U.S. Credit Cards Without Foreign Transaction Fees - Survey

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Gator said:

I used a friends address. We made a rental agreement indicating I was renting a room from him. A simple boiler plate one downloaded from the internet. Used it recently to open a new bank account without any problems and added my mail forwarding address as the mailing address. 

Yes, I will have to do that.  I think I will use my friend's address in Ohio.  If I use a family address in California, California will probably start sending me nasty tax requests again.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gator said:

We made a rental agreement indicating I was renting a room from him.

Some asked for that?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

California will probably start sending me nasty tax requests again.

Yes.  California has the nastiest tax collectors.  Aside from high taxes, this is another reason why so many are moving out of state.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Some asked for that?

Yes, Wells Fargo did when I opened an account with them last November. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, intrepid said:

#4;  Yes, both flights and hotels. 

Did you find the prices to be about the same as elsewhere?  We are always looking for sales.  I booked PAL Manila to Bohol a week ago for only 13k for 5 of us.  Cap One Travel would be another source to look at and consider the miles you would earn, which is 5X on flights (Venture X)

So, thinking out loud, if I booked $1000 air travel on Cap One Travel, it would earn 5000 miles, which is about $50, right?  $950 net.  So that is the number I would compare to booking elsewhere.

The $300 annual credit is only good to spend on Cap One Travel, but the 10,000 annual bonus miles is basically $100 to spend on any travel.

The Priority Pass unlimited lounge access is nice.  They have 7 lounges at NAIA.

I was already preapproved after using my friend's address.  I will probably pull the trigger today.

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

Did you find the prices to be about the same as elsewhere?  We are always looking for sales.  I booked PAL Manila to Bohol a week ago for only 13k for 5 of us.  Cap One Travel would be another source to look at and consider the miles you would earn, which is 5X on flights (Venture X)

Usually the prices are very close to the same, sometimes just a little lower.  However, a couple times a year they have a travel sale.  Last fall I was looking to book a flight for the three of us to FT Myers, Fl.  The best I could find on the travel sites was $129. each RT.  Same as Cap One Travel.  A few weeks later I received a notice from the CO App they were having a sale on flights.  I was able to purchase that flight for $78. each

So, thinking out loud, if I booked $1000 air travel on Cap One Travel, it would earn 5000 miles, which is about $50, right?  $950 net.  So that is the number I would compare to booking elsewhere.

CORRECT

The $300 annual credit is only good to spend on Cap One Travel, but the 10,000 annual bonus miles is basically $100 to spend on any travel.

The Priority Pass unlimited lounge access is nice.  They have 7 lounges at NAIA.

I was already preapproved after using my friend's address.  I will probably pull the trigger today.

Another benefit if you did not know, CO Venture will give a $100 credit for TSA Global Entry Pre Check.  I think you can do one family member per year,...I think

• 2 weeks later...
OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 1/24/2024 at 7:00 AM, OnMyWay said:

Well, so much for that idea.  I received a letter at the Ohio address I used, requesting government issued id.  The only two choices are Ohio drivers license or Ohio state id.

Considering a card from SDFU.  They don't care where you live.  No FTC, $200 signup bonus, 2% Cashback on everything, and no annual fee.

• Hmm thinking 1

baronapart
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Well, so much for that idea.  I received a letter at the Ohio address I used, requesting government issued id.  The only two choices are Ohio drivers license or Ohio state id.

Considering a card from SDFU.  They don't care where you live.  No FTC, $200 signup bonus, 2% Cashback on everything, and no annual fee.

I have an account there. I use the debit card for ATM withdrawals in the Philippines. Works every time. Even in the most remote places. I have the 2% CB card but I haven't used it in the Philippines yet. I use cash for almost everything there.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, baronapart said:

I have an account there. I use the debit card for ATM withdrawals in the Philippines. Works every time. Even in the most remote places. I have the 2% CB card but I haven't used it in the Philippines yet. I use cash for almost everything there.

Are there fees for using the debit card card in the Philippines?  I don't have a debit card with my Basic checking account, but I think there would be fees if I get one.  There are two other checking accounts with higher balance requirements.  One has $15 foreign transaction fees reimbursable and the other $25.

baronapart
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Are there fees for using the debit card card in the Philippines?  I don't have a debit card with my Basic checking account, but I think there would be fees if I get one.  There are two other checking accounts with higher balance requirements.  One has $15 foreign transaction fees reimbursable and the other $25.

I looked back at my records. I was charged a 1% VISA ISA CHARGE / VISA INTERNATIONAL SERVICE ASSESSMENT fee. No other fees.

• Like 1