IPTV - Expat Vision

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, insite said:

Thanks HKB ,

Your thoughts are welcome.

I was of the opinion the Converge indeed piggybacked on PLDT

My current ISP is Starlink - there is a dish , on the roof of 4 story building and so no obstructions , and a modem ( which I have bypassed ) - the dish is connected directly to a three station Xiaomi mesh down through the house.

There is no fiber cable - it a satellite feed.

I think it can only be one of two things , either EV have problems with their servers  ( but that would not explain why HB is not having this problem unless perhaps it is to do with geo location as he is CDO and I Davao ) or there is congestion on the Starlink feed .

Isn't technology just great when it works .................

Yep, after posting I realised that your Starlink set-up is satellite so there can be no fiber cable issue - that probably reduces the likelihood of an ISP issue.

I guess your options are first to try another ISP or another IPTV provider.  I'd try the other IPTV provider first, I'm sure you can get a one-month trial easy enough to test it out. (I wouldn't read too much into HB not having a problem as who knows what back-office set-up they have which may separate different subscribers to a different relay etc).  If that also has issues then you're down to the ISP or Starlink itself.  Given you've moved ISP but not the problem that would leave Starlink as the likelier culprit. 

Not much help, I know. 

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, insite said:

Are you aware of othre expats using the system either on Mindinao or elsewhere in the Phills ?

Unfortunately not. All the other expats in my area are American and they seem to use US based internet tv providers. 

Huggybearman
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, hk blues said:

Out of interest - do Converge share resources with  PLDT i.e. the same mainline fiber cable?

I don't think so. About a year or so ago they had a big publicity feature in the local media celebrating the arrival of their underwater cable on a beach near to Cagayan de Oro. They also had lots of cable laying machines digging trenches all over the local area to install their cables.

As I mentioned in my first post, PLDT had proved extremely unreliable over the years I had their internet. To a lesser extent, Globe also had reliability issues. I would think if Converge were piggy-backing off their cables then they also would have reliability issues. I have had Converge for nearly a year now and have found their reliability excellent!  
I keep Globe as a backup just in case as my wife teaches online and needs a reliable connection. Converge, apart from a couple of occasions when they inadvertent disconnected my cable have been absolutely reliable. I am tempted to ditch Globe as well as we rarely need to use it. But that might be tempting fate!  

• Thanks 1

insite
Posted
Posted (edited)

https://developingtelecoms.com/telecom-technology/enterprise-ecosystems/11267-converge-ict-acquires-2-pldt-cable-landing-stations-in-philippines.html

Fiber broadband provider Converge ICT Solutions Inc is acquiring the stake of PLDT unit Digital Telecommunications Philippines (Digitel) in two firms involved in cable landing stations in the Philippines.

The telecommunication service provider said that has acquired shares of Digital Telecommunications Phils. Inc. (DTPI) in Digitel Crossing Inc. (DCI) and Asia Netcom Philippines Corp. (ANPC) for a total of $7.5 million (P358.47 million) to gain “strategic imperative to expand its capabilities in telecommunications.”

According to the report, Converge the transaction has been completed as of Wednesday, June 2. This means that the fiber provider now owns a 60% controlling stake in ANPC and a 40% stake in DCI. ANPC has a 20% share in DCI.

Digitel, whose other major shareholder is Pacnet Network (Philippines) Inc. of Australian telecom giant Telstra, maintains and operates cable landing stations in the Philippines connected to the EAC and C2C cable systems. Together the two submarine cable systems have eight landing points in Singapore, Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, and the Philippines, spanning 19,800 kilometers with a design capacity of 2.56Tbps.

International cable systems are the unseen backbone of internet services used by billions of people around the world and make landfall in facilities called landing stations.

The deal was also expected to bring cost benefits for Converge, which is increasing its presence in the international cable segment amid an aggressive expansion program, it said. Converge aims to cover 55% of Filipino households by 2025

Edited by Mike J
Added article text per forum guidelines.
  • Thanks 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

@insite Please post the both the URL and the article text when posting.  This will preserve the relevant information for future readers if the URL becomes broken.  Thanks.

insite
Posted
Posted

Do any of the members have a reliable IPTV service that actually works that they might suggest as an alternative to EV.

I have tried a few but they have not been very impressive.

jimeve
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, insite said:

Do any of the members have a reliable IPTV service that actually works that they might suggest as an alternative to EV.

I have tried a few but they have not been very impressive.

If your on facebook you can try this.Mark Mccoo been with him for two years. It's not great but 4k pesos a year it's okay. I have it for English football only but loads of films and live British TV. I don't like live British TV means getting up very early.

Marks lives in the Phils BTW.

insite
Posted
Posted

Regrettably I cannot contact him this way as I refuse to have anything to do with feces book or its apps.

EV gave the full Sky UK + ++ ( but not the thousands of unwanted countries ) , with a very user friendly interface and catch up for two weeks.

They consider themselves " validated " unlike many others ( but not all )  operating in the shadows this week and a different shadow next hence their higher fee.

Worked for years , just not so good now.

Thanks for the heads up regardless.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, jimeve said:

If your on facebook you can try this.Mark Mccoo been with him for two years. It's not great but 4k pesos a year it's okay. I have it for English football only but loads of films and live British TV. I don't like live British TV means getting up very early.

Marks lives in the Phils BTW.

Just FYI but if you only watch EPL on your IPTV then you can save yourself 4k a year and watch on Setanta for free.  I've been watching all season and they show all the games live as well as highlights and full replays. No issues whatsoever with buffering etc.  But, no FA Cup.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, hk blues said:

Just FYI but if you only watch EPL on your IPTV then you can save yourself 4k a year and watch on Setanta for free.  I've been watching all season and they show all the games live as well as highlights and full replays. No issues whatsoever with buffering etc.  But, no FA Cup.  

Yeah, I have Setanta on my PC just for backup. If I can get Satenta on my TV I will watch that. Today's main game and my team Manchester City play Everton at 8:30 pm.