Going to Egypt, I need some food advice!

Ozzyboy
Posted
Posted

On another note, some background information to add to, Imodium is your friend (i'm looking at a packet right now) i kid you not, many of us have been there, in my case i ignored the chicken sniffing test and paid the price. But something to remember, if it happens to you.

Liquid   1, get a bottle of lemonade, shake the gas out and drink that only.

Solid     2, boil some (any) rice, white is OK don't add anything to it, eat that only

Buy some toilet paper, then cry.

Imodium.jpg

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Ozzyboy said:

boil some (any) rice, white is OK don't add anything to it, eat that only

Chinese food for a bad stomach is congee or Arroz Caldo (Lugaw).  The secret ingredient is ginger, lots of it.  It's basically overcooking rice using lots of water or chicken broth until it has the consistency of glue.  Actually, it is used as a cheap glue in the Philippines.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Chinese food for a bad stomach is congee or Arroz Caldo (Lugaw).  The secret ingredient is ginger, lots of it.  It's basically overcooking rice using lots of water or chicken broth until it has the consistency of glue.  Actually, it is used as a cheap glue in the Philippines.

Glue for lower intestine? I can see that. On another note ginger has been used for a sea sickness remedy for many years. So rice and ginger just makes sense.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Possum said:

On another note ginger has been used for a sea sickness remedy for many years. So rice and ginger just makes sense.

My wife would bring Dramamine pills for sea voyages.  They would make her drowsy.  Then she discovered Chinese ginger candy.  A bit too spicy for me, but they work.  

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Then she discovered Chinese ginger candy

I love candied ginger! I haven’t been to Cebu city in a while and was highly disappointed to learn that Robinsons took over the Rustans grocery store in Ayala mall. They did away with the section in their produce dept where you could buy all types of dried fruits including candied ginger. But I did find a candy seller (kiosk) on the lower floor that had it. Oh happy days! lol

justdavid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

just a little more on guides;

How safe is it on Egypt Tours?

If you decide to travel to Egypt:
  • Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners.
  • Avoid demonstrations and crowds.
  • Obtain comprehensive medical insurance that includes medical evacuation.
  • Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.

Thank you for these heads up! I do really appreciate this helps me to be more aware and safe. Thank you again! 

• Like 1

justdavid
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, JJReyes said:

For hundreds of years, visitors have been arriving in Egypt and the entire tourism industry have perfected methods to fleece them.  Just be prepared to pay double or triple.  There is no shame associated with taking advantage of you.  Drink water, beer or coke from the bottle.  No fresh vegetables.  Everything must be overcooked, preferably prepared in front of you.  Stay at the best hotels, dine at the best restaurants.  Don't go native.  You may not survive.  By the way, "Happy Trip!"

Paying for double or triple? that sounds big. I will surely just get things from the bottle. I will take note all of these! Do you have any recommendation for the hotels? Thank you in advance! 

justdavid
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, Freebie said:

And check the smell of your chicken before consuming. If it Smells slightly off, return it.

I had lunch once in Sheraton in Damascus. Then drove back to Amman Jordan .

Its 200kms and I could tell something wasnt right. Customs on Jordanian side had a suprisingly clean dunny which I well used .

Arriving in Amman I knew I had the the chicken revenge . Arrived in my house, and was only able to arise from my bed 4 days later.

During that time I lost 7kgs. 

Man, I am sorry to hear that about youre trip. I should really more cautious on eating foods there, are there any fast foods there?

justdavid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

My wife would bring Dramamine pills for sea voyages.  They would make her drowsy.  Then she discovered Chinese ginger candy.  A bit too spicy for me, but they work.  

I did try also Chinese ginger candy, it also works on me. 

justdavid
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Egypt is a  one of those countries that rely on Tourism and thus is open to a fair amount of Undesirables, Talk to the Hotel for Advice on Guides :tiphat:

Yes, I've heard that they really rely on their tourism which is reasonable and  a friend of mine recommended  https://gowithguide.com/egypt this guides for me. Do you think this good?  I'm afraid I might choose a wrong guide or do you have any recommendation for guides? I would really appreciate not really expert on choosing but reco would be a big help! Thank you in advance!