Miracles still happens

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Would any of us actually enforce such an agreement amongst family members, though?  At best, it may make repayment more likely but otherwise I'm not sure.  

My Wife does when needed, Those who default are a lesson to others that think we are any easy touch :tiphat:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

My Wife does when needed and this serves to others that we are not an easy Touch:tiphat:

Each to their own but personally I would prefer to refuse the loan than get into a legal situation with family members.  

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Lee said:

I play the money bad guy also in our family. They won't come to me to ask for anything---language barrier helps a bit here.

When family borrow smaller amounts from the wife, it's understood that we will never be repaid despite what they say. As the oldest brother told us a few years back (he's in his 70's now) that we are "obligated" to take care of the family and that they should never have to ever ask for money in the first place. 

A monthly stipend for each of sibling is what he had in mind.

F**k that! 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Each to their own but personally I would prefer to refuse the loan than get into a legal situation with family members.  

what can I sayWho knows (dave (1).jpg Never a lender or a Borrower be springs to mind here :571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, Lee said:

They won't come to me to ask for anything---language barrier helps a bit here.

Yes I use to get that when Emma told them we have a joint account so they must ask me for any money , all she got then was No our English is not that good , there English is better then mine 

• Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, stevewool said:

Yes I use to get that when Emma told them we have a joint account so they must ask me for any money , all she got then was No our English is not that good , there English is better then mine 

Indeed!

Only joking Steve! :hystery:

• Haha 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, Lee said:

As the oldest brother told us a few years back (he's in his 70's now) that we are "obligated" to take care of the family 

We sort of had this once we got married but was said by a brother in law , it’s our turn to look after the family now, he got both barrels , one from Emma saying he’s never helped the family at all, and then my turn , never spoke to him since 

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, stevewool said:

We sort of had this once we got married but was said by a brother in law , it’s our turn to look after the family now, he got both barrels , one from Emma saying he’s never helped the family at all, and then my turn , never spoke to him since 

Unfortunately it is they way many locals view us and Mate, I would have done exactly the same thing, I had one family member I refused a loan to tell me we thought you would be our Saviour Wrong matey I told him, I married your Sister not your  Family

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Kind of similar and also from a brother-in-law albeit in an indirect way but I could read between the lines.  Something along the lines of it's a shame that "sis" has worked so hard to get the house almost finished but not quite.  I replied that it was great she'd done her bit plus some and now it was up to one of the other 5 siblings to take up the baton.  He didn't. 

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking said:

Two years ago, I made a personal loan of 50000 pesos to my niece. I was prepared to never see this money again, but last day she called me over and said that she wanted to repay me.

It sure was a positive surprise!

Viking, you are probably considered the patriarch of the family if you have P50,000 to loan.  The correct response, culturally, is to refuse repayment if the reason for the loan is noble, such as education or medical.  On the issue of small dole-outs to the extended family, one solution is to give the spouse a monthly fix amount like P5,000 or P10,000.  Once this sum is gone, everyone has to wait until the following month.  Make sure everyone understands the rule.  No advances nor exceeding the monthly budget.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmm thinking 1