for the younger expats. health insurance/usa

usa32
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Mike J said:

At your age, I think you basically have three health insurance options if you want to live in the Philippines

Buy health care insurance that will cover you in the Philippines

Buy health care insurance that will cover you in the US & the Philippines

Self insure

I agree. I can self insure in the Philippines no problem, but no one can afford to self insure if you get cancer or need heart surgery in the usa. Just trying to find a worthwhile company. I've heard some negative things about pacific cross, which is advertised to expats in the Philippines 

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, usa32 said:

Bupa was the insurance they both had? https://www.bupa.com/    I'll check them out if so. Thats what im looking for. I want insurance that will cover my in the Philippines for the things that can be handled there. but if I get cancer and have the option to go back to the usa to get the best treatment, then I want to do that. Sorry to hear about your father. Cancer is one of my biggest fears, especially living in the Philippines knowing the stuff we are breathing in etc.

Many hospitals in the Philippines should be avoided when more advanced treatment is required.  There are a handful advertised as international standard like St. Luke's at BGC and Makati Med in Makati.  Another way to locate a good hospital is to look for the list of clinics and hospitals that are approved under the Tri-Care system.  This is the health care insurance for active and retired American military.  To get on the list, the facility has to pass standards similar to accreditation in the United States. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Many hospitals in the Philippines should be avoided when more advanced treatment is required.  There are a handful advertised as international standard like St. Luke's at BGC and Makati Med in Makati.  Another way to locate a good hospital is to look for the list of clinics and hospitals that are approved under the Tri-Care system.  This is the health care insurance for active and retired American military.  To get on the list, the facility has to pass standards similar to accreditation in the United States. 

Good info.  Here is a search tool published by Tri-Care.

https://www.tricare-overseas.com/beneficiaries/philippines/philippine-provider-search

• Thanks 3