U.S. Credit Cards Without Foreign Transaction Fees - Survey

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Carryon from another post....

I have a U.S. CapitalOne Mastercard that I get Travel Rewards with.  I have had it for a long time, probably close to 20 years.  I think the cash back cards offer some better rewards now, although they make it difficult to compare.  I have had some good travel benefits but they changed the scheme a while back so it takes longer to build up and use.

A key to using a card here in PH is that there are no foreign transaction fees.  I don't care about ATM fees because I would never use a credit card at an atm here unless it was a dire emergency.

I need to get a new card and it seems others are interested in this topic.  If you have a card that has No Foreign Transaction Fees, share your information with us.  I will start.  I know that the Cashback % sometimes can only apply to certain purchases.  Perhaps put the general % and more details in a comment.

Card Name                              Type of Reward             % Cashback             Annual Fee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CapitalOne World                   Travel Points                  N/A                          $20

Example                                  Cashback                      3%                            $30

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have a AMEX Delta card and there is no foreign transaction fee. Annual fee is around $100USD but I save that much in baggage fees. They also have very good rental car coverage.

Edited by Possum
  • Like 2

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Possum said:

I have a AMEX Delta card and there is no foreign transaction fee. Annual fee is around $100USD but I save that much in baggage fees. They also have very good rental car coverage.

Some of the AMEX cashback cards are in this list.

https://www.bestmoney.com/credit-cards/compare-cashback-cards?bkw=highest cash back credit card&bcampid=458201360&bcamp=Credit Cards - Cash Back Bing&bagid=1178678174488166&bag=highest cash back credit card&btarid=kwd-73667636967753:loc-149&bidm=be&bnet=s&bd=c&bmobval=0&bt=search&c=73667585700999&m=e&k=73667636967753&&bphysical=142768&bfeedid=&binterest=&a=B7773&ts=&topic=&upf=&clicktype=&msclkid=ac33feddd65217d22bd39b703d6ab8c4

Some of the cashback cards only apply to U.S. purchases or certain types of businesses like groceries.  That would not be good for a Philippine expat.

Edited by OnMyWay

gbmmbg
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have a U.S. CapitalOne Mastercard that I get Travel Rewards with.  I have had it for a long time, probably close to 20 years

I have had  the same card for almost 25 years. I used to receive 10% back on gas. It was great for the 15 years or so before they changed the terms. Now i get 2% back on everything so i cant complain. 

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I have a U.S. CapitalOne Mastercard that I get Travel Rewards with.  I have had it for a long time, probably close to 20 years.  I think the cash back cards offer some better rewards now, although they make it difficult to compare.  I have had some good travel benefits but they changed the scheme a while back so it takes longer to build up and use.

A key to using a card here in PH is that there are no foreign transaction fees.  I don't care about ATM fees because I would never use a credit card at an atm here unless it was a dire emergency.

I need to get a new card and it seems others are interested in this topic.  If you have a card that has No Foreign Transaction Fees, share your information with us.  I will start.  I know that the Cashback % sometimes can only apply to certain purchases.  Perhaps put the general % and more details in a comment.

Card Name                              Type of Reward             % Cashback             Annual Fee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CapitalOne World                   Travel Points                  N/A                          $20

Example                                  Cashback                      3%                            $30

Chase Sapphire Preferred, great cash back and no foreign transaction fees.   AMEX Delta, no foreign Transaction fees.  My AMEX Card was much better when I was working for a living as I was able to accrue TONS of flying miles.  AMEX now offers a High Yield Savings account with no minimum.      Primarily use the Chase card now.

Edited by craftbeerlover
  • Like 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

I get miles and/or dollars towards ticket purchases on all purchases anywhere I've been but the main advantage to me is no foreign transaction fees. That plus the baggage advantage which helps when traveling with 3 women that pack like they are never coming home.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, Possum said:

the baggage advantage

What exactly is this?

baronapart
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Possum said:

I get miles and/or dollars towards ticket purchases on all purchases anywhere I've been but the main advantage to me is no foreign transaction fees. That plus the baggage advantage which helps when traveling with 3 women that pack like they are never coming home.

The $200 airline incidental allowance on my Platinum gets eaten up quickly by my wife's gift packing on trips home.

Gator
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

Chase Sapphire Preferred, great cash back and no foreign transaction fees.   AMEX Delta, no foreign Transaction fees.  My AMEX Card was much better when I was working for a living as I was able to accrue TONS of flying miles.  AMEX now offers a High Yield Savings account with no minimum.      Primarily use the Chase card now.

Same here with my CitiBank American Airlines card. When I had a business in the USA I’d accrue tens of thousands of miles per year. Until they changed their terms during the pandemic I always had more than enough miles to travel in business/first class for next to no out of pocket costs. Only a few dollars for the taxes. Also no foreign transaction fees and admission to any Admirals club in any airport worldwide. But since they changed their terms of service it seems like I can only use the remaining miles for domestic flights in the USA. Now I rarely use the card - I keep it only as a back up for emergencies as I have a very high credit limit on it. 

Also have:  

An Apple Card. No international transaction fees, 1-3% cash back (depends on where used) and no annual fee. 

A Capital One card, no international transaction fees, between 2-5 points awarded depending on where it’s used. Points can be converted to offset the bill, for cash (they send a check) or for gift cards from a plethora of businesses. 

A Bank of America business card, no annual fees, 3-6% cash back, but I can only use it for USA based transactions as it does have an international transaction fee. 

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

As stated before there are different cards with different benefits issued by the same company so it does take some time to read the details.  For example Capital One offers four cards.

VentureOne Rewards for Good Credit

VentureOne Rewards

Venture Rewards...this is the one I have

Venture X Rewards

https://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/travel-and-miles/?external_id=WWW_XXXXX_ZZZ_ONL-SE_ZZZZZ_T_SEM2_ZZZZ_c_Zg_2f8704d8-365d-41e3-a6e6-31895b869d7f_687052894956_779472&target_id=kwd-27156242747&oC=CO5ed2SUs1&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAwbitBhDIARIsABfFYILXaqfeCtV6xvaxNqQkcTqAhJvoMV7BJczdlN_vuseBEB1bQzy6c2caAqg0EALw_wcB

• Like 1