for the younger expats. health insurance/usa

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 2/17/2024 at 5:34 AM, usa32 said:

What is everybody doing, or considering if a us citizen below 65, gets something serious cancer, heart issues etc., where you desire the best care possible in the USA.

Uninsured US citizens below 65 years have options depending on which state they reside.  There are state agencies like Medical in California that will reimburse the costs if you are below a certain income threshold.  Another is Medicaid.  If you are in the hospital, a social services employee will go over the options with you.  There are also creative options like placing you in a medical study, such as a new, experimental cancer treatment, and the costs are covered.  Some hospitals have huge endowments that allows them to provide free treatment in certain situations.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, JJReyes said:

While in Bristol, our then very young granddaughter had a minor accident that required a trip to a hospital.  After the treatment, our son asked for the bill and there was none.  He was informed that the NHS will reimburse the hospital for the treatment.  

Yep, I'm not surprised - It's not like the USA or even here where they issue bills on demand and If the amount involved is small then it's not worth the effort.  But, if you're admitted to hospital with a heart attack, for example, you may well be billed.   Otherwise, there would be a line of 'tourists' waiting to get free treatment on the NHS.  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Otherwise, there would be a line of 'tourists' waiting to get free treatment on the NHS.  

Now I believe, when applying for a Tourist Visa to the UK there is an amount Payable per person  to cover the need if any for using the NHS. I am not sure if this is refundable so maybe others may chip in :tiphat:

• Thanks 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

Now I believe, when applying for a Tourist Visa to the UK there is an amount Payable per person  to cover the need if any for using the NHS. I am not sure if this is refundable so maybe others may chip in :tiphat:

Certainly it's the case with a permanent Visa for spouses, Jack - there is a pretty significant payment required to "buy into' the NHS. It's not refundable. 

• Thanks 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Another is Medicaid.  If you are in the hospital, a social services employee will go over the options with you.

Happened to friend near the end of 2022. He’s 58 and had a heart attack. Self employed and no medical insurance. In a way the pandemic helped as his income for the years prior was next to nothing and he had very little in savings. He had to show the prior two years of tax returns, an P&L statement for the current year and bank statements as well the lease for his apartment. He was able to get Medicaid and it covered almost everything including his meds. Only a few small co-pays were required. 

usa32
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Uninsured US citizens below 65 years have options depending on which state they reside.  There are state agencies like Medical in California that will reimburse the costs if you are below a certain income threshold.  Another is Medicaid.  If you are in the hospital, a social services employee will go over the options with you.  There are also creative options like placing you in a medical study, such as a new, experimental cancer treatment, and the costs are covered.  Some hospitals have huge endowments that allows them to provide free treatment in certain situations.

I dont want to go into too many details. But im 42, going on 43. And looking at retiring early in the next year. I'll have a 20 year gap until Medicare. Nor will I qualify for Medicaid of any help. Unfortunately, I'm also not an illegal migrant so they will expect me to pay for my care. Which with no health insurance could wipe me out for cancer etc.   .  I realize I may be in the minority based on age, and not working while in asia. 

usa32
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Gator said:

Happened to friend near the end of 2022. He’s 58 and had a heart attack. Self employed and no medical insurance. In a way the pandemic helped as his income for the years prior was next to nothing and he had very little in savings. He had to show the prior two years of tax returns, an P&L statement for the current year and bank statements as well the lease for his apartment. He was able to get Medicaid and it covered almost everything including his meds. Only a few small co-pays were required. 

correct. Unless you are poor or an illegal migrant, you don't get free healthcare in America. I'm neither :(

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, usa32 said:

I dont want to go into too many details. But im 42, going on 43. And looking at retiring early in the next year. I'll have a 20 year gap until Medicare. Nor will I qualify for Medicaid of any help. Unfortunately, I'm also not an illegal migrant so they will expect me to pay for my care. Which with no health insurance could wipe me out for cancer etc.   .  I realize I may be in the minority based on age, and not working while in asia. 

I don't know how to go about it, but one possibility is local insurance for Philippine medical care.  It's probably advertised on the Internet.  We also have Filipino friends who have insurance that covers them worldwide.  One of them, whose cancer is now in remission, kept traveling to the Medical Center at Stanford University for treatment.  My father, for his cancer, went to M.D. Anderson in Texas.  That's where he died after the last operation.  I don't know if he had insurance or paid out of pocket.  

The insurance company mentioned in conversation was Bupa(?) from Denmark.  Premiums must be high.  

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

At your age, I think you basically have three health insurance options if you want to live in the Philippines

Buy health care insurance that will cover you in the Philippines

Buy health care insurance that will cover you in the US & the Philippines

Self insure

usa32
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, JJReyes said:

I don't know how to go about it, but one possibility is local insurance for Philippine medical care.  It's probably advertised on the Internet.  We also have Filipino friends who have insurance that covers them worldwide.  One of them, whose cancer is now in remission, kept traveling to the Medical Center at Stanford University for treatment.  My father, for his cancer, went to M.D. Anderson in Texas.  That's where he died after the last operation.  I don't know if he had insurance or paid out of pocket.  

The insurance company mentioned in conversation was Bupa(?) from Denmark.  Premiums must be high.  

Bupa was the insurance they both had? https://www.bupa.com/    I'll check them out if so. Thats what im looking for. I want insurance that will cover my in the Philippines for the things that can be handled there. but if I get cancer and have the option to go back to the usa to get the best treatment, then I want to do that. Sorry to hear about your father. Cancer is one of my biggest fears, especially living in the Philippines knowing the stuff we are breathing in etc.