyond that.  There is no indication whatsoever that the Chinese have any intent to invade

It does not go beyond that, other than the organized crime.  But, I would say that those are two pretty big "issues".   To the second sentence, "Since The Hague ruling, China has turned seven of the reefs it controls in the disputed waters into missile-protected military bases."   In addition to harnessing/blocking/threatening any Filipino ship that has the legal right and claim to be fishing or patrolling these waters.   

The Filipinos I speak to are happy to have a mutually respectful relationship with the US - and also with Russia (which is developing nicely) and China.  They don't want to be a US colony any more than they do a Chinese one.

Really?   Most of the Filipinos you speak with are "happy" to have relationships with China and Russia?   You are correct, they do not want to be a US colony any more than they do a Chinese one.   Having said that, they trust, like and respect the USA tenfold more than the chinese.   Is that trust tempered, yes it is and justifiably so. 

The US does not send men and equipment here for the benefit of the Philippines, but for the benefit of the US.  Facing a possible conflict with China

One, and let me repeat, we were asked to come help with this "issue" so yes part of the reason we are here is at the request of the Philippine Government to honor our treaty with them etc....   Two, the US has been very open as to why they are involved in this "issue".  3 trillion dollars of trade transits through the area that the chinese are illegally and systematically trying to control, and militarize.  Three, yup the US is repositioning assets.  Well no shit, I thought that was an obvious result of the decision of the Philippines Government.    Given the fact that China as already begun to militarize territory that belongs to the Philippines, and China's saber rattling in Taiwan...   Me thinks the Filipinos want a little help.  Do they want a war, well of course not, but they do want to draw a line in the sand and say 'enough'.  

At the end of the day it is for the Filipino to fight for his country

They cant.  They dont have the clout, they dont have the military, they dont have the assets.   They are strengthening ties with Australia, Japan, the US etc. for obvious reasons.

• Thanks 2

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

"aside from a dispute..."  are you kidding me?  The Chinese are literally stealing/occupying Philippines territory.   You ask just about any Filipino you can find, what their thoughts are on the Chinese occupying their territory, chasing fishing vessels off of their fishing locations, building islands on their territory etc...   

Philippines "ASKED" for our help and we said yes.   Did you move here to see the Philippines systematically overcome by the chinese?   Not only has organized crime (from China) escalated substantially over the last 10 years, I just wonder how many of these "workers/visitors" are here for other reasons?   "A total of 3.12 million Chinese citizens arrived in the Philippines from January 2016 to May 2018, data provided by the Bureau of Immigration."   They flooded (many illegally) this country to such an extent it forced programs like the SRRV visa program to say HALT, and subsequently reevaluate their requirement etc.  Maybe you did move here to see that?     A majority of Filipinos are more than happy to see the shift back towards a relationship with the USA.

Amen and amen.

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Mike J said:

So the Philippines expects the US to protect them in the advent of war/invasion etc. but does not want them to store fuel here. :whistling:

That sadly seems to be the case with Duerte.

• Like 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

It does not go beyond that, other than the organized crime.  But, I would say that those are two pretty big "issues".   To the second sentence, "Since The Hague ruling, China has turned seven of the reefs it controls in the disputed waters into missile-protected military bases."   In addition to harnessing/blocking/threatening any Filipino ship that has the legal right and claim to be fishing or patrolling these waters.   

Really?   Most of the Filipinos you speak with are "happy" to have relationships with China and Russia?   You are correct, they do not want to be a US colony any more than they do a Chinese one.   Having said that, they trust, like and respect the USA tenfold more than the chinese.   Is that trust tempered, yes it is and justifiably so. 

One, and let me repeat, we were asked to come help with this "issue" so yes part of the reason we are here is at the request of the Philippine Government to honor our treaty with them etc....   Two, the US has been very open as to why they are involved in this "issue".  3 trillion dollars of trade transits through the area that the chinese are illegally and systematically trying to control, and militarize.  Three, yup the US is repositioning assets.  Well no shit, I thought that was an obvious result of the decision of the Philippines Government.    Given the fact that China as already begun to militarize territory that belongs to the Philippines, and China's saber rattling in Taiwan...   Me thinks the Filipinos want a little help.  Do they want a war, well of course not, but they do want to draw a line in the sand and say 'enough'.  

They cant.  They dont have the clout, they dont have the military, they dont have the assets.   They are strengthening ties with Australia, Japan, the US etc. for obvious reasons.

Amen and amen.  Many need to go back to history and notice where Japan invaded at the same time as Pearl Harbor.

• Like 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, hk blues said:

Next for what?

To follow the footsteps of Japan during WWII.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

:AddEmoticons04230:

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Lee1154 said:

"aside from a dispute..."  are you kidding me?  The Chinese are literally stealing/occupying Philippines territory.   You ask just about any Filipino you can find, what their thoughts are on the Chinese occupying their territory, chasing fishing vessels off of their fishing locations, building islands on their territory etc...   

Philippines "ASKED" for our help and we said yes.   Did you move here to see the Philippines systematically overcome by the chinese?   Not only has organized crime (from China) escalated substantially over the last 10 years, I just wonder how many of these "workers/visitors" are here for other reasons?   "A total of 3.12 million Chinese citizens arrived in the Philippines from January 2016 to May 2018, data provided by the Bureau of Immigration."   They flooded (many illegally) this country to such an extent it forced programs like the SRRV visa program to say HALT, and subsequently reevaluate their requirement etc.  Maybe you did move here to see that?     A majority of Filipinos are more than happy to see the shift back towards a relationship with the USA.