for the younger expats. health insurance/usa

usa32
Posted
Posted

For those younger expats, from usa below Medicare age. While I understand insurance is available for a reasonable cost through pacific cross and other providers for care provided in asia. What is everybody doing, or considering if a us citizen below 65, gets something serious cancer, heart issues etc, where you desire the best care possible in the usa. Are people just taking the risk it doesn't happen? If someone has assets and has to go back to the usa with no medical insurance for cancer treatment that costs 1 million USD, the care will clean them out financially. Any thoughts/opinions out there? Obviously once you are 65 and have medicare, you could use that to come home and get cancer treatment etc, without bankrupting you.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, usa32 said:

For those younger expats, from usa below Medicare age. While I understand insurance is available for a reasonable cost through pacific cross and other providers for care provided in asia. What is everybody doing, or considering if a us citizen below 65, gets something serious cancer, heart issues etc, where you desire the best care possible in the usa. Are people just taking the risk it doesn't happen? If someone has assets and has to go back to the usa with no medical insurance for cancer treatment that costs 1 million USD, the care will clean them out financially. Any thoughts/opinions out there? Obviously once you are 65 and have medicare, you could use that to come home and get cancer treatment etc, without bankrupting you.

Returning home for treatment may not be an option for certain conditions I.e. heart attack. So, you're relying on having conditions A rather than condition B.

I don't have a good answer - I balance all the pros and cons of living here and health care is a big con.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Effective insurance for catastrophic conditions in Philippines means little if there are few facilities capable of effective timely treatment. 

• Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Old55 said:

Effective insurance for catastrophic conditions in Philippines means little if there are few facilities capable of effective timely treatment. 

Yes. But, based on what I'm reading about the NHS in the UK it's not what it used to be. 2 weeks to see a Doc for example. 

usa32
Posted
Posted
On 2/17/2024 at 11:31 PM, Old55 said:

I agree. So obviously if your a UK citizen you have universal health care. I'm looking more for folks that are below 65 from the usa. This sure seems like a big thing. While there are only a certain amount of things you may want us healthcare for and able to get on a plane and get it. They do exist. If you get a treatable form of cancer. Do you want it treated in the Philippines or USA? Well that treatment could be a million dollars. And since we are US citizens and not illegal immigrants, we don't get free healthcare. The hospital bills will bankrupt you and end your Philippine dreams.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that "most" younger expats are going to be here for some sort of work related purpose. I see them all the time in Alabang and when we visit Asian Hospital and are probably covered by their employers as a term of employment. 

But it is a good question, next time I run into a younger expat I will ask and let the board know their response. :thumbsup:

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, usa32 said:

I agree. So obviously if your a UK citizen you have universal health care. I'm looking more for folks that are below 65 from the usa. This sure seems like a big thing. While there are only a certain amount of things you may want us healthcare for and able to get on a plane and get it. They do exist. If you get a treatable form of cancer. Do you want it treated in the Philippines or USA? Well that treatment could be a million dollars. And since we are US citizens and not illegal immigrants, we don't get free healthcare. The hospital bills will bankrupt you and end your Philippine dreams.

There have been quite a number of discussions about health insurance.   Using the search box insert the words "health insurance" and you will find what some forum members are using for insurance while living here.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, usa32 said:

I agree. So obviously if your a UK citizen you have universal health care. 

This isn't correct.

You need to be a UK resident (foreign residents also qualify) to get access to free NHS treatment - being a non-resident citizen doesn't get you free treatment on the NHS. 

usa32
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Mike J said:

There have been quite a number of discussions about health insurance.   Using the search box insert the words "health insurance" and you will find what some forum members are using for insurance while living here.

Correct. But not this specific situation, for americans under 65

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, hk blues said:

You need to be a UK resident (foreign residents also qualify) to get access to free NHS treatment - being a non-resident citizen doesn't get you free treatment on the NHS. 

While in Bristol, our then very young granddaughter had a minor accident that required a trip to a hospital.  After the treatment, our son asked for the bill and there was none.  He was informed that the NHS will reimburse the hospital for the treatment.  

• Like 1