Has Anyone Recently Sent a Pet to USA?

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Simple questions.... actually two:

Has anyone recently shipped a dog to USA?

If so, what were the requirements and (I guess this makes it three questions) how difficult was it?

Thanks

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Simple questions.... actually two:

Has anyone recently shipped a dog to USA?

If so, what were the requirements and (I guess this makes it three questions) how difficult was it?

Thanks

This is just the U.S. importation part:

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/dogs.html

I think the opening part is not quite accurate because I think it is possible, but requires quarantine.

Most airlines do not allow snub nosed breeds to fly.

• Thanks 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted

"Recent" is relative but here's my experience. We brought over 1 Shiu-tzu dog and 2 cats over a six year period on 3 separate trips. Last one was about a year ago. It's run the gamut from easy to a total cluster****. From my experience the main problem is getting them out of the phils, not entering the US. This was from Cebu, Davao would be a different story. On the last trip Quatar Airlines tried everything they could to not accept the cat, then finally did and JetBlue refused to take it on the last connecting domestic leg because we hadn't bought the ticket directly from them. I had to buy another ticket from Delta to get wife and cat from JFK to TPA. Avoid JetBlue and JFK if at all possible!

Follow the instructions; get export permit, vaccs, check w/airlines and hope for best. They all have different rules. You'll probably sail through no problem.

• Thanks 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, MikeB said:

"Recent" is relative but here's my experience. We brought over 1 Shiu-tzu dog and 2 cats over a six year period on 3 separate trips. Last one was about a year ago. It's run the gamut from easy to a total cluster****. From my experience the main problem is getting them out of the phils, not entering the US. This was from Cebu, Davao would be a different story. On the last trip Quatar Airlines tried everything they could to not accept the cat, then finally did and JetBlue refused to take it on the last connecting domestic leg because we hadn't bought the ticket directly from them. I had to buy another ticket from Delta to get wife and cat from JFK to TPA. Avoid JetBlue and JFK if at all possible!

Follow the instructions; get export permit, vaccs, check w/airlines and hope for best. They all have different rules. You'll probably sail through no problem.

What year was the Shiu Tzu?  I remember a few years ago @intrepid was not able to bring theirs to the U.S.

intrepid
Posted
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

What year was the Shiu Tzu?  I remember a few years ago @intrepid was not able to bring theirs to the U.S.

The breed of our dog was Lhasa Apso.  Very similar to the Shih Tzu.  These breeds are in the category of snub nose breeds.  We could not locate an airline in 2020 that would fly snub nose dogs.  The below article has a good explanation of the hows and whys.

As a side note, if the dog is a puppy and/or small enough to fit a pet carrier that will fit under the seat, it seems they will allow it.  I think the reason may be you are fully responsible for its health and safety, not the airline.

https://www.pets2fly.com/en/flying-a-snub-nosed-dog/

Edited by intrepid
additional info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love it 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

2011. She's a Shih Tzu (finally got spelling right) Maltese mix and considered snub nose. Still have her. We flew KAL and AA for final leg. At the time KAL allowed her in cargo, not cabin. AA was the opposite; allowed in cabin, not cargo so we had to put her under seat in DFW for last leg. They all have different rules, don't assume anything, ask as many questions as possible and hope for best.

To bring a cat into US you don't even need proof of rabies vaccine but dog you do. If you're bringing dog from some countries (including phils) you also need screw worm vacc or statement from vet (dated within 5 days of departure) that dog is screw worm-free. At least that's the way it was.

USDA APHIS | Pet Travel - Bringing Pet Dogs into the United States

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Ours is 30kg K-9 Belgian. No snub-nose here. He is fine when caged, but can be a bit wild outside if he sees or smells, goats or cats.

Thanks for the info. I will do some research to augment what you all have posted...

Ram1957
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

Ours is 30kg K-9 Belgian. No snub-nose here. He is fine when caged, but can be a bit wild outside if he sees or smells, goats or cats.

Thanks for the info. I will do some research to augment what you all have posted...

Heres the current CDC guidelines. https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/dog-origin.html#option-b

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Doubt you’ll have any problems with that breed. But one other thing to take into consideration (if you haven’t already). The weather along your route.

A German friend flew to Denver from Germany via Chicago. Temps in Chicago were well below 0. His flight from there to Denver got cancelled and rescheduled for the next day. They wouldn’t let him take his dog to the hotel. Dog nearly froze to death. When he picked it up in Denver it showed signs of frostbite to its nose, paws and privates. He eventually did get some compensation from Lufthansa, but it wasn’t much and certainly not enough for the trauma both he and his best friend in the world suffered. 

• Sad 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

Doubt you’ll have any problems with that breed. But one other thing to take into consideration (if you haven’t already). The weather along your route.

A German friend flew to Denver from Germany via Chicago. Temps in Chicago were well below 0. His flight from there to Denver got cancelled and rescheduled for the next day. They wouldn’t let him take his dog to the hotel. Dog nearly froze to death. When he picked it up in Denver it showed signs of frostbite to its nose, paws and privates. He eventually did get some compensation from Lufthansa, but it wasn’t much and certainly not enough for the trauma both he and his best friend in the world suffered. 

The weather along the route would only matter for lengthy layovers or delays though, as the hold is temperature controlled just like the main cabin.  

• Like 1