Going to Egypt, I need some food advice!

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Don't forget to bring a lot of Immodium...

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, justdavid said:

Yes, I've heard that they really rely on their tourism which is reasonable and  a friend of mine recommended  https://gowithguide.com/egypt this guides for me. Do you think this good?  I'm afraid I might choose a wrong guide or do you have any recommendation for guides? I would really appreciate not really expert on choosing but reco would be a big help! Thank you in advance! 

Only book a registered Guide, as I said before, get advice on Tourist Board Registered Guides from the Hotel or Tourist Office. :tiphat:

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, justdavid said:

Yes, I've heard that they really rely on their tourism which is reasonable and  a friend of mine recommended  https://gowithguide.com/egypt this guides for me. Do you think this good?  I'm afraid I might choose a wrong guide or do you have any recommendation for guides? I would really appreciate not really expert on choosing but reco would be a big help! Thank you in advance! 

Like Jack has advised, talk to the hotel for advice on guides.  Personally, I'd avoid any guide found via a website link that a 'friend' recommended unless your friend is indeed a friend and has personal experience of the guide being recommended.  This may come as a surprise to you, but there are a few dodgy characters online trying to promote all sorts of stuff. :whistling:

• Like 3

justdavid
Posted
Posted
On 2/16/2024 at 12:16 PM, Jack Peterson said:

Only book a registered Guide, as I said before, get advice on Tourist Board Registered Guides from the Hotel or Tourist Office. :tiphat:

Yes, I will surely do that. Thank you so much. I appreciate your help and advice!  

justdavid
Posted
Posted
On 2/16/2024 at 4:13 PM, hk blues said:

Like Jack has advised, talk to the hotel for advice on guides.  Personally, I'd avoid any guide found via a website link that a 'friend' recommended unless your friend is indeed a friend and has personal experience of the guide being recommended.  This may come as a surprise to you, but there are a few dodgy characters online trying to promote all sorts of stuff. :whistling:

I agree with you, I saw some stuff like that. I will surely talk to the hotel for advice on guides, in this way it will safer and sure. Thank you so much for your help!

Sailor Jerry
Posted
Posted

Hi @justdavid  Because there was simply too much to see, I've travelled in and through Egypt 4 times & never had any trouble but have seen & encountered people who'd had some issues a few times. The wise tips given already by the Gents here re the Imodium & what to eat should you ever get food poisoning or just plain ole diarrhea are the best. Other things are to always have some Electrolytes on hand (lots of types available in sachets or tubes to put in your water to assist with the hydration which is very important. good sunscreen if your fair like me & a few packs of dry biscuits are handy.

A personal tip from a 3+month Turkey trip is never eat cold food if you arrive in a town late and always open your own water bottles simple tips but when you're tired & hungry ppl often make incorrect choices. 

As for Egypt itself, hope it doesn't sound silly, but have a good look online before you go to see the places you are actually interested in & want to see, there's the 3 Pyramids of Giza near Cairo (the elegant old Grand Hotel in Cairo with a view of a good choice) then a trip down the Nile to Luxor (Arabic: Al-Uqsur) to see the two big Temple's & then the great Valley of the Kings & Valley of the Queens Tombs. imho All must see.

After that of course is "the other Egypt" the Sinai Peninsula, the land of Moses which has a different whole different culture, previously best known for Mount Sinai (Moses Mountain) & the famous Saint Catherine Monastery (amazing to watch the sun rise) but these days I think it's primarily known for its resorts on the Red Sea with its amazing coral reef diving & beaches. Sharm el Sheikh has many resorts, but my favourite place is the smaller Bedouin town of Dahab. My last trip my gf & I just went here and stayed for 7 weeks.

Last thing, after 9pm strolling around with your girl uncovered is not advisable. You know, When in Rome..

Overall, it doesn't take long, learn a dozen basic Arabic phrases or words which you'll appreciate when your there lol

Hope you have a great trip. Cheers

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Maxheadspace
Posted
Posted
On 2/15/2024 at 10:31 AM, justdavid said:

Hey guys, my wife  and I are planning a trip to Egypt later this year and had a few questions. 

I lived four years on the Arabian Peninsula and travelled extensively all over the region, including Egypt.  Never once got sick from food.  I recommend asking the hotel staff or concierge for suggestions, in addition to the online travel sites.  One of the things my wife and I do is the walking food and drink tours.  They usually will take you to four or five eating establishments in an evening where you get to sample different foods and/or drinks.  Also a great opportunity to meet other travelers.  We use the Viator site to find and book them and they can be a lot of fun.  Avoid fresh salads unless you're in a major hotel or high end restaurant.  Although I think tabouleh is pretty safe anywhere.  Lamb is probably the predominant meat, but if you keep an eye out, you may find camel on the menu.  Egypt is more liberal about alcohol than many other Muslim countries, but it is still kind of low-key.  Major hotels will certainly have bars, but you may have to search for alcohol-based nightlife.  Have a wonderful trip!

• Like 1