Sen. Marcos questions shipment of 39 M gallons of fuel from Pearl Harbor

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Lee1154 said:

To follow the footsteps of Japan during WWII.

You're saying Taiwan first and next the Philippines will follow the footsteps of Japan ref WWII?

Is that what you actually mean?

Avalon
Posted
Posted

The US forward bases now in place here serve the interests of the US significantly more than they do the Philippines.  The US needs facilities to support their projection of power in the South China Sea particularly in regard to the China-Taiwan dispute that they are actively trying to stoke.  Jan 2023 when President Marcos visited China he was clear with the Chinese that these bases would never be used to support any operations outside the Philippines.  I watched an interview he gave then on the main Chinese media channels where he stressed disputes could be settled between the two countries and expressly said the US had no role to play in these talks.  He then centred the discussions on trade and investment, right where they should be.

Now that Taiwan elections are over, while the pro-independence President was re-elected, the Parliament is now held by a majority of the two opposition parties who both favour an enhanced relationship with China.  Regardless the US Congress is sending a delegation to Taiwan in the next week or so to stir the pot further.  When Pelosi visited and caused such a furore one of the main daily papers ran a poll - and 70% of respondents said they's prefer she stayed away to avoid further escalation.

Let's not forget the US official position:

• The United States' One-China policy was first stated in the Shanghai Communiqué of 1972: "the United States acknowledges that Chinese on either side of the Taiwan Strait maintain there is but one China and that Taiwan is a part of China. The United States does not challenge that position."

Both China and Taiwan have no interest currently in forcing this issue - but the US arms industry is making a killing on sales to the island and as this is currently the only real growth industry in the US, and with the money it funnels to decision-makers, it has political clout.

The world is going through a sea change currently, heading to a much more multi-polar world.  Empires rise and fall.  At the end of WW2 we saw the collapse of the British Empire with the US and the USD taking a pre-eminent position.  Now that empire is in decline both economically and militarily, history shows us that such transitions from falling to rising empires are more often than not accompanied by wars fostered by the declining empires. 

From Wikipedia:

• The Thucydides Trap, or Thucydides' Trap, is a term popularized by American political scientist Graham T. Allison to describe an apparent tendency towards war when an emerging power threatens to displace an existing great power as a regional or international hegemon. The term exploded in popularity in 2015 and primarily applies to analysis of China–United States relations.

US - China conflict is to be expected - but the Philippines and other regional countries should not be buying into it - particularly when the Pentagon, the Rand Corporation and others have repeatedly found in their simulations that China will prevail in any such conflict.

Having said that I'm all for the Philippines to enter into training and other exercises and agreements with the US, UK, Australia and Russia etc as this benefits the military of both countries with experience and exposure to new and unfamiliar techniques and environments.  But the Philippines should never again be the subservient partner.

As to the money needed to upgrade the AFP, the money is here but not currently allocated to this purpose.  I won't go into Philippines politics as I plan to stay here forever and discussing Philippines politics in a public forum would not be a wise choice.

Moving forward, the future is bright for the Philippines and for my children and grandchildren here I'm very optimistic.  While the West - the US, EU, UK and Canada - but not Australia - are in irreversible decline - EurAsia is on the ascent and we are in a box seat to benefit from that.  The country should focus on mutually beneficial collaboration with its neighbours, and stay out of disputes it has no business being in.

• Thanks 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Avalon
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I miss the days when all we chatted about was the price of beer and the neighbour's barking dogs!

Valid point, I'll go back to comments on less controversial topics...

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Avalon said:

The US needs facilities to support their projection of power in the South China Sea particularly in regard to the China-Taiwan dispute that they are actively trying to stoke.

In your world, is China responsible for anything? 

• Love it 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Avalon said:

While the West - the US, EU, UK and Canada - but not Australia - are in irreversible decline - EurAsia is on the ascent and we are in a box seat to benefit from that. 

ok nostradamus

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I miss the days when all we chatted about was the price of beer and the neighbour's barking dogs!

Well HK, we have over last few weeks had some members (who and I have said it before)  seem to have an Agenda to try and disrupt the Forum, they don't last long ( Thank Goodness) So hopefully we can get back to our nice and content  way of life here :tiphat:

• Like 1

Avalon
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Well HK, we have over last few weeks had some members (who and I have said it before)  seem to have an Agenda to try and disrupt the Forum, they don't last long ( Thank Goodness) So hopefully we can get back to our nice and content  way of life here :tiphat:

I don't have an agenda, I thought we were having a dialogue and I was enjoying the input.  My apologies, I'll let you get back to your nice and content way of life, happy siesta.

Avalon
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

ok nostradamus

You don't read the news?