Going to Egypt, I need some food advice!

justdavid
Posted
Posted

Hey guys, my wife  and I are planning a trip to Egypt later this year and had a few questions. Several friends who have been mentioned getting sick from some of the street foods or smaller restaurants. As someone new to traveling there, what types of local dishes are generally safe to eat? I'd love to try authentic cuisine but also don't want to spend the whole trip ill! Also, as first timers, do you think it would be worth booking a guide? We love exploring independently but are worried about food safety or missing out on great sites without inside knowledge. Any recommendations for places to eat that won't cause issues? Or advice on whether a guide is a good investment? We want to fully experience the culture without risking our health. Any tips would be much appreciated! Egypt looks absolutely breathtaking and we don't want something like unsafe food to ruin the trip. Thank you in advance! 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, justdavid said:

Any tips would be much appreciated! Egypt looks absolutely breathtaking and we don't want something like unsafe food to ruin the trip. Thank you in advance! 

For me, after a bad trip many years ago

How to avoid a bad stomach in Egypt?

where possible, avoid eating salads and uncooked vegetables. only eat fruit they can peel. avoid unpasteurised milk, cheese and ice cream. avoid food that has been left uncovered in warm environments and exposed to flies.
  • Like 4

Freebie
Posted
Posted

Take plenty of immodium . I lived in Jordan and was in Syria often plus Egypt. In theory all the standard hummus , tabouleh, babaghanoush, laban, labneh , shish tawouk etc all should/could be safe but you could have some reactions, to tahina sauce or other ingrdients.

Even hamour ( fish ) messah of should be ok...but all this is in theory. Figure that you will lose a day or two along the way to LBMs.. make sure not to drink anything with ice or non bottled water.. check the water bottles are sealed. Same precautions you would take in provinces here..but again... immodium will be your friend.. dont leave home without it.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, Freebie said:

immodium will be your friend

Along with hand sanitizer and pocket sized disposable butt / baby wipes. 

• Like 1

justdavid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

For me, after a bad trip many years ago

How to avoid a bad stomach in Egypt?

where possible, avoid eating salads and uncooked vegetables. only eat fruit they can peel. avoid unpasteurised milk, cheese and ice cream. avoid food that has been left uncovered in warm environments and exposed to flies.

I would take note of this. Thank you so much! 

• Thanks 1

justdavid
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Freebie said:

Take plenty of immodium . I lived in Jordan and was in Syria often plus Egypt. In theory all the standard hummus , tabouleh, babaghanoush, laban, labneh , shish tawouk etc all should/could be safe but you could have some reactions, to tahina sauce or other ingrdients.

Even hamour ( fish ) messah of should be ok...but all this is in theory. Figure that you will lose a day or two along the way to LBMs.. make sure not to drink anything with ice or non bottled water.. check the water bottles are sealed. Same precautions you would take in provinces here..but again... immodium will be your friend.. dont leave home without it.

I would not forget bringing Imodium. Mostly I heard that they have LBMs after eating, that's why I'm kinda anxious about what to eat there. How about getting a guide in Egypt? Did u get a guide when you visited Egypt? Thank you so much! 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, justdavid said:

How about getting a guide in Egypt?

Egypt is a  one of those countries that rely on Tourism and thus is open to a fair amount of Undesirables, Talk to the Hotel for Advice on Guides :tiphat:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

just a little more on guides;

How safe is it on Egypt Tours?

If you decide to travel to Egypt:
  • Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
  • Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
  • Obtain comprehensive medical insurance that includes medical evacuation.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
  • Like 1
  • Love it 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

For hundreds of years, visitors have been arriving in Egypt and the entire tourism industry have perfected methods to fleece them.  Just be prepared to pay double or triple.  There is no shame associated with taking advantage of you.  Drink water, beer or coke from the bottle.  No fresh vegetables.  Everything must be overcooked, preferably prepared in front of you.  Stay at the best hotels, dine at the best restaurants.  Don't go native.  You may not survive.  By the way, "Happy Trip!"

• Like 2

Freebie
Posted
Posted

And check the smell of your chicken before consuming. If it Smells slightly off, return it.

I had lunch once in Sheraton in Damascus. Then drove back to Amman Jordan .

Its 200kms and I could tell something wasnt right. Customs on Jordanian side had a suprisingly clean dunny which I well used .

Arriving in Amman I knew I had the the chicken revenge . Arrived in my house, and was only able to arise from my bed 4 days later.

During that time I lost 7kgs. 

• Like 1